BJJ and strokes

I've moved toward slowly gliding into chokes, same as a joint lock. In some ways I think it is even more effective because the person getting choked doesn't panic/spaz when the choke slowly is coming on, and they recognize it too late to escape - and it helps me to get my technique correct too because if I don't explode into a choke my positioning and setup is usually better.
our gym rules clearly state that you must tap before you are choked...IE the split-second you feel the pressure

I stopped training in part because I was scared of disc problems in my neck or back, which seems to absolutely wreck people and is very common (everyone whos been doing BJJ long enough knows someone with a neck bad enough that it'll likely affect them for the rest of their life)

No thanks, not worth it to me

Or you could just... you know... live your life and train. Outliers are not determinant of your outcome. I would rather achieve a black belt then sit in my room for the rest of my life because everything outside is dangerous.

Or you could just... you know... live your life and train. Outliers are not determinant of your outcome. I would rather achieve a black belt then sit in my room for the rest of my life because everything outside is dangerous.

The intention is awareness. People still play football, but now they are aware of CTE.

Another stroke from a choke. Sad that he is permanently blind in one eye as a result. Full story here: https://adventuresinhealth.tv/2019/...rotid-artery-and-a-stroke-with-matthew-jacob/

About Matthew Jacob
Screen-Shot-2019-02-01-at-7.29.07-AM-150x150.png

I had a stroke on July 5, 2015. The stroke left me blind in my left eye, impaired 25% of vision in my right eye, restricted movement on the right side of my body, and created difficulty even with the most basic parts of speech. For example, I couldn’t do things like name common household items such as a cup or a spoon, come up with the names of my wife and kids, and I constantly used to switch words like he and she. I was told by my doctors that would I never be able to work again. It was scary. But I battled back. I knew I would get better. I had daily speech, physical and occupational therapy. It was grueling, and at times frustrating, but I stuck with it, never missing a session. Thankfully, my vision returned in my right eye, even though I remain blind in my left. My speech recovered, and the right side of my body is probably about 80% back to pre-stroke levels. Most importantly, I returned to work 10 months after the stroke. I proved them wrong!

I stopped training in part because I was scared of disc problems in my neck or back, which seems to absolutely wreck people and is very common (everyone whos been doing BJJ long enough knows someone with a neck bad enough that it'll likely affect them for the rest of their life)

No thanks, not worth it to me
You stopped training grappling altogether? You can maybe go easier or train less often.
I am thinking of getting back into grappling again after a long day off.

I also think that no-gi is safer than gi for these issues, as the body is less likely to get pulled into unnatural alignments and the effect of the gi makes chokes worse.

You stopped training grappling altogether? You can maybe go easier or train less often.
I am thinking of getting back into grappling again after a long day off.

I also think that no-gi is safer than gi for these issues, as the body is less likely to get pulled into unnatural alignments and the effect of the gi makes chokes worse.
I just turned 30 and have an awful neck from bjj. Three fingers on my right hand are pretty numb, it’s constantly locked up to some degree, and certain lifts in the gym make it totally lock up for a couple weeks. Oddly enough my issues came from no gi, specifically getting darced into oblivion as a white belt.

Heard some rumors about strokes before, now got facts and interviews, much appreciated for the info.
Too bad there are some blood chokes where you don't even feel like going out and then boom you go to sleep. For example:

So that got me wondering do you always snore while going out or there are some people that just limp silently?

So that got me wondering do you always snore while going out or there are some people that just limp silently?
I've seen a variety of reactions from people going out in training - from moaning/groaning, to snoring, to more or less silent, to seizure-like reactions

Chris Martin is doing amazing work for those of us affected by carotid artery dissections from grappling. Mine was diagnosed a decade late when I was hospitalized for a dvt in 2019.

A scan revealed my left carotid was 100% occluded and the head of the vascular unit said it had been for well over a decade.

He asked if I had been suffering blindness, light headedness, and loss of use in my right arm, which I had but didn't know what was going on.

It was such a relief to know after 10 years of symptoms what was happening.

Now I tell all my students, tap early, tap often. ❤

Another stroke from a choke. Sad that he is permanently blind in one eye as a result. Full story here: https://adventuresinhealth.tv/2019/...rotid-artery-and-a-stroke-with-matthew-jacob/

About Matthew Jacob
Screen-Shot-2019-02-01-at-7.29.07-AM-150x150.png

I had a stroke on July 5, 2015. The stroke left me blind in my left eye, impaired 25% of vision in my right eye, restricted movement on the right side of my body, and created difficulty even with the most basic parts of speech. For example, I couldn’t do things like name common household items such as a cup or a spoon, come up with the names of my wife and kids, and I constantly used to switch words like he and she. I was told by my doctors that would I never be able to work again. It was scary. But I battled back. I knew I would get better. I had daily speech, physical and occupational therapy. It was grueling, and at times frustrating, but I stuck with it, never missing a session. Thankfully, my vision returned in my right eye, even though I remain blind in my left. My speech recovered, and the right side of my body is probably about 80% back to pre-stroke levels. Most importantly, I returned to work 10 months after the stroke. I proved them wrong!
was yours caused by a chokehold or something else? glad you've recovered some of those abilities!

I just turned 30 and have an awful neck from bjj. Three fingers on my right hand are pretty numb, it’s constantly locked up to some degree, and certain lifts in the gym make it totally lock up for a couple weeks. Oddly enough my issues came from no gi, specifically getting darced into oblivion as a white belt.

I get that, 98% of my neck issues came from no gi.

What do you think is the reason for this? One would think that strangles and chokes would be worse with the gi.
Gi chokes are cleaner and not as "cranky" as no-gi, which is a lot of guillotines and head and arm chokes (arm in guillotine, arm triangles, darces, anacondas). Head and arm chokes are HELL on the neck. A clean gi choke gets a quick tap.

Gi chokes are cleaner and not as "cranky" as no-gi, which is a lot of guillotines and head and arm chokes (arm in guillotine, arm triangles, darces, anacondas). Head and arm chokes are HELL on the neck. A clean gi choke gets a quick tap.

My stroke was from a head and arm choke.

Back