Bellator announces signing of star Rugby player

Haskell is a beast. Played at a high level. Hes around 6'4, 250-260 and a fitness fanatic. Obviously hes never going to go particularly far at 34 with a lot of wear and tear on his body, but he should be fun for a few novelty fights against lower level competition.

AFter soccer whats the next biggest sport in UK, is it boxing? What about darts? I see alot of people talking about darts and its on tv and shit over there.

Rugby Union is probably 2nd in live attendance and participation. F1 might actually be no1 or close no2 in average pay. Boxing pays well, occasionally does huge attendances and PPV numbers,and the biggest domestic boxing stars are more well known than the majority of British footballers. Cricket has a lot of tradition but only really gets attention during the Ashes and World Cup. Darts has a sizeable cult following but I dont think any real case could be made for it being a top 5 sport in the UK.

Was he really good in his day? Serious question, what’s his potential?
His day was finished out just this year still a part of the premiership league ( top pro league in England)

He made something like 70+ appearances for the england rugby team I beleive.
You dont get to those sort of heights without being very very good.
A little past his best now but
Hes a rough player, very strong and aggressive. Sometimes hit very questionable tackles. He has been known to rag doll people with ease and even drove his unprotected head full speed into an opponent for a tackle/ knocking himself unconscious.
Lets just say his style of play could translate very well into mma.
Hes not so much the finesse as more of a brute imo.

That is a much bigger name than I was expecting. I think he'll be good for a few fights but won't be a champ due to age and injuries.

Despite appearances he is also a bit of a posh boy.

I remember he was doing UFC videos for BT Sport years ago, he was training with Manuwa like in 2013.

KSW would've been perfect for someone like him. KSW already had strongmen, rapper, bodybuilders, actors..

Meanwhile, Bellator still have issues with broadcasting a live UK event....

A friend of mine that’s a rugby coach said the guy is a beast on the international rugby scene. I’ll be watching for his fight.
He’s not elite level as a rugby player, but he’s not far below that, and 80 international caps isn’t to be scoffed at. Ultimately he’s not likely to trouble the top of the division, but I’d expect him to be tough and well conditioned-his position as a rugby player was one of the most physically demanding and if there’s one thing you can say about him it’s that he was never afraid to put himself in harms way.

That is a much bigger name than I was expecting. I think he'll be good for a few fights but won't be a champ due to age and injuries.

Despite appearances he is also a bit of a posh boy.
Is he actually a big name? Saw he has 300k followers on IG but you never know.

Is he actually a big name? Saw he has 300k followers on IG but you never know.
Hes a huge signing.
Being Great friends with prince harry helps a lot. He was personally invited to the royal wedding by harry and megan. It's not all about followers.
prince-harry-left-speaks-with-england-rugby-player-james-haskell-during-HP1WRF.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg Prince+Harry+Attends+England+Rugby+Team+Open+rBgiZbvCbCxl.jpg Prince+Harry+James+Haskell+Prince+Harry+Attends+KtYcIDQvxYSl.jpg chloe-madeley-james-haskell-z.jpg

Dude is well known maybe just not in north America.

Hes a huge signing.
Being Great friends with prince harry helps a lot. He was personally invited to the royal wedding by harry and megan. It's not all about followers.
View attachment 634245

View attachment 634237 View attachment 634239 View attachment 634243 View attachment 634241

Dude is well known maybe just not in north America.
Oh damn that’s pretty awesome. I had no idea he was this big. Hopefully he puts some asses in seats. Maybe even have the royal family come out to see him. Royal family at Bellator. Who would’ve thought lol.

not noteworthy for North American fans really, but this will get some pub over in England.

Some pretty sweet moves in here

Also, he was a really really good player. #11 most games ever for England (77)

LMAO

everyone said Gonzaga but we got some rugby player with hairy arms instead..not that I am complaining..an AWESOME signing and hopefully he fights for RIZIN as well

Rugby should actually provide a decent athletic base for combat sports, obviously he needs to have his striking and grappling skills to get to a high level, but Rugby training should give this guy excellent cardio and perhaps some mental toughness.

I think most people outside of the rugby world tend to underestimate the CARDIO needed for Rugby. 40 min halves with very minimal stoppages, similar to soccer, but in addition to all the running (the whole team runs the full field) there is the tackling, pushing, shoving, scrums etc. it is pretty grueling activity. No 40 second rest between plays like American football.

Hopefully this guy can fight, the HW division needs new talent badly.
Well, Bellator can actually help by giving Bobby Lashley and Justin Wren and Steve Mowry some fights. That alone would help the Bellator Heavyweight division stay active

A England card for Bellator should include him, MVP, Linton Vassell, Aaron Chalmers, and Fabian Edwards to get the English crowd really behind the show.

Little known fact: Haskell learnt that clothes line from watching Steven Seagull dvds.

Been sayin for years rugby players would be great fighters
Tough as hell and GREAT CARDIO
Yesss

Back