Bagwork, pads or shadow boxing? Whats the most important

They are all important. If you aren't doing them all, you're wrong.

That being said, shadowboxing is hands down the least utilized and most overlooked of the 3. Someone mentioned they don't know anyone that shadow boxes for multiple rounds. Well you should be shadowboxing multiple rounds, several times a week.

If you are only shadowboxing for 20 seconds after wrapping your hands, then you are selling yourself seriously short.

Punch Pad Mania

Emanuel Steward: “They have the fighters punch the hand pads—pop, pop, pop—and they put on a show and make a lot of noise that’s impressive to the crowd and the media guys. But it’s just a show for the most part. Very
little is actually being taught. As I’ve said, there just aren’t any teachers, and that’s been a big problem for some time.”

Before the 1980s punch pads were never part of a boxer’s regular workout routine. Far from being an improvement, their ubiquitous presence is yet another indication of the dumbed down quality of today’s boxing instruction.
Whats especially poignant is the fact that Manny Steward is credited with pioneering the use of padwork as a method of boxing training.

Also if you havent already read this thread you will be intrigued.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/confessions-of-a-mittologist.3774317/

Whats especially poignant is the fact that Manny Steward is credited with pioneering the use of padwork as a method of boxing training.

Also if you havent already read this thread you will be intrigued.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/confessions-of-a-mittologist.3774317/

Nice thread. It's the same stuff here - in boxing mittwork is like 5% time of average ammy fighter regime, but in MT and mma pads are utilised much more. Like, in the last 1.5 years of combat sambo I have more padwork than in all my years of boxing.

Nice thread. It's the same stuff here - in boxing mittwork is like 5% time of average ammy fighter regime, but in MT and mma pads are utilised much more. Like, in the last 1.5 years of combat sambo I have more padwork than in all my years of boxing.
I'm not too knowledgable about MT and kickboxing but padwork might be necessary in those sports.

Someone mentioned they don't know anyone that shadow boxes for multiple rounds. Well you should be shadowboxing multiple rounds, several times a week.

If you are only shadowboxing for 20 seconds after wrapping your hands, then you are selling yourself seriously short.
That's not what he said. This is what he said: "I don't know anyone who does 5-10 rounds of shadow boxing only".

And I agree. Most people I know would shadowbox for 3-4 rounds before moving onto the heavybag.

That's not what he said. This is what he said: "I don't know anyone who does 5-10 rounds of shadow boxing only".

And I agree. Most people I know would shadowbox for 3-4 rounds before moving onto the heavybag.
Either way, treating shadow boxing like an after thought is a huge mistake. Serious time and energy should be put into this skill, it should not just be used as a warm up.

Either way, treating shadow boxing like an after thought is a huge mistake. Serious time and energy should be put into this skill, it should not just be used as a warm up.
It's not used as a warm up. It's always done after the warm up.

I'm not too knowledgable about MT and kickboxing but padwork might be necessary in those sports.

Yeah. In boxing, when we partner-drilled liver punches, my and my buds right elbows had that bluish color for weeks from catching full power body punches for several rounds every training session. I don't think I'd like same shit with low-kicks, for example <Lmaoo>.

It's not used as a warm up. It's always done after the warm up.

Comrade @MaxMMA just mean that shadow boxing is an important independent exercise, not just something you insert here and there to pass time in-between sparring, bagwork and partner-drilling.

Yeah. In boxing, when we partner-drilled liver punches, my and my buds right elbows had that bluish color for weeks from catching full power body punches for several rounds every training session. I don't think I'd like same shit with low-kicks, for example <Lmaoo>.
At least your liver's weren't black and blue jajajaja.

At least your liver's weren't black and blue jajajaja.

We have that secret liver training
G1ylJLSvJAQA75Ano3kYPgRNfGRWR_zNAyp5uUYEPQ2_Ggtubq1VlPNZbgYsPSx4iUUr4grQ3bE5gGF2shTbJHtzHqkvyFgR0cVTn6j6hrM

I see many of yall must not even train. Shadowboxing aint doing shit, mits is ok but not necessary, helpful to train for oncoming punches, even a double end and speed bag arent needed but a little somtin on the side, heavy bag is what ya need

Mitt work confirmed borgeois in boxing. Dexter to lead the revolution of the martial proletariats

Bagwork or a good pad holder. I don’t know anyone who does 5-10 rounds of shadow boxing only I’ll tell you that.

I think people say shadowboxing because it’s the first step in refining technique and adding new skills. Also underutilized by many people and it’s easy to do anywhere.

Doesn’t make it the ‘most important’ though, underrated, maybe.
If we are equal skill level and all you do is shadowbox while all I do is hit mitts. I will definitely be in better shape and condition to fight.

A pad holder can also double has a coach to add both defense and offense, footwork, power, form, and a realistic look. It’s the closest thing to sparring that isn’t drilling.
Many different types of pads, many different types of pad work.

That being said a lot of people don’t shadowbox enough.

But give me 6 weeks for a fight and give me only one option it’s definitely gonna be padwork over shadow boxing lol.

Silly question though because you should be doing everything

I agree with all of this, shadow boxing is overlooked, underutilized, and is extremely tiring if you do it with 100% intensity.

Last edited:
You need bag work to make sure your power is on point.

Back