Autoregulating training

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Do you guys alter your training plan based on how you feel that day or do you tell yourself to "stop being a bitch" and do what you're scheduled to do? Struggling mightily with the idea of squatting today.

Dude, you make way too many of these posts. Lift or don’t. Only you are going to be able to make that decision for yourself.

I train according to my program. I plan things accordingly so that it’s work I can get done even on a “bad” day. Just because I feel off mentally doesn’t mean that my body isn’t rested and ready to go. On those days, I get the necessary work done and leave the gym.

Do you guys alter your training plan based on how you feel that day or do you tell yourself to "stop being a bitch" and do what you're scheduled to do? Struggling mightily with the idea of squatting today.

Depends. Are you prepping for a meet or something? What are you goals right now? What makes you not want to squat?

Depends. Are you prepping for a meet or something? What are you goals right now? What makes you not want to squat?
Being an absolute pussy bitch is why I don't want to squat. I have 565 for 5 doubles today. Thought I'd be getting crushed.
Here's the second set:

I'm autoregulating now, but I'm not really chasing #s. I have days where I feel like going heavy and days where I feel like just getting in a lot of volume. It seems to be working out fine for me as long as I'm realistic with myself. I do have days I still have to push through sets, and this is often on squats for me as well. High rep squats just feel brutal to me now that I'm older.

I'm autoregulating now, but I'm not really chasing #s. I have days where I feel like going heavy and days where I feel like just getting in a lot of volume. It seems to be working out fine for me as long as I'm realistic with myself. I do have days I still have to push through sets, and this is often on squats for me as well. High rep squats just feel brutal to me now that I'm older.
Thing is, I'm seeing Facebook memories of numbers 2 years ago that are higher than what I've been lifting now. If I want to tread water I can pick something else to do for training. If I keep lifting the same weights, I'm gonna keep lifting the same weights. Not a good feeling. However my form is much better than the videos years ago.

Thing is, I'm seeing Facebook memories of numbers 2 years ago that are higher than what I've been lifting now. If I want to tread water I can pick something else to do for training. If I keep lifting the same weights, I'm gonna keep lifting the same weights. Not a good feeling. However my form is much better than the videos years ago.

I mean people that autoregulate still progress and hit PRs. I don't think it can work for everyone though. You'll need to have experience and know what works for you. I'm not sure your age and life outside of lifting, but autoregulation almost seems necessary for me. I'm older and my body feels wrecked some days, but most importantly, I'm busy with work and kids too. I rarely miss lifting, but some sessions are much shorter than others out of necessity.

1. Based on that video you posted, you still have an incredible amount of form/technique issues you can fix.

2. Of course you keep treading water. Look at all the threads and posts you make about program hopping. Any observer could tell you that’s going to be an issue for you. Aside from getting injured and not being able to train, not being able to follow a plan or program long term is the best way to NOT make any progress.

We have this conversation with you on very frequent basis. If you want to get stronger, come up with a plan and stick to it long term. If you don’t want to get stronger, that’s perfectly fine, just be honest with yourself about it.

1. Based on that video you posted, you still have an incredible amount of form/technique issues you can fix.

2. Of course you keep treading water. Look at all the threads and posts you make about program hopping. Any observer could tell you that’s going to be an issue for you. Aside from getting injured and not being able to train, not being able to follow a plan or program long term is the best way to NOT make any progress.

We have this conversation with you on very frequent basis. If you want to get stronger, come up with a plan and stick to it long term. If you don’t want to get stronger, that’s perfectly fine, just be honest with yourself about it.
Yes, elbows should be under the bar more, thoracic mobility still sucks. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's better than gripping at the plates and doing a bent legged good morning like I used to.

Being an absolute pussy bitch is why I don't want to squat. I have 565 for 5 doubles today. Thought I'd be getting crushed.
Here's the second set:

That looked easy. You should find a meet, register and commit to a program that will allow you to peak at the right time for the meet.

I haven't barbell trained since January 2020, as I was too busy in February, and the lockdown started in March. But...

I do 5x5 ramped at 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100% of the session target. On the last set I actually fo 5+ reps, with 5 the minimum, 6 to 9 as a nice bonus, and 10 reps letting me double my 0.625kg jumps to 1.25kg.

If I miss more than half my reps on any set that week, or I miss reps two weeks running, I deload 10%.

It is basically the Greyskull LP linear progression with different exercises, and more forcus on cardio. After destroying my knees on Starting Strength and then getting frustrated at the snails pace on 5/3/1, it is a nice middle ground. Auto regulation is built it, but it allows for having a shit week where nothing is clicking.

If I am ill, hung over, rushed for time, or any other reason where I know beforehand I am unlikely to hit my target, I just make that an impromptu recovery day and only do the first 3 sets ramped.

That looked easy. You should find a meet, register and commit to a program that will allow you to peak at the right time for the meet.
What did you think of the depth? I'm sitting here watching the video over and over at .25 speed because you guys have given me crippling OCD lol

What did you think of the depth? I'm sitting here watching the video over and over at .25 speed because you guys have given me crippling OCD lol

From that angle depth looked fine. If I am concerned about depth, the camera or person watching has to have a side judges perspective.

Stick to the script. Having routine wrote out and ready days ahead fixed that issue of skipping lifts 'just didn't feel like doing today' . Stopped all the bouncing around between heavy day then high rep then HITT

I try to stick to the program I have for my main lifts. With accessory movements I tend to autoregulate.

Back