Bigger glutes and hamstrings=more explosive power in punching and kicking

AlanGregson

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is this thread going to include a slight hint of homosexuality... maybe, but the obvious must be said.

If you look at any of the most explosive athletes, either in mma, boxing or sprinting, most of theme will have large glutes and hamstrings. Now do they have a genetic propentency to build more muscle in those areas... Sure, BUT can you build strength and muscle in those areas with spesific exercises that will 100%guaranteed improve you as a fighter/athlete, yep.

Remember fellas, there's nothing gay about doing pilates.

And no squats dont necessarily do as good of a job, mainly because a lot of people dont get proper muscle activation and they develop quad dominance overtime which is gonna shut down glute function overtime.

There are some heavy handed guys that can get away with shitty glute power but, the fastest most explosive guys are all Black... I mean have strong glutes and hams.
<MikeP1>

IMG_20200528_141532.jpg IMG_20200528_141513.jpg IMG_20200528_141500.jpg

Didn't everyone know this already?

Tommy kono was shouting about this in the 1960s.

Didn't everyone know this already?

Tommy kono was shouting about this in the 1960s.
In combat sports, the acceptance of sports science is very low, things that have been proven for decades in the long past are now coming out as viable. You have coaches in MT gyms in the west thinking people who do strength training of some kind are lazy and should be using that time to do 10km runs daily. The reasons: ThE ThAiS dO iT!!"

Meanwhile, my teammates are all suffering from underdeveloped glutes and hams, have injuries related to it, and it contributes to their knee issues as well.

I thought the "glutes are king" became mainstream knowledge the same time social media fitness blew up and all the girls headed to the gym to do barbell hip thrusts ?:D

Seriously though I'd be surprised if anyone doing combat orientated strength work didn't know.
But it's not that important because combat sports are so incredibly demanding skill wise.

I thought the "glutes are king" became mainstream knowledge the same time social media fitness blew up and all the girls headed to the gym to do barbell hip thrusts ?:D

Seriously though I'd be surprised if anyone doing combat orientated strength work didn't know.
But it's not that important because combat sports are so incredibly demanding skill wise.
Fitness has a different market. I for one welcome all the squat bootay shots, but combat sports are the niche of the already niche fitness community.

91189939_258082168534208_4322533305066067346_n.jpg

98306555_2388018328157439_2546253253362835538_n.jpg

72768151_542707083224919_8263641577680327115_n.jpg

I think combat sports will get past what American Football went through in the 30s eventually. They used to think strength work would interfere with a player's skillwork and opted out of it. Present day I can't really see anyone being successful without strong use of S&C, even the smallest players there are bigger than most combat athletes and all jump higher, run faster, and are highly explosive.

More grappling focused sports will find more carryover from S&C compared to striking.

it's also a detriment. if the explosive dude comes in hard, and his opponent hits him while he's exploding, he's going to knock himself out.

Andy Galpin is one of the top strength and conditioning coaches for MMA IMO.

Though he’s not a complete MMA coach and I think he underestimates the importance of cardio.

He advocates training the “fast twitch” of muscles as an important part of MMA training.

Apparently according to the latest research a lot more can be done to convert slow twitch fibres to fast twitch fibres than was previously thought.

The reasons: ThE ThAiS dO iT!!".

This is fun AF. Ppl who try to imitate Thais in every dimensions will never beat them in their own game. Our only chance to be better in their national sport lays in combining our own developments with Thai’s. BTW, Thais themselves are fine adopters of different styles, they are ready to learn from everyone be it a useful drills, exercises or techniques.

A lot of that stuff was in my hip surgery PT.

There's a whole hour and a half that includes squats, lunges and balance drills...shit I wish I had time to do all that plus the KB and Judo shadow UchiKomi drills.

That shit works guys highly recommended!

Haha some of the gym freak chicks out here in So Cal look like the equivalent of a dude walking around with his biceps flexed 24/7, their asses are so tight. It's appreciated...but kinda weird.

This is fun AF. Ppl who try to imitate Thais in every dimensions will never beat them in their own game. Our only chance to be better in their national sport lays in combining our own developments with Thai’s.
It gets funnier when coaches try to force your weight to catastrophic results to match their build. Oh you're 10% bodyfat at 180lbs at 6'0? Too heavy, gotta get to 142lbs, muscle is useless gotta loose that

The best was when my teammate went to see a S&C coach who had his own gym and facility specifically for brewing athletes. The reply was "WTF does he know? Has he successfully trained any MT Champions? No? Then stick with the basics"

I showed the correlation of my max squat improving significantly that gave rise to my faster sprint times, higher vertical jump, and my overall being more explosive on takedowns, scrambles, etc:
"Just coincidence, there are much more functional ways to improving your game. Drop the weights"
iu

Last edited:
I should have great power then since I got a big Brazilian ass and Marcelo Garcia legs but a skinny waist and broad shoulders

I believe strength training has it's place and how much strength training is base on the individual. For me, I saw very little carryover from heavy barbell training. But I did notice a difference when I started doing kettlebell swing. However, I'm not sure it was because I got stronger from the swings or that the kettlebell swing taught me how to utilize more of my hips when punching.

Is this thread going to include a slight hint of homosexuality... maybe, but the obvious must be said.

If you look at any of the most explosive athletes, either in mma, boxing or sprinting, most of theme will have large glutes and hamstrings. Now do they have a genetic propentency to build more muscle in those areas... Sure, BUT can you build strength and muscle in those areas with spesific exercises that will 100%guaranteed improve you as a fighter/athlete, yep.

Remember fellas, there's nothing gay about doing pilates.

And no squats dont necessarily do as good of a job, mainly because a lot of people dont get proper muscle activation and they develop quad dominance overtime which is gonna shut down glute function overtime.

There are some heavy handed guys that can get away with shitty glute power but, the fastest most explosive guys are all Black... I mean have strong glutes and hams.
<MikeP1>

View attachment 772226 View attachment 772227 View attachment 772228

Your theory makes some sense....
Apart from the fact that one of hardest punching HW boxers of all time, who KO'd, concussed and broke ribs of many of his opponents had fairly skinny legs.

There a different ways to generate power and IMO, leg strength is one route but not necessary for huge power.

I believe strength training has it's place and how much strength training is base on the individual. For me, I saw very little carryover from heavy barbell training. But I did notice a difference when I started doing kettlebell swing. However, I'm not sure it was because I got stronger from the swings or that the kettlebell swing taught me how to utilize more of my hips when punching.
People get binary with this debate. Strength training helps for sure, but you still need to do it in a way that benefits the motions you're trying to mimic.

Your theory makes some sense....
Apart from the fact that one of hardest punching HW boxers of all time, who KO'd, concussed and broke ribs of many of his opponents had fairly skinny legs.

There a different ways to generate power and IMO, leg strength is one route but not necessary for huge power.

images

UglyExcellentCatfish-size_restricted.gif

strong legs = strong kick.

images

UglyExcellentCatfish-size_restricted.gif

strong legs = strong kick.

Well, I was referring to punches.
Massive punch power is clearly uncorrelated with leg strength, as Dempsey and some of the hardest punchers ever like twig-legged Wilder and many others have shown.

For kicks maybe different.
The example you showed is more due to 48 year old Severns dodgy knees, but yes kick power is usually much more correlated with leg strength whereas punch power seems to have little correlation to legs and glutes.

Back