Best I’ve faced : Oscar de la Hoya

It’s not like we didn’t know, but that’s one hell of a Who’s who in boxing.

https://www.ringtv.com/596318-best-i-faced-oscar-de-la-hoya/

Looks like a pretty honest list from Oscar, a rarity in these exercises. Many throw bouquets to guys they beat and leave out those they lost to.

Slightly off topic - but from the same Ring article - check out the cover of next months magazine :

rsz_four_kings_cover_revised-1.jpg

Floyd Jr was the best

So, he thinks Manny would have murked Floyd if they'd met years earlier. I agree.

I'm a bit surprised he had Quartey as the hardest puncher.

Wow, he sounds like a typical Pacquiao nut hugger for sure. Not surprising, since he sticks turkey basters up his bung.

Looks like a pretty honest list from Oscar, a rarity in these exercises. Many throw bouquets to guys they beat and leave out those they lost to.

Yeah De La Hoya is one of the guy’s whose career’s I followed really closely and I’d guess that would be a pretty fair assessment from his experiences in the ring.

Quartey really peaked for the De La Hoya fight, he was in the P4P top 10 shortly before, removed due to inactivity after Whittaker tested positive for coke and their bout was cancelled. De La Hoya was ranked P4P no. 1 at that time and I thought Quartey beat him. I also think Quartey would have beaten other big names Like Trinidad and Whittaker if he fought them that night.

Whittaker had seen it all and done it all by the time he fought De La Hoya. He fought a very relaxed and creative style in that bout, in other bouts he looked more tense and kept a more disciplined guard.

Pacquiao was the only guy who thrashed him in his whole career.

Mayweather did beat him but it was a split decision (most scored it 8-4) so not close to as dominant as Pacquiao. He was 34 at the time of the fight and had been averaging one fight a year for last five years (he fought five times in 1997 alone against arguably higher calibre opposition).

@ironfist05 made a thread with dozens of these "Best I've faced" things.

“Nobody can ever take that away,” De La Hoya told The Ring. “I’ve won many world titles and I’ve fought the very best in the world, but the Olympic gold medal is by far my prize possession.
“(This is because of) the pressure I had going into (the gold medal fight, and I was) doing it for my mother – she had just passed a few months before.”
Oscar knows what's up

Good read, I enjoyed it.

This has already become a Pac/Mayweather bullshit thread only about 10 posts deep, so I'll see myself out.

Good read, I enjoyed it.

This has already become a Pac/Mayweather bullshit thread only about 10 posts deep, so I'll see myself out.

Yeah, and there were quite a few other comments to make, obviously.

I'm a bit surprised he had Quartey as the hardest puncher.

Well, I would have picked Quartey. A fairly big guy, and he hit him cleaner than Trinidad.

@ironfist05 made a thread with dozens of these "Best I've faced" things.

And it’s a great thread indeed. I just made this specific one because the overall level of these guts he faced is mind blowing. I tend to underrate Oscar as a fighter a little bit. I guess I shouldn’t.

And it’s a great thread indeed. I just made this specific one because the overall level of these guts he faced is mind blowing. I tend to underrate Oscar as a fighter a little bit. I guess I shouldn’t.
I didn't mean to imply I had some problem with the thread or anything.

I didn't mean to imply I had some problem with the thread or anything.

No offense taken. I just elaborated about why I started a dedicated thread this time around.

Damn, we sound as nice as two middle-aged women drinking tea.

Back