BJM yesterday made me think

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Every time he mentioned that a fighter had been more active/dangerous from the bottom, he ended up predicting the judges decision wrong.

That (at first) got me thinking.
I 100% agree with him. Whoever is more active/more dangerous should receive the nod, not just the person at the top.

The question is: What can be done to turn this into reality???

Sound off, Sherdog!

There was one fight which was ridiculous, the guy in bottom was attacking the whole time, dude on top did NOTHING except defend and "won."

Edit:

Brent Primus vs. Islam Mamedov

Primus supplied all the offense from the bottom and judges just go "guy on top must be winning."

The problem is that MMA judges suck, and it is extremely rare where the guy on bottom legitimately deserves to win. Aside from this fight, and Mousasi vs King Mo, I can't think of other clear examples where the guy on bottom was clearly more effective.

Last edited:
Got to go through the commissions who assign the judges.

Judges need to be re-taught the criteria. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say Primus/Mamedov was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. He arguably won all 3 rounds but won 1 and 2 clearly by the letter of the criteria.

Being on top doesnt mean being dominant, particularly in this case or when Sabatello hugs people for 15 minutes. Guys on bottom who stay active with submissions or strikes should be rewarded not punished.

Idk but take a shot on Gilbert Melendez on da mic

There was one fight which was ridiculous, the guy in bottom was attacking the whole time, dude on top did NOTHING except defend and "won."

Edit:

Primus supplied all the offense from the bottom and judges just go "guy on top must be winning."

The problem is that MMA judges suck, and it is extremely rare where the guy on bottom legitimately deserves to win. Aside from this fight, and Mousasi vs King Mo, I can't think of other clear examples where the guy on bottom was clearly more effective.
hahaha I was thinking exactly of that fight (Mou & King Mo) as well as Primus vs. Mamedov.
Those are two good examples that could be used to help educate judges...

hahaha I was thinking exactly of that fight (Mou & King Mo) as well as Primus vs. Mamedov.
Those are two good examples that could be used to help educate judges...
It would do the sport a great service if all judges got it into their head that top control with no damage while the bottom is attacking should go to the guy on the bottom. Would eliminate boring wrestlefuckers, ala Sabatello, Mamedov, etc.

Edit:

Horiguchi/Caldwell 2 is an example of one where they got it right.

It would do the sport a great service if all judges got it into their head that top control with no damage while the bottom is attacking should go to the guy on the bottom. Would eliminate boring wrestlefuckers, ala Sabatello, Mamedov, etc.
AGreed.
the main issue I see is a complete lack of accountability.
Even judges famous for obscene scoring are not spoken to. They are added to the pool for the next events like nothing happened.

IMHO there should be some form or way for judges to be "graded" and accountable for their mistakes, the same way as there should be for referees... which I don't see much as well, but at least most get heat from viewers, and they are taught and trained.

RIght now, it's more important than to stand up than it is to be offensive from a guard position, even if the opposition is not being aggressive in a meaningful way. It really hinders the diversity of mma.

I'm the weirdo who wants wrestling shoes, rainbow pants, and judo gis back. LET THE GAMES BEGIN

I respectfully but strongly disagree. I see it as similar to the TJ/Cory fight. Obviously the scale of damage is less but the principle is the same. The more active/aggressive fighter did less damage. Mamedov significantly oustruck Primus, and people will say that "none of the blows were devastating", which is true, but nothing that Primus hit with was devastating either, and if you took the force in newtons of all of Mamedov's successful strikes vs. all of Primus' successful strikes, and the force of all Mamedov's successful strikes to the head vs. Primus' strikes to the head, Primus absorbed more force in newtons than Mamedov. And while both numbers would be low compared to say other fights, they wouldn't be close to each other as a percentage. Not only did he do more damage, he did what I'd consider to be more preferable damage. As in if you had me choose which I prefer between getting hit in the head 50 times but only by "arm-strength" punches or having someone fail to submit my arm, and not come particularly close at that, I think we'd all choose damage to the arm and not the head.

Big John often speaks about how the criteria should be damage, he even had Cory winning the TJ fight. Well if the criteria is damage then Mamedov won the fight. A week ago, everyone in the UFC board was complaining that TJ shouldn't be rewarded for just being aggressive, walking forward but swinging and missing. That actually Cory won the fight because he did more damage. A failed submission is not fundamentally different from a missed strike or a failed takedown. Even if we give it any value it has to be tremendously minimal value. It's an inherent problem with submissions right now, they're high risk low reward. I don't think the answer is changing the scoring criteria so that some energetic humping of an arm is worth more than the 17-7 punch count or the 26-15 strike count, this is without mentioning the successful takedowns at all...

Back