Beginning my MMA training in a few weeks, what weight class is good for me?

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I’m currently 5’6 around 180 pounds and still dropping weight as we speak. I’m 19 with little to know experience other than wrestling but I really want to put my all into training and see how far I can go. I really feel like with my current frame I could make 145 with the right conditioning but my heart is telling me I’m gonna be right at home at 135 because of my size matching up well there. Is this something that I can tell now or is it something that I’d have to wait and see as my training begins? I don’t want to be undersized but at the same time I’ve seen how bad weightcutting can get and seeing guys like Edgar and Penn doing what they did is inspiring.

Just do training for couple of months then you will see is it boring to you or you will like it even more then start sparing and start thinking more seriously about it

You're putting the cart before the horse. Train first and develop your fitness and skills for a few years. A good coach will tell you when you're ready and where you should be.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Train first and develop your fitness and skills for a few years. A good coach will tell you when you're ready and where you should be.
I really don’t want to rush my training before I’m ready but damn I’m excited. Currently enrolled in college and play in the band but since that’s basically over until the fall semester I have all the time in the world to train my body and develop.

I really don’t want to rush my training before I’m ready but damn I’m excited. Currently enrolled in college and play in the band but since that’s basically over until the fall semester I have all the time in the world to train my body and develop.
Try not to injury yourself in beginning, work on defense more and run a lot, without good cardio you can not have good legs movement and you will gas out quickly when punching bag. I start training March 2016 and never stop now I believe in myself and can do whatever I want not feeling any fear

I’m currently 5’6 around 180 pounds and still dropping weight as we speak. I’m 19 with little to know experience other than wrestling but I really want to put my all into training and see how far I can go. I really feel like with my current frame I could make 145 with the right conditioning but my heart is telling me I’m gonna be right at home at 135 because of my size matching up well there. Is this something that I can tell now or is it something that I’d have to wait and see as my training begins? I don’t want to be undersized but at the same time I’ve seen how bad weightcutting can get and seeing guys like Edgar and Penn doing what they did is inspiring.
First off as has been said don’t rush things; just enjoy the training, eat right (veg/fruits etc not just protein) and make sure you do cardio and weights as well. It’s a long game but it’s worth it (whether you compete or not).

Beyond that I would bear in mind that since your base is in wrestling and you aren’t the tallest then getting really low in weight will most likely negatively effect your grappling prowess. You don’t want to be underpowered at 135 when you could be strong in the clinch at 145 (or 170 etc). It makes sense for tall, lanky strikers to get as light as possible to utilise their reach advantage but that doesn’t apply to you.

Back