bjj - what is the first submission you learned, and your favorite "go to" submission

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm just short of a year in to bjj. My most automatic and favorite is the same as the first I learned, the americana "paintbrush"

Probably the Americana. The first ever move I hit in live rolling was a cross collar in the closed guard of my opponent. She was a woman. I have changed a lot since then.

These days I prefer darces and leg locks.

Rear naked choke and Americana are the first I remember learning. I still use rear naked chokes all the time lol, I like to hunt the back. I also enjoy arm triangles.

I triangled a guy my first rolling session. I had never learned it, only seen it on television. Not surprisingly, it was a very poor triangle, and I'm pretty sure he only tapped cause he was almost as new as I was, and he was exhausted and overweight

Kimura. First sub I pulled off in a roll, and I still love it to this day.

I try to use everything that I know, because I want to improve...but my go to move has always been the Arm Triangle Choke

Rear naked choke, learned it while training Bando in the early 80s. The first submission learned in a BJJ class was probably the arm bar from mount, which I learned in the late 90s. It seemed like it was the only submission we used to work on, we'd do reps of it almost every class like a warm-up drill.

My go to submission is the Darce, which I go for all the time and never hit. It's like I have submission turretts, I don't have long arms and never set it up right, but I can't stop going for it.

Straight Ankle Lock was the first thing I was able to get (other white belts).

I knew a ton of shit from Judo. My first "BJJ lesson" was from a 3 stripe purple belt named Ethan Milius back in 1997. He taught the butterfly sweep from the seated guard.

It was absolutely fantastic because it employed the very essence of Jiu Jitsu. It set the foundation of everything else.

I know it's not a submission. Because I don't remember the first submission I learned or where it came from.

First I learned was a RNC. My dad showed me when I was like 5 years in 1996. He called it a "sleeper hold".

I don't remember what I learned first in BJJ classes. I had already watched a lot of MMA before I started that I had a basic understanding of a few submissions. We drill armbars and triangles as part of warmup every day, so I assume those were the first.

Triangles and arm triangles are my favorites. I've been catching more armbars than triangles lately, though.

Wow, the first one I ever learned? I'm not sure, but I looked through my workout log and the first move I wrote down from a class (back in January 2018) was a triangle choke.

My favorite sub is, well, NOT a triangle. Probably bow and arrow in the gi (just found it in my training log... I learned it on 7/16/2018!) and short choke in nogi (learned that December)--I like taking the back.

Last edited:
Funny enough, the VERY FRIST sub I learned in class was a CALF CRUSHER!

12 years later, it has re-emerged as one of my go-to's!

Last edited:
First I learned was the Americana, the submission I use the most and have the most success with is the guillotine

rear naked choke is the first sub i learned .

guillotine is my favorite, with arm-triangle being a close second

Armbar from neon belly, and now it makes a great go to for any choke series from side control/knee on belly. If you threaten hard enough eventually most people will throw an arm out. As for current, Brabo choke.

Back