BJS Advice on how to deal with wife

No we don't have freedom of speech. I don't like Billy but this was obviously a joke. Some aspects I like, for instance proper agitators of race hatred don't get a platform to spread their hate. But the BBBoC are more like Nike ending an athletes sponsorship because they expressed some views the company didn't think fitted with their image. And that happens all the time in your country.

So if they are like Nike could he come to the states and fight without any repercussions?

So if they are like Nike could he come to the states and fight without any repercussions?
Which changes what? You complained he could no longer fight so he could no longer earn his living but if Nike drops you that's a big part of your living. I know what you are saying but they aren't that different really in the end result, both end in a big drop in earnings. Why is it alright for private companies to shut someone down because of their views but it's wrong for an organisation like the BBBoC? Are they not allowed to take a moral stance against an individual that they license?

Really just a dumb joke. I'm more bothered by how stupid you have to be to post that shit in 2020 with SJWs running amok.

Really just a dumb joke. I'm more bothered by how stupid you have to be to post that shit in 2020 with SJWs running amok.
He knew it would trigger those SJWs which is why he published the video. It's a game to him. He 'fucks up' and then conveniently apologizes for his actions only to repeat the cycle.

Which changes what? You complained he could no longer fight so he could no longer earn his living but if Nike drops you that's a big part of your living. I know what you are saying but they aren't that different really in the end result, both end in a big drop in earnings. Why is it alright for private companies to shut someone down because of their views but it's wrong for an organisation like the BBBoC? Are they not allowed to take a moral stance against an individual that they license?

Is the answer to my question a yes or a no? I’m guessing you are saying it a no, but I’m really curious. If it’s a no what are the repercussions?

Is the answer to my question a yes or a no? I’m guessing you are saying it a no, but I’m really curious. If it’s a no what are the repercussions?
It's a no but what is the difference between this and Colin Kaepernick? Kaepernick can't work in the NFL, so where is his freedom of speech and his right to earn a living? Over in the UK he'd still be allowed to play. And he was defending civil rights, BJS just wants to make wife beating jokes.

It's a no but what is the difference between this and Colin Kaepernick? Kaepernick can't work in the NFL, so where is his freedom of speech and his right to earn a living? Over in the UK he'd still be allowed to play. And he was defending civil rights, BJS just wants to make wife beating jokes.
Humour is the lifeblood of society at this time.

*Eddie Large killed by COVID19.

Kaep is allowed to play. He sucks and no one wants his baggage though. He is free to say what he wants, but employers are still free to employ him or not.

Having freedom to say what you want doesnt mean there are no possible repercussions for it.

Kaep is allowed to play. He sucks and no one wants his baggage though. He is free to say what he wants, but employers are still free to employ him or not.

Having freedom to say what you want doesnt mean there are no possible repercussions for it.
Well that's the opposite of what happened to BJS. I think plenty of promoters would carry on working with him if he could get the Canelo fight. All they care about is money. And although none of the NFL wants to employ Kaepernick, Nike have seen value in sponsoring him. I'm glad that BJS can't box. And if there are repercussions for speaking your mind then you aren't really free to speak are you? BJS is suffering his repercussions for his freedom to speak. No one is stopping him making idiotic videos promoting domestic abuse are they? Just because the BBBoC don't want to associate themselves with the idiot mean that he doesn't have freedom of speech does it? BJS is free to speak his mind, but there are repercussions for doing so.

Last edited:
Well that's the opposite of what happened to BJS. I think plenty of promoters would carry on working with him if he could get the Canelo fight. All they care about is money. And although none of the NFL wants to employ Kaepernick, Nike have seen value in sponsoring him. I'm glad that BJS can't box. And if there are repercussions for speaking your mind then you aren't really free to speak are you? BJS is suffering his repercussions for his freedom to speak. No one is stopping him making idiotic videos promoting domestic abuse are they? Just because the BBBoC don't want to associate themselves with the idiot mean that he doesn't have freedom of speech does it? BJS is free to speak his mind, but there are repercussions for doing so.
Has Kaep been locked away for expressing his opinions or is he still a free citizen? Has anyone prevented him from expressing them?

I think your conflating repercussions and being barred, as @PUO3 said.

There is a massive difference between a private company cutting endorsement ties w an athlete and a state entity stopping one from competing, particularly in a case like this. He wasn’t caught cheating. He said said something that the powers that be deemed offensive ( I agree It was in poor taste btw), and they pulled his license.

It concerns me that some countries in west are now adopting speech controls, tactics totalitarian regimes have used since time immemorial to manage dissenters. If a group is large enough they get to control the narrative, they dictate what can be said and what can’t. See present day China in relation to covid, the doctors silenced and disappeared because they dared to tell the truth. That has always been the end result of adopting those so societal controls.

in American we have long history of defending a speech we personally find offensive because most of us understand that if all speech isn’t defended no speech is safe. The majority of people in the west used to understand this concept. I assume the younger crowd is far enough removed from the Second World War and Cold War to understand how bad things were. I suppose it’s one of those , if one is ignorant of history they are bound to repeat it.
My country’s founders speech was repressed by the crown and they made sure that would never happen to future generations by placing a free speech safe guard in our founding document, the Constitution.

I’m not trying to beat you up my friend, I’m just concerned by this thought process. History show us were this leads.

Has Kaep been locked away for expressing his opinions or is he still a free citizen? Has anyone prevented him from expressing them?
Has BJS been locked away or is he still a free citizen? He can post as many wife beating videos as he wants and nobody can stop him.

Has BJS been locked away or is he still a free citizen? He can post as many wife beating videos as he wants and nobody can stop him.
You asked about Kaeps freedom of speech here and I answered.

I think your conflating repercussions and being barred, as @PUO3 said.

There is a massive difference between a private company cutting endorsement ties w an athlete and a state entity stopping one from competing, particularly in a case like this. He wasn’t caught cheating. He said said something that the powers that be deemed offensive ( I agree It was in poor taste btw), and they pulled his license.

It concerns me that some countries in west are now adopting speech controls, tactics totalitarian regimes have used since time immemorial to manage dissenters. If a group is large enough they get to control the narrative, they dictate what can be said and what can’t. See present day China in relation to covid, the doctors silenced and disappeared because they dared to tell the truth. That has always been the end result of adopting those so societal controls.

in American we have long history of defending a speech we personally find offensive because most of us understand that if all speech isn’t defended no speech is safe. The majority of people in the west used to understand this concept. I assume the younger crowd is far enough removed from the Second World War and Cold War to understand how bad things were. I suppose it’s one of those , if one is ignorant of history they are bound to repeat it.
My country’s founders speech was repressed by the crown and they made sure that would never happen to future generations by placing a free speech safe guard in our founding document, the Constitution.

I’m not trying to beat you up my friend, I’m just concerned by this thought process. History show us were this leads.

I get what you are saying but Britain has never really had free speech so for us it's no different. Would it be better if we did? Well there are pros and cons which I wouldn't like to get into here because this is a boxing sub forum and we could go on ad finitum about the rights and wrongs.

But just taking the Colin Kaepernick example, he has not been able to work since he used his right to free speech. That is not the USA saying he can't express those views but neither does the BBBoC represent the UK government. I don't know how the BBBoC are funded but they aren't a branch of government. They are one organisation that have decided that BJS shouldn't be licensed from them to box because he has made comments that go against the image they are trying to portray. And are we really saying that a guy that jokes about wife beating deserves to work more than a guy who is sticking up for civil rights?

I get what you are saying but Britain has never really had free speech so for us it's no different. Would it be better if we did? Well there are pros and cons which I wouldn't like to get into here because this is a boxing sub forum and we could go on ad finitum about the rights and wrongs.

But just taking the Colin Kaepernick example, he has not been able to work since he used his right to free speech. That is not the USA saying he can't express those views but neither does the BBBoC represent the UK government. I don't know how the BBBoC are funded but they aren't a branch of government. They are one organisation that have decided that BJS shouldn't be licensed from them to box because he has made comments that go against the image they are trying to portray. And are we really saying that a guy that jokes about wife beating deserves to work more than a guy who is sticking up for civil rights?

Fair enough, I would argue freedom should always be welcomed. Times change quickly my friend. One can overnight go from being in the majority to being in a minority. The rights of all, no matter their place should be closely guarded.

hum... the league never said Kaepernick couldn’t play. I’m not sure where you got that information. Those are two situations are vastly different.

Could Saunders fight here in the states? I asked earlier and somehow the question was lost in the shuffle.

edit.. the whole idea of who is worthy to work is disconcerting. Do I get to be the judge? Do you ? That is a slippery slope.

edit # 2. I appreciate the tone of our conversation. People can disagree or hash thing out without being nasty to each other

Last edited:
Fair enough, I would argue freedom should always be welcomed. Times change quickly my friend. One can overnight go from being in the majority to being in a minority. The rights of all, no matter their place should be closely guarded.

hum... the league never said Kaepernick couldn’t play. I’m not sure where you got that information. Those are two situations are vastly different.

Could Saunders fight here in the states? I asked earlier and somehow the question was lost in the shuffle.

edit.. the whole idea of who is worthy to work is disconcerting. Do I get to be the judge? Do you ? That is a slippery slope.

edit # 2. I appreciate the ton of our conversation. People can disagree or hash thing out without being nasty to each other
No I never said the league said that Kaepernick couldn't work but no team will take him on so he's effectively been blackballed. And that's why he launched legal proceedings. I don't know enough about the NFL to say why he can't get a job but it does seem strange that he can't get employment with any of the teams after his rather public demonstrations.

As for Saunders, I don't know how the BBBoC works. I'd assume they'd have to license him before he could fight anywhere else.

I don't think the situations are that different. Both have expressed unpopular opinions and both have been stopped from working in the sports they compete in. The organisations are different sure but the mechanism is pretty much the same. The only difference is Kaepernick was campaigning for civil rights while BJS wanted to joke about beating his wife. Both of them have had sanctions imposed on them that prevent them from working. But (and correct me if I'm wrong) you think one is acceptable and the other is not?

And boxing organisations have always made moral judgements. I remember being refused permission to box because I had some stubble by a doctor. So I had to drive to a shop and buy some razors to have a shave! Did I gain some advantage by not shaving? No it was just some stupid rule that amateur boxers had to be clean shaven. Different groups make up their own stupid rules.

Last edited:
You asked about Kaeps freedom of speech here and I answered.
In this discussion we are making a direct comparison between BJS and Kaepernick. Neither has been locked up. BJS can make all the wife-beating videos he wants.

In this discussion we are making a direct comparison between BJS and Kaepernick. Neither has been locked up. BJS can make all the wife-beating videos he wants.
I get that. But having the freedom to do it doesnt mean there arent repercussions, and having repercussions doesnt mean you lost your freedom.

Back