Beterbiev vs Bivol June 1st in Saudi ESPN+**** Postponed ***

Who wins ?

• Total voters
Biev is a monster. Bivol is very clinical and never reckless.

it's a super fight but I'd be lying if it was both in their prime. Biev should have been placed here 5 years ago. It's a shame when you're not marketable in boxing, you have to go very far out of your weigh to get the fame but more importantly, find worthy opponents who are equally a name.

I'd wager Biev can still win this fight. I hope he does.
Beterbiev is far more cerebral than he gets credit for. His defense in this fight was also much better than it usually is. Power jab was on point, counterpunching was sharp, footwork was there, he clearly worked on his craft since his last fight. Looking at him in there you would never know that he was a 39 year old pressure fighter. More often than not that style ages badly. It's harder on your body, taking additional hits, and tends to reduce longevity.

Beterbiev is far more cerebral than he gets credit for. His defense in this fight was also much better than it usually is. Power jab was on point, counterpunching was sharp, footwork was there, he clearly worked on his craft since his last fight. Looking at him in there you would never know that he was a 39 year old pressure fighter. More often than not that style ages badly. It's harder on your body, taking additional hits, and tends to reduce longevity.

I was going to post something similar. Completely agree here. Beterbiev has a very educated jab. It is sharp and had an upward trajectory that hit Smith like a power punch. His counterpunching on his opponents entries is a thing of beauty. Plus his defense was very, very tight. He is a pressure fighter; but instead of taking 3 to give 1, he takes 1 to give 3. His Olympic pedigree really shows.

It also doesn't hurt to have an iron chin; Smith clipped him with a few hooks that would have at least rocked most other top fighters.

If Bivol cannot win the jab battle and is not able to exit and enter without taking more damage than he gives out, he will get broken down like all the rest.

I was going to post something similar. Completely agree here. Beterbiev has a very educated jab. It is sharp and had an upward trajectory that hit Smith like a power punch. His counterpunching on his opponents entries is a thing of beauty. Plus his defense was very, very tight. He is a pressure fighter; but instead of taking 3 to give 1, he takes 1 to give 3. His Olympic pedigree really shows.

It also doesn't hurt to have an iron chin; Smith clipped him with a few hooks that would have at least rocked most other top fighters.

If Bivol cannot win the jab battle and is not able to exit and enter without taking more damage than he gives out, he will get broken down like all the rest.
His amateur pedigree definitely showed like you said. Artur was one of the most celebrated amateurs in recent memory. He's a former world champion and 2× Olympian in the ams. I loved that subtle pull counter (rock back) right hand over-the-top that was the beginning of the end for Smith. It was a perfectly timed shot and he baited Smith to throw that lazy jab from mid range. Artur deliberately moved to his right to draw it out and then countered beautifully.

Biev is a monster. Bivol is very clinical and never reckless.

it's a super fight but I'd be lying if it was both in their prime. Biev should have been placed here 5 years ago. It's a shame when you're not marketable in boxing, you have to go very far out of your weigh to get the fame but more importantly, find worthy opponents who are equally a name.

I'd wager Biev can still win this fight. I hope he does.

Bivol’s promoters (Matchroom ?) waited Beterbiev out a bit.

Hope it doesn’t work out for them.

Bivol’s promoters (Matchroom ?) waited Beterbiev out a bit.

Hope it doesn’t work out for them.
We know this now for a fact. The WBC outed them. Initially, and on several occasions later, they were asked if Bivol had filed for his exemption to get the undisputed showdown on with Artur. Disappointingly the answer was no, they said they hadn't received it. I still like Bivol, really think he's an excellent boxer, but that hit his credibility a bit. Waiting out your rival is clever and all but it's not a good look. Notice that they wanted to fight Artur not only after aging him but also after he looked human against Yarde. They must've been thinking he showed slippage only for him to look great against Callum Smith after they'd already signed to fight him. Funny shit.

Joe Smith Jr hits like a motherfucker and he wobbled Bivol once badly and a few more times minorly. Beterbiev streamrolled Joe, I've never seen Joe so badly affected by punches.

I think this is Beterbiev's fight to lose as long as he can stay within range.

Bivol might struggle with the punching power of Beterbiev.

Beterbiev streamrolled Joe, I've never seen Joe so badly affected by punches.
Artur hurt him with ease when none of Joe's other opponents could (other than getting his jaw broken early in his career). Did you hear what Joe said to his trainer after the fight? He goes, "I've never felt like that."

Lyndon Arthur appeared to have hurt Bivol. He landed a body shot that backed Bivol off. Whether he was just playing possum or not, who knows? He was asked about it afterwards and he said that it was "a joke." Hmm.

Joe Smith also hurt Bivol previously with an overhand right to the side of the head. He was on shaky legs walking back to his corner. Artur's best weapon is the same exact shot, an overhand right to the side/top of the head.

Last edited:
Boxers typically struggle against bigger boxer puncher types. This isn't a Floyd-Maidana situation where Maidana was a blown up LW with limited boxing abilities. This is a massive puncher with very good boxing abilities and who happens to be physically larger than Bivol.

Very dangerous fight. If Bivol wins, he'll be remembered as a legend.

Boxers typically struggle against bigger boxer puncher types. This isn't a Floyd-Maidana situation where Maidana was a blown up LW with limited boxing abilities. This is a massive puncher with very good boxing abilities and who happens to be physically larger than Bivol.

Very dangerous fight. If Bivol wins, he'll be remembered as a legend.
The fight will come down to Bivol's ability to absorb Artur's heavy shots over 12 rounds. If he doesn't have special durability, genuinely elite ATG level, he's getting stopped.

Last edited:
Back