Best soccer player at his peak?

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
Hi, guys!
I want to ask simple question: who was best ever player at their best? Who impacted the game most actually and who likely would impact the most in most teams and scenarios ever?
I assume 1 season peak, but its up to you, maybe 2 seasons, maybe 1 game (if you thing it wasnt fluke). I just thing 1 season is optimal for sample size purposes...
Give, please, the answer and maybe your top-5 in order.
Obvious candidates: Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Fenomeno...
Maybe some other names: Ronaldinho, Zico, Platini, Zidane, Di Stefano, Puskas, Muller, Cristiano,

It’s difficult and irrelevant to compare different eras. Not just the rules, styles and facilities but also the equipment and ball they used and pitch they played on was different.
I think Messi is the best ever to play but also Pele and Cruyff had the biggest impact.

1: Messi
2: Maradona
3: Robben (world cup)

maradonna not just did he won world cup but won with napoli and if you italian football north was winning everything those day/these days they do too and maradonna came and won twice. in american sports that would be like american hockey teams are winning stanly cup every year wayne gretcky comes and single handly wins it for canadian team

¿At his peak? Definitely Messi. And must say his peak was about 10 years long.

Ronaldo was a beast aswell. His peak might be at Barcelona.

1. Maradona
2. Ronaldinho
3. Messi
4. Pele
5. C. Ronaldo
My list would be close to this, though i'd swap two of the GOAT's around and throw the other GOAT out of the list to bring in the Fat GOAT from the same country, who the other remaining GOAT from that country is inspired by.

*Special Mention to Royus Keanus and Ericus Cantonaus.

Maradona is a fcking wizard with the ball

At the club level, Messi

But I wish he wasn't such a choker

Messi

Because of the offside rule

1. Maradona
2. Ronaldinho
3. Messi
4. Pele
5. C. Ronaldo
Hard to argue with this list. Good choices mate. There are a load I could throw out playing devils advocate, legends of the past etc but I would have posted that list.

My list would be close to this, though i'd swap two of the GOAT's around and throw the other GOAT out of the list to bring in the Fat GOAT from the same country, who the other remaining GOAT from that country is inspired by.

*Special Mention to Royus Keanus and Ericus Cantonaus.
Like the special mention. Also Georgus Bestus and my favourite growing up Captain Marvellous Bryanus Robsonus.

All the goalkeepers and defenders that finished top 3 in the Ballon d'Or...

Non-Europeans playing in Europe were eligible from 1995 onwards.
The award became completely global from 2007 onwards.

1. VVD (CB) - 6-3½, 192lb
  2. Neuer (GK) - 6-3½, 203lb
  3. Buffon (GK) - 6-3½, 201lb
  4. Cannavaro (CB) - 5-8½, 163lb
  5. Roberto Carlos (LB) - 5-6, 165lb
  6. Kahn (GK) - 6-2, 198lb
  7. Maldini (LB) - 6-1, 183lb
  8. Sammer (SW) - 5-10½, 165lb
  9. Matthaus (SW) - 5-8½, 159lb
  10. Baresi (CB) - 5-9, 154lb
  11. Breitner (LB) - 5-9, 161lb
  12. Krol (LB) - 6-0, 174lb
  13. Beckenbauer (CB) - 5-11, 174lb
  14. Facchetti (LB) - 6-2, 187lb
  15. Viktor (GK) - 5'11, 176lb
  16. Zoff (GK) - 5-11½, 172lb
  17. Moore (CB) - 6-0, 159lb
  18. Schnellinger (CB) - 5-10½, 172lb
  19. Yashin (GK) - 6-2, 181lb
  20. Wright (CB) - 5-8, 160lb

Last edited:
  1. Messi
  2. Ronaldinho
  3. CR7
  4. Pele
  5. Maradona

I'm not a big believer in holding classical figures to modern standards, but it is hard to argue against the biggest stars dominating the Champion's League like the top three have.

Back