bjj - what is your go to move from knee on the belly

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Greetings. I am a little over a year into bjj, and have recently started really appreciating what a key move knee on the belly is, and how many other positions and moves it can lead in to. I am leanings towards using it until the opponent shoves my knee off, then sticking my "boot lace" area of my lower leg into their arm pit area, try and get their arm under my armpit, and lay back for the armbar while holding behind the tricep, swinging my other leg to pin their head down. If the arm cannot stay trapped under my arm for that lock, I then go to the traditional arm bar and keep their thumb pointed up.

I would be interested what your "go to " move from knee on the belly is, if you had to pick one. Thanks

Last edited:
Usually if they don’t give the far arm fuck around with a baseball bat choke and then either mount or attack the back

Kind of embarrassing to think that I'm not really confident with my submission game from that position. I've always had difficulty attacking the farside armbar, and most people are too wise near side. My baseball technique is not what it should be.

I mostly just use it as a transition to mount, where I am a lot stronger.

Pop to Knee on Belly, slide to arm ride on the nearside arm and pin it.

Do nasty choke things while they've only one arm free.

Make it suck, take what they give me

Pop to Knee on Belly, slide to arm ride on the nearside arm and pin it.

Do nasty choke things while they've only one arm free.
The best grappler I train with is a master at this idea. He is also very good at armbarring the far side arm from this position.

A funny move I use is the knee on belly cradle making people tap out from pressure. More serious moves are far side armbars and kimuras.

Unfortunately, my go to move from there is getting swept, turtling to avoid being flattened out, getting my back taken and then having to defend a lapel choke until the round ends. I know there are better options from there and I'm trying to get better at them.

Last edited:
Far side kimura / armbar.
Baseball bat choke.

Mount, then take what they give me. If I wanna be a dock I’ll grab the back of the collar and the far side leg and lull them into a pointed knee, try to get a pressure tap.

Always the baseball bat choke for me. One of my favourite things in the gi.

I actually need to probably try more things out from that position, but thats what i get 9/10 on lesser opponents.

Against better grapplers, im still trying to get to that position LOL

Back