Elections Big D Bernie, shows he is for workers once again. Plan to double union membership

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bernie Sanders announces plan to double union membership if elected

Bernie Sanders has released plans to double union membership in the US during his first term in office as he campaigns to secure the Democratic presidential candidacy.

Sanders’ plan is an expansion of the Workplace Democracy Act, previously championed by the Vermont senator, and would also restore workers’ rights to collectively bargain for better wages, benefits and working conditions.

American unions have been decimated. No wonder inequality is booming | Steven Greenhouse
Between 1983 and 2015, union membership declinedby 2.9 million workers, as the number of wage and salary workers grew by nearly 50 million. Nearly one-third of workers in the US were represented by a union 50 years ago, but that representation has declined since the 1960’s to about 11% today. Economists have directly attributed about one-thirdof increases in wealth inequality in the 1980s and 90s to a decline in labor unions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...9/aug/21/bernie-sanders-union-membership-plan

This is the pro-worker message that will win the next election.

Many on the right will try and shit on unions, but we simply need to compare the approval ratings for unions to corporations to see if that bull shit about unions being corrupt, will win a vote anywhere.

Unions are corrupt? So are corporations, the Republican party, the Democratic party, the department of Justice, and everything else.

Wake me up when you have another real plan to raise wages for American workers without massive government intervention that will have its own problems.

Here is your choice if you are anti-union. Accept what we offer and fucking like it, or kick rocks.

I laugh at all the shitty capitalists that hate unions, because they don't understand leverage.

I guarantee if your dude Donny, was a worker, he would understand the art of the deal baby.

Discuss.......

Oh sweet. Its great when politicians promise things because they always follow through with everything they say.

Stop trying to put the image of old man dick in my mind ya maniac

UBqoFgP.gif

That's fine, just so long as I'm not forced to join one. How that shit is legal is beyond me, government sanctioned extortion.

That's fine, just so long as I'm not forced to join one. How that shit is legal is beyond me, government sanctioned extortion.

You don't have a right to golf on my golf course without paying dues.

Unions are collective bargaining of private citizens.

When we vote to become a private golf course, you no longer have a right to golf there without paying dues.

That isn't the union single handedly saying that. The employer signs a contract saying you cant work there without being a union member. What you are arguing is that an employer can't set it's condition of employment.

Unions are corrupt? So are corporations, the Republican party, the Democratic party, the department of Justice, and everything else.
Because corruption+corruption=awesome? Most of the people who don't like unions don't feel like they need to pay a manager to get the biggest slackers and fuckups the same deal as the most valuable employees.

Because corruption+corruption=awesome? Most of the people who don't like unions don't feel like they need to pay a manager to get the biggest slackers and fuckups the same deal as the most valuable employees.

Shitty capitalists that don't understand leverage.

The same people who rightly complain when corporations outsource American jobs and hire illegals, also complain about empowering unions which massively help prevent those problems.

Put up or shut up

You don't have a right to golf on my golf course without paying dues.

Unions are collective bargaining of private citizens.

When we vote to become a private golf course, you no longer have a right to golf there without paying dues.

Bad analogy as you are comparing a private business to an employer. I can go a lifetime without ever setting foot on your golf course, I cant go a lifetime without working.

Bad analogy as you are comparing a private business to an employer. I can go a lifetime without ever setting foot on your golf course, I cant go a lifetime without working.

You can't go a lifetime without medical treatment either.

You down to make that a right?

Also, what you need to understand is that the union isn't the one with the legal authority to do this. It is the employer that is setting this condition of employment.

The fact that the union negotiated this into a contract, doesn't change that what you are arguing for is legislating that an employer can't set terms of employment.

The fact that the union negotiated this into a contract, doesn't change that what you are arguing for is legislating that an employer can't set terms of employment.

Except the employer isn't given a choice. In (I believe) 22 states if employees choose to unionize the employer has 0 options to hire non-union employees as it's baked into the contract that they cannot. All other states are (rightfully, imo) right to work states where you are under no obligation to join the union if you so choose.

What I'm arguing for is for individual employees to be given the choice if they want to join a union, not be forced into it just to work somewhere.

Except the employer isn't given a choice. In (I believe) 22 states if employees choose to unionize the employer has 0 options to hire non-union employees as it's baked into the contract that they cannot. All other states are (rightfully, imo) right to work states where you are under no obligation to join the union if you so choose.

What I'm arguing for is for individual employees to be given the choice if they want to join a union, not be forced into it just to work somewhere.

No it is not "baked into a contract"

It is something each individual union negotiated for as a priority, because unions don't work without this. This is what creates the leverage of having an entire workforce that will go on strike if their demands are not met.

What good does a union do, if half the workers still show up when a contract expires? That is the leverage.

What right to work laws say, is that a union literally can't negotiate this into a contract.

No one forces a employer to sign a contract. They have to bargain in good faith, but there is no single provision in a contract protected by law, other then that unions can't demand this in a right to work state.

It is corporate protectionism, and anti-worker at it's core.

Bernie wont do nothing, he can’t even stand up to the party the screwed him in 2016

Back