BJJ and Corona Virus

The first cases didn't have cough and this was one of the reasons epidemiologists said it wouldn't spread but the latest symptoms include cough so it may have already mutated, the biomarkers in the virus tests are only for a small part of the genome - I guess it could have mutated on other parts of the genome so they haven't catch up to it yet

To be blunt, precautions should always be taken because flu season is no joke.

Wash your hands, wash your gear, people at the gym need to clean the mat. Also cough/sneeze into your elbow like a dab, not into your hands.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried as I'm 49, but I'll train until someone in my city is confirmed with it. We have a guy that is supposed to be going to China for a few weeks in March...that is a HUGE worry for me too.

To be blunt, precautions should always be taken because flu season is no joke.

Wash your hands, wash your gear, people at the gym need to clean the mat. Also cough/sneeze into your elbow like a dab, not into your hands.

dude ir you are training all of those things matter next to nothing, if you roll with someone sick you are catching it

My workplace is starting to implement business continuity measures. I think its pretty foolish to not be concerned AT ALL with a virus that can be spread by someone showing no symptoms and is obviously very contagious.

South Korea went from >20 cases to over 2000 cases in a few days and theyre arguably handling testing for it the best out of everyone.

Last edited:
Yes this is going to be a "pandemic" virus much like H1N1. No this is not going to be the bubonic plague and wipe out the human race like you are insinuating.

Keep dodging the questions. What's your 'scientific background' that you claim to have?

You sound like a youtube educated flat earther.

Stay inside, keep the mask and tinfoil hat on at all times, make sure to have a years supply of bunker food and water on you, and plenty of guns because the Apocalypse is nigh!

By the way here's some facts for the people saying "younger people are more at risk" :

5e583c47fee23d4cf4755b27

And for the record let's look at a 1st world country with good medical infrastructure, one with a high enough sample size and the one that is the most affected outside of China, aka South Korea. The mortality rate there is low. There are only 11 deaths out of 1,766 cases of infection.

Yes this is serious, it's like h1n1. Yes people should stock up on water or whatever, sure. But TS is pushing something else entirely. For the record this is SARS, meaning this is fucking airborne. This is transferred through coughing, sneezing, simply talking or accidentally spitting a bit in any form.

Yes grappling with someone infected is very high risk, no shit, but the chances of ~20-30 guys in grappling classes max infecting you is obviously not as risky as going out in crowded public places once this hits. Hence why this thread is some conspiracy, doomsday prepping bullshit. /thread

Last edited:
dude ir you are training all of those things matter next to nothing, if you roll with someone sick you are catching it

That's actually bullshit.

Cleaning things matters.

Washing your hands fucking matters.

Your opponent washing their hands matters.

You and your opponent cleaning their gi matters.

The gym cleaning the mats matters.

It does not reduce the chance of pathological transference to zero, but it does matter.

Don't be a retard.

Wow, I think a lot of these responses would be different if you people watched the video Old Guy posted by the Yale educated pathologist. That guy wasn't fuckin around.

By the way here's some facts for the people saying "younger people are more at risk" :
What is meaning?
Chances to be ill with virus?
Chances to get complications?
Risk if complications developed?
--
I can easily post bunches of links with mortality rate from : casual non virus related pneumonia, hearth attack, asthma etc.
And these tables too will show that age group >80 y.o does have higher mortality %.
Despite, yes, non related to any viruses.
-
Also percentage tables, that shows: patients delivered to hospital by ambulance for any reason ( be it trauma or other reasons ) does have higher death % in hospital if they are >85 years old.
-
Cardiology reasearch tables too….surprisingly shows that > 80 years old patients with hearth rythm disorders, hearth attacks etc….does have higher mortality rate % than younger patients.
-
Statistic tables also shows that average lifespan is less than 80 years.
So, death of >80 years olds is…..common process. If someone is 80 y.o this already is achievment: he already is living longer than average statistical person. Majority of population doesn't reach 80 years of age.

Last edited:
That's actually bullshit.

Cleaning things matters.

Washing your hands fucking matters.

Your opponent washing their hands matters.

You and your opponent cleaning their gi matters.

The gym cleaning the mats matters.

It does not reduce the chance of pathological transference to zero, but it does matter.

Don't be a retard.

It matters zero to nothing if your classmate has a virus, and your rolling with him.

This isn't a joke. You should have 3-4 months food and water. Medicines. People are already starting to panic for food supplies in HI. They are openly talking about shutting down public events and schools. Again, this isn't the flu. It is 50X more deadly and orders of magnitude more contagious. Italy went from completely normal to locked down in less than a week. Our stock market had the biggest one day point drop in history yesterday.

You are not a fool to prepare.

My prediction - the USA numbers will suddenly spike and the panic will begin in earnest. Why? We are not testing now. CA has 200 test kits total. 8400 people are under "self isolation". They are all untested. When we do start testing, it will expose the fact that CV is here.

It hits old people (60+) the hardest. It is not effecting kids that much.

What is meaning?
Chances to be ill with virus?
Chances to get complications?
Risk if complications developed?
--
I can easily post bunches of links with mortality rate from : casual non virus related pneumonia, hearth attack, asthma etc.
And these tables too will show that age group >80 y.o does have higher mortality %.
Despite, yes, non related to any viruses.
-
Also percentage tables, that shows: patients delivered to hospital by ambulance for any reason ( be it trauma or other reasons ) does have higher death % in hospital if they are >85 years old.
-
Cardiology reasearch tables too….surprisingly shows that > 80 years old patients with hearth rythm disorders, hearth attacks etc….does have higher mortality rate % than younger patients.
-
Statistic tables also shows that average lifespan is less than 80 years.
So, death of >80 years olds is…..common process. If someone is 80 y.o this already is achievment: he already is living longer than average statistical person. Majority of population doesn't reach 80 years of age.

What are you talking about? It's pretty straightforward here. According to China, based on their ~80,000 cases and ~11,000 deaths (whatever the accurate number is there) they did a study on the mortality rate by age.

No offense but I don't think you understand how this stuff works. You realize the deaths come from those things FROM the virus, it's not some arbitrary "virus cause of death". If you had AIDS for example, you would die from kidney failure, heart failure, lung disease (just examples)...specifically you are dying from a compromised immune system allowing other viruses/bacteria, normal infections to have serious repercussions and cause death.

You can project all you want about "young people dying" more than old people. I don't care. This is data and science proving the opposite, at least from one source and specifically pertaining to this Coronavirus-SARS outbreak. In the case of H1N1 you would be correct, older people over 65 were not affected as much as those under 65 for some reason, but again I bet the numbers were way higher in infants/toddlers and those 40-64 - just a guess.

Again it's a graph, it's pretty simple here. The vast majority of deaths have been in patients older than 60-70, and very few have been recorded (in proportion) in those under 50 years old. That's China, so I would take it with a grain of salt for the record too. But if they are remotely accurate it tells us this causes death in older people over the age of 50-60 dramatically more than those younger than 40-50 range, the opposite of what you and TS were saying on the other pages I believe.

It matters zero to nothing if your classmate has a virus, and your rolling with him.

Yes I have to agree with you here. The other guy is right too obviously cleaning the mats will help (all the other people and classes on mats, especially kids classes) but that's not a realistic thing either...no school is going to clean their mats 3-5 times a day.

If you are rolling with someone infected you are fucked. This is an airborne virus. You are going to be starting on knees or standing up, face to face basically, head on head wrestling, on top in guard, bottom in guard, side control, etc. You are going to be using your head as a post and plant it into the other guy's chest/head/etc. At that point you're 100% fucked unless you miraculously just don't contract it, because heavy breathing = airborne virus = you are exposed.

But what I've been saying in this thread, is that...this thread is retarded anyway. Because just look logically: This virus is airborne. Coughing, sneezing, breathing, any fraction or microscopic amount of spit flying in the air = transmission vector.

So just think about it scientifically, logically here. What puts you at more risk, the odds the 3-5 guys you drill/roll with have it, the 8-20 people in a given class, the 50-100 people using the mats in one day (cleaned or not, time elapsed for virus to die on surfaces factored).

OR going into a train, a mall, a supermarket, on a plane, in a hospital/doctor's office, a school, bars/clubs. Any gathering of people into enclosed spaces = more risky than rolling with people at BJJ, unless you're constantly wearing a gas mask and bleaching your hands/clothes, sure.

And for the record now, South Korea (and somewhere else) has shut down public schools for children for the month of March, next month. Great idea. And proves my point as well.

There's more to microbiology than viruses. Bacteria and fungi are an issue too.

The people on the mat failing to clean themselves and their gear is the best way to spread all three.

You're thinking in a limited way of only yourself. I'm talking about public health level, even at the micro level of the public health of one gym community.

Now obviously don't go the gym if you've had a fever less than 24 hours ago, but don't act like cleanliness doesn't matter to the spread of disease.

Even on an individual level the difference between whether a partner gives you something or not can literally boil down to if they washed their hands after sneezing into them before the class started.

It is idiotic and ignorant to pretend clean technique and hand washing and cleaning mats, gis, and gym gear does not matter.

Do not be an idiot. Stop it.

"According to China, ..."

No skill Gap - are you retarded? Did you take the short bus to school? Did your mom smoke and drink while you were in the womb? Why would you believe ANYTHING that China reports? They are lying their commie asses off. Seriously. Some people are so dumb they don't deserve to live.

Back