Biscuitsbrah boxing sparring

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Got some boxing sparring in yesterday. We had 3 people and were rotating but I only have footage of me going with one guy because he was recording his rounds. Anyways I’m always open to learn and receive tips so please help!
Btw I’m in the white shirt lol

I notice I tend to lean back or drop my hands at the wrong time a lot. Not sure how to fix besides keeping it in my mind.

This round I was trying to engage more and hold my ground. Obviously I’m not very comfortable in the pocket or staying in exchange range but I’m working on it and this is a very good training partner to help me get there. (Him being a swarmer)

First round is on the same YouTube channel. Left it out because we were just warming up and going really light.
I also know that concrete and no headgear are big no-no’s but we really aren’t trying to drop each other and I guess a random punch could do it but man that would be really really rare

Last edited:
Nice work, looks good.
all I would say is
Relax, then you get more Combos in, slip more, and move more lightly.
Move.
You seem to be planting your feet like a heavy weight.
Move your head more.

Nice work, looks good.
all I would say is
Relax, then you get more Combos in, slip more, and move more lightly.
Move.
You seem to be planting your feet like a heavy weight.
Move your head more.
Yeah I feel and look very tense. I really don’t like getting hit lol. Will definitely try to relax a little and in turn move better

I thought it looked better in the third round when you seemed to be going harder. The contact level seemed a bit inconsistent to me.

I would say you seemed to have success with your jab, looked like you might have been better off jabbing more and staying on the outside.

I thought it looked better in the third round when you seemed to be going harder. The contact level seemed a bit inconsistent to me.

I would say you seemed to have success with your jab, looked like you might have been better off jabbing more and staying on the outside.
Yeah honestly I think we are just both too polite. I just don’t always know how hard he’s down to get hit because his style is to get hit a lot.

Yeah I could stick and move but I always do that to him honestly and I always do it in general. I’m trying to work my mid to close range boxing more

Agree with SwampThing to move a bit more and be careful you are not crossing your legs, you were off balance a few times. other than that keep it going bro

Reported for not social distancin' brah

You're too tight, relax and loosen up. Focus on movement, I know you're a MMA fighter and you tend to brace and plant (I did too when I was at the last gym), but for boxing do be more mobile

Yeah honestly I think we are just both too polite. I just don’t always know how hard he’s down to get hit because his style is to get hit a lot.

Just saying I wasn't necessarily calling for you to go harder, I thought you looked better when you were going harder which is normal.

I also wasn't really sure if you were going easy on him or if he was going easy on you at certain points or if it was mutually understood that neither were going all out.

His style does look a bit strange in that his punches look good when he throws them but he's making almost no attempt to parry or slip the jab. I'm used to training with amateur boxer's who are all about the jab.

Just saying I wasn't necessarily calling for you to go harder, I thought you looked better when you were going harder which is normal.

I also wasn't really sure if you were going easy on him or if he was going easy on you at certain points or if it was mutually understood that neither were going all out.

His style does look a bit strange in that his punches look good when he throws them but he's making almost no attempt to parry or slip the jab. I'm used to training with amateur boxer's who are all about the jab.
Yeah idk I think we both just warm up and mutually hold back a little at first. If anything I might be a little nicer about dropping right hands through the guard.

Yeah he’s an mma fighter with a chin like steel so his boxing isn’t the sharpest but he’s tough and can swarm. He’s also pretty slow and doesn’t react to punches honestly. He’s 33 and not really a training partner anymore more just a friend. Kind of stopped fighting already. When I was training with him he was used as a punching bag a lot by two other guys and my old coach who are kinda dicks. The way he spars and fights I wouldn’t feel good about hurting him and he probably wouldn’t want to spar again if I did.

Last edited:
Nice session! Loved how you sneak a lot of uppercuts

About getting comfortable in the pocket I would say that doing a lot drills would definitely work better than trying to do it in sparring. I don't know if you're not already doing that, but if you are just keep up

position yourself behind his earlobe. Small steps and turns

Reported for not social distancin' brah

You're too tight, relax and loosen up. Focus on movement, I know you're a MMA fighter and you tend to brace and plant (I did too when I was at the last gym), but for boxing do be more mobile
Movement in close?

Nice session! Loved how you sneak a lot of uppercuts

About getting comfortable in the pocket I would say that doing a lot drills would definitely work better than trying to do it in sparring. I don't know if you're not already doing that, but if you are just keep up

position yourself behind his earlobe. Small steps and turns
Yeah everyone is telling me to move more so I think I need to make subtle steps when head to head.

Also I do go to a boxing gym 3x a week and we drill but we don’t do contact drills because the coach knows we do mma sparring twice a week already. So I’m trying lol

Movement in close?
Yeah, you're very static and hittable. Hit, get around, repeat.

Your partner is pretty green and being polite. Too often you sway out of the way once, back step once and he doesn't do anything. Realistically, he's going to pursue and you being relaxed there isn't going to be fun.

You'd throw your combinations sometimes, then relax. Then he walks in, didn't throw anything yet and you shelled up. Should've instead get an angle, pivot, or parry. Hands up to shell should be the last layer of defense, not your first

everyone is telling me to move more so I think I need to make subtle steps when head to head.

Yeah, and not just movement of the feet, but of the hips too (Sinister's tile exercise)

Also I do go to a boxing gym 3x a week and we drill but we don’t do contact drills because the coach knows we do mma sparring twice a week already. So I’m trying lol

You can do these kind of drills even without contact, just fighting for positioning.

If memory doesn't betrays me there's a video in one of Sinister threads of his students doing this.

I take it you are the guy in a white shirt?

Firstly I'll mention what I think you are doing well. Which is maintaining eyes on opponent and not overreacting. These are both fundamentally essential above all else and challenging for beginners. I know because I'm still on that journey lol. If it was 100% sparring that may start to be difficult and if it isn't you have a gift for this.

Now the stuff to improve....

Take a long analytical look at your opponent. What is different between him and you?
He is in the same absolutely perfect balanced stance at ALL times. He does not change it and the only movements are small as possible highly efficient ones which are known to be effective.

You were never in good stance ever throughout the round/s. And you were continually changing your entire body positioning, and in none of those positions were your weapons and defenses in a good place (hands, arms, shoulders etc).
What I recommend is learning the popular /conventional "side on" boxing stance like your partner has. Make use of a line on the ground and plant each foot either side of the line.
You can find tons of videos on YouTube showing you how.
Consider that stance with guard up & elbows tucked "neutral" . That is your home position, your aim is to be in that position for the whole round and only deviate slightly with each punch, slip, duck, block & parry etc.
Each of the fundamental actions of punch, slip, duck, block & parry may be performed from your neutral stance with very minimal change. Your body, hips & shoulders should rotate for punches, slips & blocks but your posture and stance stay the same.
Basically just copy your partner.
This side on stance priotises linear in out movement which you perform with small shuffle steps moving the foot closest to your destination first.
The same thing goes for sideways movement but it will be slow and inefficient.
Fast sideways movent relies on switching to a square on stance, pivoting or skip steps etc.
But don't do any of those things till you have mastered basics. You don't ever truly need to go into square stance and vast majority of coaches will tell you to stay in the side on stance at all times.

Good boxing is almost always about moving as little as possible. Find the perfect balanced stance, the most protective hand position that allows you good vision and stay in it throughout the fight. The fighter who manages to best is almost always the winner because they are both not made tired and they were always in the perfect position to punch, block or slip the fastest.

In regards to people telling you to move more, that is very confusing advice !

Boxing "movement" is about only subtley shifting back and forth or twisting side to side between two positions fairly close to each other.

Head movement /slips need only be a hands width at most. Learn to defend your chin with your shoulders.
To untrained eyes it often looks like boxers are moving a lot when in fact they are only moving a few inches back and forth.
The fighters that break these unwritten rules/convention and have success are very rare.
One example is Roy Jones Jr. Who movement around wildly all over the place without hands up and ready. But this does t work unless you are a truly exceptional talent

Looked better in the third round. You were sitting down more, you had your feet under you better when moving, you started to parry and most importantly you switched your weight from front to back more. In the first round you were consistently heavy on the front foot, leaning in a lot and crossing your feet while moving. Your circling out to your right side went pretty well though. Being heavy on the front foot and leaning in with the jab isn't necessarily bad, especially for MMA if you're setting the takedown up, but you'll want to practice having more options if you want to improve your boxing.

Basics man. Keep your feet under you and stay in your stance, small steps even when you're bouncing and play around with your weight distribution. I think variations of drills where you plant your feet, don't move, and switch your weight from front to backfoot while blocking and/or slipping/rolling as a partner lightly taps you would work wonders for you right now. Tuck that chin while you do it. It would lend itself well to getting comfortable in mid/close range too.

PS: You're good at leaping in and out and darting, as seen in your MMA fights, and that's a great tool to have. Practicing the other things doesn't mean you can't switch it up at a later time, even when boxing.

Just my 2 cents. Hope all is well!

I take it you are the guy in a white shirt?

Firstly I'll mention what I think you are doing well. Which is maintaining eyes on opponent and not overreacting. These are both fundamentally essential above all else and challenging for beginners. I know because I'm still on that journey lol. If it was 100% sparring that may start to be difficult and if it isn't you have a gift for this.

Now the stuff to improve....

Take a long analytical look at your opponent. What is different between him and you?
He is in the same absolutely perfect balanced stance at ALL times. He does not change it and the only movements are small as possible highly efficient ones which are known to be effective.

You were never in good stance ever throughout the round/s. And you were continually changing your entire body positioning, and in none of those positions were your weapons and defenses in a good place (hands, arms, shoulders etc).
What I recommend is learning the popular /conventional "side on" boxing stance like your partner has. Make use of a line on the ground and plant each foot either side of the line.
You can find tons of videos on YouTube showing you how.
Consider that stance with guard up & elbows tucked "neutral" . That is your home position, your aim is to be in that position for the whole round and only deviate slightly with each punch, slip, duck, block & parry etc.
Each of the fundamental actions of punch, slip, duck, block & parry may be performed from your neutral stance with very minimal change. Your body, hips & shoulders should rotate for punches, slips & blocks but your posture and stance stay the same.
Basically just copy your partner.
This side on stance priotises linear in out movement which you perform with small shuffle steps moving the foot closest to your destination first.
The same thing goes for sideways movement but it will be slow and inefficient.
Fast sideways movent relies on switching to a square on stance, pivoting or skip steps etc.
But don't do any of those things till you have mastered basics. You don't ever truly need to go into square stance and vast majority of coaches will tell you to stay in the side on stance at all times.

Good boxing is almost always about moving as little as possible. Find the perfect balanced stance, the most protective hand position that allows you good vision and stay in it throughout the fight. The fighter who manages to best is almost always the winner because they are both not made tired and they were always in the perfect position to punch, block or slip the fastest.
Looked better in the third round. You were sitting down more, you had your feet under you better when moving, you started to parry and most importantly you switched your weight from front to back more. In the first round you were consistently heavy on the front foot, leaning in a lot and crossing your feet while moving. Your circling out to your right side went pretty well though. Being heavy on the front foot and leaning in with the jab isn't necessarily bad, especially for MMA if you're setting the takedown up, but you'll want to practice having more options if you want to improve your boxing.

Basics man. Keep your feet under you and stay in your stance, small steps even when you're bouncing and play around with your weight distribution. I think variations of drills where you plant your feet, don't move, and switch your weight from front to backfoot while blocking and/or slipping/rolling as a partner lightly taps you would work wonders for you right now. Tuck that chin while you do it. It would lend itself well to getting comfortable in mid/close range too.

PS: You're good at leaping in and out and darting, as seen in your MMA fights, and that's a great tool to have. Practicing the other things doesn't mean you can't switch it up at a later time, even when boxing.

Just my 2 cents. Hope all is well!
Yeah you guys are right. I think my biggest issue is crossing my feet and making big movements in close. Staying balanced and in stance is probably the hardest thing for me.

More hip movement and shifts in body weight like Sano and Lucas are saying is the way to go.

Yeah you guys are right. I think my biggest issue is crossing my feet and making big movements in close. Staying balanced ...
More hip movement and shifts in body weight..

Pretty much.

I just watched the third round, you did much better with stance there but it's still not 100%.
It takes a good while to nail it even when you know what it's supposed to be. Your shoulders/torso is too square and open currently.
Pro boxing is not the best place to look for a guide on fundamentals because so much of it is about both setting traps and entertainment.
In pro boxing Jorge Linares and Naoya Inoue are good examples of the conventional side on stance done well. Both actually use longer than necessary stances because it allows you to shoot in and out for meaningfully powerful straight punches.
Pro boxers, especially Naoya tend to be front foot heavy at all times this allows for power andiand accuracy in your jab but removes power from the right hand.
If you watch amateur boxing by Russians etc. They spend a lot of time on back foot doing "provoking jabs" with no power in them. They can pendulum bounce back and forth (and side to side) in the rear foot heavy position and at the right time simultaneously throw the right hand and shift weight to front foot, for a powerful right hand.
The shift of bodyweight together with an aggressive snappy shoulder turn from rear to front puts the maximum meat into a straight right punch.

After you have learned all the fundamental components of your side on stance, straight punches, blocks, Parry's and counters which are used at long range.
Then work on hooks! Where short arms,a turning of the body and shifts of bodyweight from left to right (as opposed to forward and back) is where power comes from.

Back