Best I’ve faced : Oscar de la Hoya

He said that the only time he was really hurt with a head shot was when Ike knocked him down.

Yeah, and Quartey was a big puncher, no doubt. I'd still have expected to see a few guys higher.

No offense taken. I just elaborated about why I started a dedicated thread this time around.

Damn, we sound as nice as two middle-aged women drinking tea.
hUNAo.jpg

too bad the link wont work

great fighter. fought everyone.

Hopkins and Pac whooped him, other than that he only lost close decisions.

IMO he beat trinidad, Mosley once and i have to watch Mayweather again because it was close.

Yeah, and Quartey was a big puncher, no doubt. I'd still have expected to see a few guys higher.
Oscar had a very underrated chin - he gets flack for his cross dressing and promoting ways (rightfully so) but as a boxer he was very good (just a notch below all time greats).

IMO Prime Oscar (the oscar that fought Quartey, tito, Shane, etc) would have beaten floyd and manny (I doubt they would have faced someone in their prime who was also a true welter).

Oscar may have not won all his fights - imo it was a question of stamina and bad game planning - but who has faced so many great fighters all in their primes as well (and was never blown out until he started to decline and lose his focus)?

That is one heck of a list of opponents. Pretty insane he fought both Pernell Whitaker and Floyd Mayweather. A whole generation apart. Pernell fought Floyd’s uncle. As the world turns lol.

I’m surprised Bernard Hopkins or Felix Sturm didn’t get a single mention in any of the categories

Extremely fun boxer to watch... Oscar had a huge following in Texas and the guys at the bars showing the fight acted like it was a family member fighting, then they would fight their cousin in the parking lot come closing time...

Looks like a pretty honest list from Oscar, a rarity in these exercises. Many throw bouquets to guys they beat and leave out those they lost to.

Slightly off topic - but from the same Ring article - check out the cover of next months magazine :

rsz_four_kings_cover_revised-1.jpg
Awesome....gonna try an find it lol

Good read.
I liked how he described differences in speed/style tween Floyd and Shane.
As well as differences in defense tween Pernell and Floyd.

Always thought Ike would’ve had more success.

Nice that he gave Pac nod as best overall matchup.

too bad the link wont work

great fighter. fought everyone.

Hopkins and Pac whooped him, other than that he only lost close decisions.

IMO he beat trinidad, Mosley once and i have to watch Mayweather again because it was close.

He is a great fighter but IMO he lost to Sturm.

So, he thinks Manny would have murked Floyd if they'd met years earlier. I agree.
Based on what? People always seem to forget that Floyd was older when he fought Manny too. He would have been faster and closer to his physical prime as well had they fought earlier.

Based on what? People always seem to forget that Floyd was older when he fought Manny too. He would have been faster and closer to his physical prime as well had they fought earlier.

Manny is the kind of a guy who would have only had a chance against Mayweather at his peak, though. He needed to have all his hunger, speed, ferocity, reflexes, in order to overcome the skill gap.

A rich, slowed down Pacquiao who had already been iced by Marquez, just wasn't going to present Mayweather with the kind of problems that an absolute peak Pacquiao could have.

None of that means that Floyd couldn't have overcome Pacquiao while he was at his own peak, though. It just would've been more interesting.

It's a shame that the business side of boxing interfered with that match-up.

Manny is the kind of a guy who would have only had a chance against Mayweather at his peak, though. He needed to have all his hunger, speed, ferocity, reflexes, in order to overcome the skill gap.

A rich, slowed down Pacquiao who had already been iced by Marquez, just wasn't going to present Mayweather with the kind of problems that an absolute peak Pacquiao could have.

None of that means that Floyd couldn't have overcome Pacquiao while he was at his own peak, though. It just would've been more interesting.

It's a shame that the business side of boxing interfered with that match-up.
Meh, everyone says that but Floyd would have had all the same advantages. IMO, Manny's best shot was against an older Floyd. Manny is still beating high level guys, he still had plenty left when he fought Floyd.He simply never had the tools to do it.

Good read, I enjoyed it.

This has already become a Pac/Mayweather bullshit thread only about 10 posts deep, so I'll see myself out.

Heaven forbid people talk about the greatest potential matchup of their lifetime.

Last edited:
Manny's dynamism and output were off the scale 5 yrs earlier. Oscar said it, he's been in with both.

Manny's dynamism and output were off the scale 5 yrs earlier. Oscar said it, he's been in with both.
Oscar is not Floyd and Floyd has never walked into the ring in the horrible condition Oscar was in when he fought Manny.

Floyd was able to age more gracefully because of his masterful safety first style.

Manny vs Floyd pre Margarito (that fight started Manny's decline IMO) would have been different. I'm not saying Manny wins, but his explosiveness, output and fearlessness would have made Floyd more uncomfortable and made the fight much more exciting.

That is one heck of a list of opponents. Pretty insane he fought both Pernell Whitaker and Floyd Mayweather. A whole generation apart. Pernell fought Floyd’s uncle. As the world turns lol.

I’m surprised Bernard Hopkins or Felix Sturm didn’t get a single mention in any of the categories

He took a dive against Hopkins, that's why that fight wont get mentioned by him, and Sturm was also involved in some very dodgy decisions at the time also

Back