BJ Penn (2008-2009) vs Khabib

Motivated BJ Penn? With that look in his eye after meeting a sherdogger at the airport and training with Marinovich he’s unbeatable.

If he loses, it’s because he’s not motivated, a sherdogger snubbed him at the airport, he’s not training with Marinovich and he’s listening to Stone Temple Pilots (Vaseline).

Khabib would have embarrassed him.

In practice, Khabib is way better version of Matt Hughes. How can BJ beat Khabib? I respect BJ but Khabib's landslide pressure is too much for Benn

Bj Penn is one of the most overrated fighters of all time. You can't be considered one of the Goat's when you've lost your last seven fights and your last win was in 2010. And that includes a street fight loss to Paul Blart

Edgar beat the prime, ferocious Penn. Habib would have owned him easily imo.

bad for bj. kabibs mental side would shine here. bj could never handle when the fight wasn't going his way. even if he started the fight boxing up kabib and defending takedowns kabibs toughness and pressure would shine through and round 2-3 are take down ground and pound from kabib. bj was a guy who was putting it all together at the highest level when most of the other guys still weren't doing that. he had special striking, special wrestling defense and bjj. also being wild and from hawaii helped him. this is why so many loved him and wanted him to do well. but the thing is his mind was his hardest fight. and thats why hes where he is today. its a shame the ufc let him go on as he did. i think dana was trying to help line him up for one last shot it just kept not working out like what happened to chuck. this might help danas personal relationship with the fighter but it does not help the fighter to allow them to go on 3,4, 5 -7 fight loss streaks in the worlds premier fighting organization.

bj was infinite potential thrown in the garbage. i have a feeling conors headed down a similar path. maybe go on a lw losing streak and be forced to cut weight again where i can see him stringing some wins but i am now getting that bj penn vibe where if you are a fan you will be let down time and time again only to witness a sad ending .

I do think KN could take down prime Penn, but it's hard to say what happens after that--we haven't seen him fight anyone with scary submissions like Penn had.

The general consensus every one has is BJ would absolutely destroy khabib, round 1 rnc.

only khabib fans and bj haters say otherwise.
Yes, BJ had the BEST take down defense of all mma fighters!

I'm not so sure about that. BJ faced stronger fighters and did well against them. I doubt Khabib is stronger than a prime Hughes, or GSP, or a green but still HW Machida.

I doubt Khabib's strength would be a shock to BJ. If anything, I think Khabib's relentless pressure would pose more problems. But that type of pressure opens you up for counters you don't see coming. And BJ was good at that.
You are right! There is no way Khabib was as strong as Hughes or GSP! Not even close physically to those two!

BJ is one of the biggest “what if’s” for me. He had the most natural skill set in the game. He was just to lazy and undisciplined to sharpen those skills to full potential. If he would have started and ended at a team where it’s, as Chael say, iron on iron everyday in the practice room, he would probably be the greatest of all time. No cap.

Bj Penn is one of the most overrated fighters of all time. You can't be considered one of the Goat's when you've lost your last seven fights and your last win was in 2010. And that includes a street fight loss to Paul Blart
I don't disagree, but Fedor Lost 3 in a row, then fought an unknown Indian dude, and three guys in a row that have been fighting since the 90s with 50 losses between them. Even before his losses he had fights against freaks like HMC, little guys like Lindland, and a ton of Japanese cans. And yet that doesnt seem to affect his legacy.
Bottom line is there is only one man in Khabibs category and that is GSP...and GSP wrecks him

I don't disagree, but Fedor Lost 3 in a row, then fought an unknown Indian dude, and three guys in a row that have been fighting since the 90s with 50 losses between them. Even before his losses he had fights against freaks like HMC, little guys like Lindland, and a ton of Japanese cans. And yet that doesnt seem to affect his legacy.
Bottom line is there is only one man in Khabibs category and that is GSP...and GSP wrecks him

GSP bless. I get what your saying, but at some point fighting past your prime and losing over and over affects your legacy. The difference between Penn and Fedor is gigantic for me. Fedor had a winning streak of 28 fights, and i know there was some cans in their but that is almost unheard of in MMA. Bj Penn's longest winning streak is 6, and he has more than double the losses that Fedor has with a 1/3 less fights. (penn 30 fights 14 losses, Fedor 45 fights 6 losses.) You can't be considered a Goat when you barely are a 500 fighter. And yes Bj fought up in weight at times, but if you are a Goat you can't use the excuse of the fighters were bigger than me. Plenty of fighters have moved up in weight and had way more success. (Mas, Chiesa, Anderson, Gsp) Him fighting Machida was just stupid. That's why i think Fedor's legacy is not affected that much. Penn's is gone at this point. No where near a GOAT

Back