News Bo Nikal to return Sept 27th on CONTENDER SERIES;Manager tells fans to chill

I'm a huge fan of NICKAL, followed his entire college career and I hope he becomes a monster in MMA...However, for once I agree with Dana not signing him. I'd like to see him in a bit of a stand up war and see how well he takes a punch and is able to throw back as well before he is signed. Now Brock couldn't take a punch for shit (had a good chin but you could tell he hated getting hit in the face) however sitll did very well for himself...That being said I'd love to see Bo concentrate 75% of his time on muay thai and 25% on bjj and I think he will go far.

Experience is key. No need to rush the process. We know what he can do well. He needs to find a fighter who can force him to try some wrong.

Depends who his opponent is as far as "experience" goes. Another nobody where Bo will be a -2000 favorite doesn't really do anything for "experience"

I'm gonna predict his opponent will be Donovan Beard.

Depends who his opponent is as far as "experience" goes. Another nobody where Bo will be a -2000 favorite doesn't really do anything for "experience"
He needs a fighter with great takedown/submission defense who can scramble with average striking for a solid test. Anything like his last fight doesn't do much for experience and doesn't really do anything to really test him. He has big stage experience already, he needs to be tested in what he isn't great at and how he handles adversity in mma.

it'll be hilarious if he gets another quick win and Dana goes '... sorry I couldn't tell anything from that, you're gonna have to come back just one more time', to troll everyone.
1476205018253.gif

He needs a fighter with great takedown/submission defense who can scramble with average striking for a solid test. Anything like his last fight doesn't do much for experience and doesn't really do anything to really test him. He has big stage experience already, he needs to be tested in what he isn't great at and how he handles adversity in mma.

Know any regional guys that fit the bill???

Experience is key. No need to rush the process. We know what he can do well. He needs to find a fighter who can force him to try some wrong.

I mean I actually agree. My only real complaint is that if "experience" is what they're after then Contender Series is the wrong vehicle for that, IMO. One more bout against what will likely be another handpicked opponent with a few more fights under his belt won't do meaningfully more for Bo or answer many more questions than Borrego did. Every little bit of cage time helps, but DWCS just fundamentally is not a good tool for developing novice fighters. It was never meant to do that despite being shoehorned into that role.

If his management was going this route they should have tried to get him a contract as an LFA Middleweight (which would've no doubt been a breeze). He could have potentially gone 3-0 there or whatever, gotten tested against a variety of different fighters with varying experience levels who would give him different "looks", earn a nice shiny belt, and then come to DWCS as an undefeated minor leagues champion on top of his wrestling credentials. Win the Contender Series bout and enter UFC at a nice round 5-0 pro record with all those accolades and you have a very good-looking prospect to show off to the masses IMO.

Potentially a hot take and I said this in another thread, but I think even some hypothetical Season 31 of TUF as much of a shit-show as it is would have been a better tool for developing a fighter like Bo than DWCS -- especially if he got quality coaching on the show from a fellow ATT guy or something.

I mean I actually agree. My only real complaint is that if "experience" is what they're after then Contender Series is the wrong vehicle for that, IMO. One more bout against what will likely be another handpicked opponent with a few more fights under his belt won't do meaningfully more for Bo or answer many more questions than Borrego did. Every little bit of cage time helps, but DWCS just fundamentally is not a good tool for developing novice fighters. It was never meant to do that despite being shoehorned into that role.

If his management was going this route they should have tried to get him a contract as an LFA Middleweight (which would've no doubt been a breeze). He could have potentially gone 3-0 there or whatever, gotten tested against a variety of different fighters with varying experience levels who would give him different "looks", earn a nice shiny belt, and then come to DWCS as an undefeated minor leagues champion on top of his wrestling credentials. Win the Contender Series bout and enter UFC at a nice round 5-0 pro record with all those accolades and you have a very good-looking prospect to show off to the masses IMO.

Potentially a hot take and I said this in another thread, but I think even some hypothetical Season 31 of TUF as much of a shit-show as it is would have been a better tool for developing a fighter like Bo than DWCS -- especially if he got quality coaching on the show from a fellow ATT guy or something.

I agree with LFA contract. I even stated that in the PBP for that Contender Series event, but I'm also aware they need ratings and only hardcore fans are tuning into DWCS episodes, and he knows we know about Bo. It's smart if unnecessary.

I think the only issue with TUF is the housing environment and weight cuts in quick succession which could really hurt a younger fighter and derail someone.

Normally I would agree with this but the ufc is so watered down you might as well get bigger paychecks. Plenty of comp for him in the ufc that will get him experience and better experience considering the venue sizes and the attention. Chess has ratings and the reality is he could find his ratings within the ufc. Now, having said that, I’m guessing the fans might be a little more critical and the screams for tougher comp will be quicker.

Honestly he should probably get another few fights before getting into the UFC. Lack of experience may end up biting him in the butt. Work your way up by fighting tougher and tougher opponents.

Maybe he’s being used as a “contender series star”

fans of the show will tell their casual friends, “you gotta see this guy!”
In 10 years, UFC fighters will beg to fight on DWCS but only the very best will be selected.

Back