Law Biden renews eviction ban despite prior SCOTUS ruling; UPDATE: SCOTUS strikes down ban 6-3

Not even 7 months in and this dumpster fire administration has removed private property rights, trashed the currency with inflation higher than wage growth, ditched our energy independence, covid surge and a border crisis of infected migrants streaming across while his crack addled son launders money through his pay for play "art" scheme and losing more laptops to Russian drug dealers and hookers. But he did make juneteenth a holiday, so that obviously makes up for doing a shit job on everything.

Where is all the "threat to our democracy" headlines at?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/09/judge-district-court-eviction-moratorium-biden-502828

Here is a left wing outlet.

Biden's previous law was found to be unconstitutional. So he passed an identical one as a delay tactic, knowing it was unconstitutional.

Complete disregard for the separation of powers.
Completely ridiculous to call that a definitive position and overtly political for Kavanaugh to throw out an opinion with no actual new ruling. Who gives a shit about what he thinks, they made no ruling on this specific time period or for moratoriums in general. The "decision" you are referring to, out of political convenience I might add, has no written justifications associated with it. You can't just pretend some emergency vote with no reasoning laid out constitutes settled law, that's beyond ridiculous.

From the article you posted ...

However, the judge seemed skeptical of Shumate’s arguments that an opinion from Justice Brett Kavanaugh coupled with the votes of other justices in an emergency ruling the Supreme Court issued in June amounted to definitive guidance from the high court about how to handle the Biden administration’s new iteration of the ban.

Last edited:
Initial appeal kept the ban in place

Eviction Ban Survives Landlords’ Challenge in Win for Biden
Bloomberg
A temporary U.S. ban on evictions in parts of the country hit hardest by the pandemic can continue, a federal judge in Washington ruled, in a victory for the Biden administration’s efforts against the spread of the coronavirus.

In a ruling on Friday, U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich rejected a plea by landlord groups to block a moratorium established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, even as she voiced concerns over the legality of the policy. The decision means the ban, set to last until Oct. 3, can stay in place for now, though it’s likely to face further challenges.

Friedrich wrote that she was forced to keep the moratorium in place because of a ruling by the U.S. appeals court in Washington that allowed a previous nationwide version of the policy to stand.

“The court’s hands are tied,” she wrote.

Obviously will get to the circuit and SCOTUS but here's the initial one.

Landlord/Tennant arrangements are a remnant of feudalism; who wants to tell me that in 2021, the country that put a man on the moon just so we could tell the Russians to suck it can't come up with a better system than this.

So it came back through SCOTUS and the ban is dropped now unless Congress were to act. 6-3 ruling this time

Supreme Court throws out Biden administration eviction moratorium
CNN
The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked the Biden administration's Covid-related eviction moratorium.

"Congress was on notice that a further extension would almost surely require new legislation, yet it failed to act in the several weeks leading up to the moratorium's expiration," the court wrote in an unsigned, eight-page opinion.

"If a federally imposed eviction moratorium is to continue, Congress must specifically authorize it," the court said.

I think you're trolling but in case you're not. In this particular issue he's liability to the American people. He's being held hostage by the extreme left. What he's done is effectively screwed over everyone who rents in this country. You now have higher rents, higher security deposits, more stringent background checks. Not to mention local governments getting sued all over the place.

Well damn. It's great to see someone post here that knows exactly how it goes when you screw with the rental market like Biden did. Everything is going to get a whole lot more expensive with this type of government action and the massive spending they intend to pull off. The one thing that won't go up as much are paychecks. This will be one of the biggest "taxes" on the American people they have ever known... and many of the dupes will take it smiling, because minimum wage is $15.

So it came back through SCOTUS and the ban is dropped now unless Congress were to act. 6-3 ruling this time

Supreme Court throws out Biden administration eviction moratorium
CNN
And now the progressives are flipping out about the Supreme Court. Biden himself said that he had his own "constitutional scholars" look at his moratorium and they said that it was unlikely to hold up in court. And then he did it anyway.

So now the progressives are somehow pissed at the Supreme Court for actually doing what Biden's own constitutional scholars said was the right thing constitutionally. Clown. World.

And now the progressives are flipping out about the Supreme Court. Biden himself said that he had his own "constitutional scholars" look at his moratorium and they said that it was unlikely to hold up in court. And then he did it anyway.

So now the progressives are somehow pissed at the Supreme Court for actually doing what Biden's own constitutional scholars said was the right thing constitutionally. Clown. World.

This is my take too for the most part. I think there’s danger in the executive testing boundaries and powers they likely don’t have. It usually is to pass the blame over to a different group, in this case the courts. I think he should’ve passed on the renewal when it was clear the house didn’t have enough votes.

In what universe could 3 justices dissent?

It was the normal 6-3 split. Last one was 5-4 with Kavanaugh and Roberts siding with the liberal justices. It was clear Kavanaugh was going to flip since his opinion stated to renew, Congress would be needed. I don’t know yet why Roberts also flipped but would assume it’s the same reason. Breyer took the stance that with the pandemic still ongoing, the CDC should be able to continue.

lol at people who trash Biden. This dude is a beast. Total respect for him looking out for his people
You're funny. Biden is a demented old liberal who's looking out for the lazy parasites who keep the democrats in office. He doesn't give a shit about Americans who actually contribute to society.

If I was big money I would be as furious as the mayor. I want to be able to go in and buy up real estate from the small people that own 1-4 properties and can't stay afloat because of this unconstitutional eviction moratorium. Individual owners make up 40% of the market. I want to drink their milkshake and this doesn't help. Thanks, Kavanaugh. The evil is right in front of your face and it's preaching righteous indignation.

Last edited:
the govt should just print more money and pay renters' rent

or let ppl work

It was the normal 6-3 split. Last one was 5-4 with Kavanaugh and Roberts siding with the liberal justices. It was clear Kavanaugh was going to flip since his opinion stated to renew, Congress would be needed. I don’t know yet why Roberts also flipped but would assume it’s the same reason. Breyer took the stance that with the pandemic still ongoing, the CDC should be able to continue.

I meant it more that the legal precedence from the 5-4 opinion was clear. After that, who could reasonable dissent?

This is one of those nutty culture war things where it’s more important for the left to take the left side than it is for that side to make any sense. We’re in an economy where companies are desperate for workers. Add to that the fact the moratorium only hurts small landlords and their ultimate foreclosure will only accrue to the portfolios of giant corporate land holders and you have a position (form Biden and the dems) that’s complete nonsense and isn’t even consistent with their own claimed priorities.

Well damn. It's great to see someone post here that knows exactly how it goes when you screw with the rental market like Biden did. Everything is going to get a whole lot more expensive with this type of government action and the massive spending they intend to pull off. The one thing that won't go up as much are paychecks. This will be one of the biggest "taxes" on the American people they have ever known... and many of the dupes will take it smiling, because minimum wage is $15.
It's pretty disgusting how the president goes on stage and tries to pull heart strings and pretend to be all about the people while passing these policies that continue to erode the middle class.

You're funny. Biden is a demented old liberal who's looking out for the lazy parasites who keep the democrats in office. He doesn't give a shit about Americans who actually contribute to society.

Conservatives don't contribute to society

Back