Average reach at various heights?

I always thought average reach was your height give or take an inch

looked up this thread because I thought I had a below average reach, then I realized, I am 5'11 or 71 inches high and my reach is 71 inches. I am exactly average.

Which kind of sucks, this way I have no advantage of power on the inside or of range from the outside. That's too bad.

Wouldn't that mean that you have an advantage at the mid range then? Maybe that would make you a good counter puncher as you're able to step into the pocket and counter shots at your optimal range.

I'm almost 5'9" and i have a reach of 69" so I think same height as reach. However I have short legs and a longer torso but I also have short arms. If I stand with my back to a wall next to a friend and we stick our arms out, most people (including shorter people) have significantly longer arms than me. I think I might have wider shoulders and back though. I punch pretty damn hard for my weight.

I'm almost 5'9" and i have a reach of 69" so I think same height as reach. However I have short legs and a longer torso but I also have short arms. If I stand with my back to a wall next to a friend and we stick our arms out, most people (including shorter people) have significantly longer arms than me. I think I might have wider shoulders and back though. I punch pretty damn hard for my weight.

Shoulder width ads to the reach. I do think that punching at close range gives guys with short reach power advantage. Kinda like Matt Serra at close range-

Resurrected this thread because I just measured my reach.
5'5" w/ 69" reach. I am further pleased with my manlet-iness

The actual average is the same as one's height.

For fighters, the average is usually a little longer by an inch or two for the arms relative to their height (because of the advantage).

I’m 74” (6’2”) tall but have an 84” reach. My arm length (armpit to fist) is 28”, my shoulder width is 20” add in middle finger length of 4” x2 and you get 84” fingertip to fingertip. Everyone is different.

Shoulder width ads to the reach. I do think that punching at close range gives guys with short reach power advantage. Kinda like Matt Serra at close range-
I agree, they probably get more torque due to only having to shift the energy a shorter distance.

A cool trick is that your height is equal to the distance you can cover with your arms extended to the side, so half that is about how far you can reach forward without moving your legs

Anything more then 3+ inches over/under is above/below average.

Back