Bas Rutten's kickboxing/MT credentials

TonyK

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anybody knows about his history in the sport? Titles? Notable opponents besides Frank Lobman? Judgind by interviews, he had quite a career in kickboxing before making it in MMA, so I got curious...

He is Dutch and came up in 90's fighting so we assume he's just a great kick boxer. 80's /90's Dutch could kickbox!

He was 16-2 with like 14 KOs before he switched over to Pancrase. He lost his biggest fight by TKO for a European title.

He was 16-2 with like 14 KOs before he switched over to Pancrase. He lost his biggest fight by TKO for a European title.

According to an interview by Bas, he was 14-2.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance_interviews/two_fisted_tman

He never really fought outside of Holland. He was 14-0 until he faced Lobman, who he agreed to fight despite not knowing how bad of a dude Lobman was (he ended up being 110-6, with 100 knockouts). His next fight he apparently got DQed for kneeing the guy in the balls after he bit Bas' ear according to this same article, and that was the end of it.

As far as who he trained in Muay Thai with, I can't really see. I know he was training in boxing and Kyokushin, which a lot of Dutch kickboxers were influenced by when they began getting into Muay Thai.

According to an interview by Bas, he was 14-2.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance_interviews/two_fisted_tman

He never really fought outside of Holland. He was 14-0 until he faced Lobman, who he agreed to fight despite not knowing how bad of a dude Lobman was (he ended up being 110-6, with 100 knockouts). His next fight he apparently got DQed for kneeing the guy in the balls after he bit Bas' ear according to this same article, and that was the end of it.

As far as who he trained in Muay Thai with, I can't really see. I know he was training in boxing and Kyokushin, which a lot of Dutch kickboxers were influenced by when they began getting into Muay Thai.

Damn dude I never knew Lobman vs Bas happened. I gotta dig that up somewhere.

He is Dutch and came up in 90's fighting so we assume he's just a great kick boxer. 80's /90's Dutch could kickbox!

lol yeah i agree, but dutch kickboxers today are mofos too.
zimmerman, spong, schilt, bonjasky, aerts, verhoeven, van roosmalen, groenhart, ristie, souwer, etc.

TBH - Bas's kickboxing credentials are a mystery - we assume he's a decent kickboxer because he was their in the late 80's, early 90's - but judging from this particular performance against Lobman although it's him - we can say he was an average kickboxer nothing special - in mma/pancrase a past legend.

Embedded this - was posted prior:

To be fair to Bas, this was a title fight so they're not just going to give it to anyone. Supposedly he was doing a lot more bouncing and partying than training at that time and didn't realize what he was getting himself into.

Bas looks very Kyokushin/kickboxing style,not much Muay Thai there except the music.I think Bas is a great ambassador for combat sports,he is a real character and very funny guy but he can fight as well,an entertainer.

Is it just me, or does he look like Glaube Feitosa on first glance in that clip? :icon_lol:

he trained lil bass dont forget

and he is training team alpha male so

TBH - Bas's kickboxing credentials are a mystery - we assume he's a decent kickboxer because he was their in the late 80's, early 90's - but judging from this particular performance against Lobman although it's him - we can say he was an average kickboxer nothing special - in mma/pancrase a past legend.

Embedded this - was posted prior:

Actually, I have to disagree, I think Bas looked pretty damn good. Sure, it was a quick knockout, but he was going toe to toe with a fucking monster in Frank Lobman and was scoring. Before that last 45 seconds when Bas was on shaking feet (and still swinging) I thought it was pretty competitive.

He wouldn't have been a world beater, but average is selling him way short.

So since rutten believes in open hand strikes does he throw punches like calzaghe or Tyson fury with gloves on?

So since rutten believes in open hand strikes does he throw punches like calzaghe or Tyson fury with gloves on?
No, but he has touted the merits of using opened handed strikes when not using gloves. Something he brought over from his time fighting in Pancrase.

I will pull a video out of my archives to show you, that pre-Pancrase Bas Rutten, was a hyper-aggressive, but sloppy kickboxer. He really hadn't learned how to relax or pace himself by this point, and it shows. This was an interesting fight, as he would have won it, but they had banned backfists, only a week prior to the event, and after his winning backfist, he was too gassed to continue.Bas's fight starts around the 29:45 mark.

Here is the event:

If you would like to read the column, in which we covered this fight, you can find that here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/40305042 (I've made this one free to view)

Back