BJ Penn (2008-2009) vs Khabib

That era BJ could use his jab to keep Khabib from getting too close to secure a TD. He was pinpint accurate with that jab, and he had a heavy jab that kept people off balance. And even if Khabib managed to get close, BJ had a crazy agility and TD defense. But if it did hit the ground, I'd take Khabib at that point. BJ was tricky on the ground but it was usually from top position, and I don't think he ever fought anybody like Khabib on the ground, except maybe GSP.

It's a toss up. BJ bashes him on the feet and doesn't make any TD easy. But if Khabib manages to get the TD it's his fight to win.
BJ was very difficult to take down. That’s easily overlooked.
GSP had some of the best takedowns ever and struggled at times in their two fights

Prime BJ was good but he lost twice to Frankie. Now i know MMA math is junk and all that but Khabib is still a better fighter than Edgar

khabib wins this

Khabib wins. His grappling is nothing like BJ has every witnessed, it's a great mixture of wrestling, judo, bjj, and sambo. On top of that, Khabib is relentless and punishing and has the threat of takedown. And Khabib has a great chin. It's not recency bias as some people claim, it's facts. Khabib is the LW GOAT.

Penn would be the better striker between the two, but it doesn't matter: Khabib is just way too strong for BJ.
BJ's BJJ would be useless because he would be stuck against the cage and be eating Khabib's fist all night long.

Khabib is just way too strong for BJ.

I'm not so sure about that. BJ faced stronger fighters and did well against them. I doubt Khabib is stronger than a prime Hughes, or GSP, or a green but still HW Machida.

I doubt Khabib's strength would be a shock to BJ. If anything, I think Khabib's relentless pressure would pose more problems. But that type of pressure opens you up for counters you don't see coming. And BJ was good at that.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. BJ faced stronger fighters and did well against them. I doubt Khabib is stronger than a prime Hughes, or GSP, or a green but still HW Machida.

I doubt Khabib's strength would be a shock to BJ. If anything, I think Khabib's relentless pressure would pose more problems. But that type of pressure opens you up for counters you don't see coming. And BJ was good at that.
I agree that Prime Hughes and GSP are physically stronger than Khabib, Khabib is strong, but his biggest asset is technique. His grappling technique and ability to shift his weight efficently is on a whole other level. Many have said that his technique makes him feel much stronger than he actually is.

At LW, Kevin lee is more explosive (in the first round) than Khabib, but he doesn't have Khabib's technique or his cardio.

I agree that Prime Hughes and GSP are physically stronger than Khabib, Khabib is strong, but his biggest asset is technique. His grappling technique and ability to shift his weight efficently is on a whole other level. Many have said that his technique makes him feel much stronger than he actually is.

At LW, Kevin lee is more explosive (in the first round) than Khabib, but he doesn't have Khabib's technique or his cardio.

I agree and I kind of think we're both saying the same thing here. Khabib has a great talent for shifting his weight efficiently. But if you think prime BJ didn't have that same talent, idk what to tell you.

BJ has never fought anybody quite like Khabib before... but he's come a lot closer than Khabib has to fighting somebody like a prime BJ before. Can we at least agree on that?

I agree and I kind of think we're both saying the same thing here. Khabib has a great talent for shifting his weight efficiently. But if you think prime BJ didn't have that same talent, idk what to tell you.

BJ has never fought anybody quite like Khabib before... but he's come a lot closer than Khabib has to fighting somebody like a prime BJ before. Can we at least agree on that?
Ya I agree with this, but I still do think Khabib wins, I can definately see Khabib breaking Penn in a 5 rounder.

Ya I agree with this, but I still do think Khabib wins, I can definately see Khabib breaking Penn in a 5 rounder.

I agree I think Khabib is the favorite here. But it's an interesting matchup that I think would put Khabib in situations we haven't seen him in before. And I wouldn't be shocked to see prime Penn win. But yeah I honestly see Khabib probably winning that.

I agree I think Khabib is the favorite here. But it's an interesting matchup that I think would put Khabib in situations we haven't seen him in before. And I wouldn't be shocked to see prime Penn win. But yeah I honestly see Khabib probably winning that.
I mean we say this with every Khabib fight. How's Khabib gonna do against the striking of Conor? How's Khabib gonna do against the striking+BJJ of Dustin? How's Khabib gonna handle the legkicks/powershots/D1 wrestling and scrambles of Gaethje?

Turns out he deals with them relatively well. The more we doubt him, the better he does.

I mean we say this with every Khabib fight. How's Khabib gonna do against the striking of Conor? How's Khabib gonna do against the striking+BJJ of Dustin? How's Khabib gonna handle the legkicks/powershots/D1 wrestling and scrambles of Gaethje?

Turns out he deals with them relatively well. The more we doubt him, the better he does.

I don't think any of those guys present the same puzzle that a prime BJ Penn did. For various reasons.

I don't think any of those guys present the same puzzle that a prime BJ Penn did. For various reasons.
Before Khabib fought those guys, most people said the same. It's only after Khabib dominated them that they changed their stance. Everyone is Khabib's worst stylistic matchup until he goes in their and dominates them beginning to end.

Before Khabib fought those guys, most people said the same. It's only after Khabib dominated them that they changed their stance. Everyone is Khabib's worst stylistic matchup until he goes in their and dominates them beginning to end.

I thought we were done talking like an hour ago.

My point is, it's true that Khabib hasn't fought a fighter like Penn. But they were saying the same thing when he was going to fight Conor, Dustin, Justin.

My point is, I thought we were done talking like an hour ago.

BJ subs him , prime motivated BJ was a beast
People want to live in the narrative of the "now". Bj boxes him up, shows his flexibility to withstand takedowns, and subs him off his back. Or gets mauled into the living death.

Prime BJ was good but he lost twice to Frankie. Now i know MMA math is junk and all that but Khabib is still a better fighter than Edgar

khabib wins this
That wasnt prime BJ though. That was twinkle toes BJ. There is a difference.

Prime BJ was kind of a nightmare for wrestlers. Great stand up game, hard to take down and great bjj.

So, how do you think this fight would go?

Back