Boar/Pig/Hog hunting calibers

Yes the impact and the hog(s) squealing will spook the hogs but from the subsonic thermal videos I've watched they also settle down faster and may lead to more opportunities.

With those discreet selous rounds you will 100% kill hogs and it will definitely perform better than any subsonic pistol round. Trajectory is going to be what it is but if you have a reticle with enough subtensions you can get some great holds and that discreet round will kill at distance. That 761 fps impact velocity was improvised for 500 ish yards. They say it will kill at that range if you can account for drop and drift.

Do you have a spare AR or upper? Do you have a pistol braced lower or sbr?

You could always just swap a barrel to 300 blk.

With 300 blk you can use subs or supers.

110 tac tx is king of 300 blk supers, they will expand at 300+ yards.

vVgH3gjvi3qgg_Jn4uFll4tEAEWJAt-1HbLZW8WOaRPHXvx18c-LOiBzQ82XuDN_yKtXvVqi_xmCa1uzBXTfvsEbbNeyeuX312UUy--JctraAqXGnTGt1SxTD5oe

attachment.php

300-Blk-110gr-gel_1400.jpg

My 300 blk with Nomad L and subs sounds damn good. Very comfortable to shoot without ear pro.

KGARLqB.jpg

I'm not a fan of blackout. It strikes me as a drummed up way to spend more money on something that isn't necessary. Yes I'm cheap.

If that goon doesn't give me a great deal on the 308 bolt gun I'll just keep whacking'em with the 223.

I got plenty of 77 grn matchkings already loaded.

Right now I want to whack one of them with my 30'06 and the 175grn matchkings.

last time out I shot one with a 155grn Palma. I reckoned 3100fps would help it do something, but it zipped right through this big ass hog and the thing ran off. no blood nothing. I could see the impact through the sope and watched the dust explode off the hog and everything. it was underwhelming after seeing them drop with the 223.

I'm not a fan of blackout. It strikes me as a drummed up way to spend more money on something that isn't necessary. Yes I'm cheap.

If that goon doesn't give me a great deal on the 308 bolt gun I'll just keep whacking'em with the 223.

I got plenty of 77 grn matchkings already loaded.

Right now I want to whack one of them with my 30'06 and the 175grn matchkings.

last time out I shot one with a 155grn Palma. I reckoned 3100fps would help it do something, but it zipped right through this big ass hog and the thing ran off. no blood nothing. I could see the impact through the sope and watched the dust explode off the hog and everything. it was underwhelming after seeing them drop with the 223.

Only reason I suggested the 300 blk was because if you had a spare upper you could swap a barrel, get mags for subs and you'd be into it about $400 with some bullets. You would probably have to buy stuff to resize your .223 brass but handloading 300 blk is pretty cost effective.

Match rounds that aren't tipped can do some goofy things in animals. If the tip deforms without fragmenting it's just going to pencil, if you're lucky it will tumble and do damage.

Only reason I suggested the 300 blk was because if you had a spare upper you could swap a barrel, get mags for subs and you'd be into it about $400 with some bullets. You would probably have to buy stuff to resize your .223 brass but handloading 300 blk is pretty cost effective.

Match rounds that aren't tipped can do some goofy things in animals. If the tip deforms without fragmenting it's just going to pencil, if you're lucky it will tumble and do damage.

Well, the ol goon decided he doesn't want to sell now, which is great. I didn't need to blow loot on more shit to cram in my safe.

Will try and shoot better this weekend.

Went out tonight, sat in the tree for 3 hours, fucking massive pig came along but turned right and went into the creek (Might have smelt us having a ciggy) saw the camera light up its IR lights at the feed, spot. Shot a piglet. My mate took the shot, and was basically hang onto the tree by his legs, piglet got lit up by the spotlight and he fired about 2.5 seconds later sadly it wasn't a clean shot, slug severed its spine but it crawled off, he got out of the tree 10 seconds later and quickly found it and dispatched it while berating himself for not getting a cleaner hit. I have the camera footage if anyone is into that kind of thing PM me if you want me to send it though. I'm not a trophy hunter so I don't take any photos with them or things like that (especially not a piglet).
We shot the piglet because they are invasive to the area, damaging crops, hurting livestock and attacking people. A piglet grows up to be a pig. We don't take any pleasure from killing the poor creatures hence why we were not happy it wasn't a quick and painless death..

What cal do you guys use for pig/boar/hog hunting. I've been going out more often to my parents farm because they now have a huge wild pig problem. Over the last 10 years the population has exploded to the point my mother doesn't wanna go into overgrown paddocks because of the aggressive boars (She's a 70 year old woman I don't blame her).
So my buddy and I have gone out the past weekend and intend to go out every weekend for the next few months. Last weekend we got 12 pigs, A day later a hunter with a gate trap? Pen trap? not sure what you'd call it got 30. This seems to be quite common and it doesn't seem to be denting their population. We don't really have laws about what caliber you can hunt with here in Australia so currently we've been using
.223, a 12 gauge with slugs and a .410 slug to put them down if they're still alive when we get to them.
We have thought about using a .308 but we wonder if that's overkill. We usually get them with a single shot with the .223 but occasionally it'll pass right through and whoever is manning the 12g has to make a 2nd shot quick smart.

My question is, should we drop the 12g and the .410 entirely and go with a 2nd larger calibre rifle or possibly go to a .44magnum or 30-30 lever action?

12 gauge we're using is an Adler Straight Pull shotgun, we mostly brought that in case we ran into a pig up close and had to put it down before it charged us.

The land we're hunting on is very dense scrub with a large dry creek that runs through the entirety, we are usually shooting on a downward angle into the creek. The reason not to use the .308 is more to do with noise levels (And the very low chance of a shot escaping the scrub or ricocheting into a neighboring property) and wanting to keep it quieter for the people who live in the area.

Range of most shots we make are between 50 yards and 300 yards

I have a 450 Bushmaster AR that I'll be using as my primary pig gun these days . . .

I have a 450 Bushmaster AR that I'll be using as my primary pig gun these days . . .
No AR's here, closest we can get to that kind of action is a straight pull shotgun or a bolt action rifle with 10 rounds.

I need something heavier than my glock to cull. This is what I recovered from the head of my first one. Bullet is to the right of my cleaver

125015.jpeg

Went out this evening. Didn't see shit but a load of raccoons. Not a shot fired, smh.
Yeah the lads went out yesterday while I was at work, Saw fuck all except kangaroos.
We were supposed to be going out sunday at 3am. To set up for their dawn feed but we just had a snap lockdown announced for 3 days
<2>

What cal do you guys use for pig/boar/hog hunting. I've been going out more often to my parents farm because they now have a huge wild pig problem. Over the last 10 years the population has exploded to the point my mother doesn't wanna go into overgrown paddocks because of the aggressive boars (She's a 70 year old woman I don't blame her).
So my buddy and I have gone out the past weekend and intend to go out every weekend for the next few months. Last weekend we got 12 pigs, A day later a hunter with a gate trap? Pen trap? not sure what you'd call it got 30. This seems to be quite common and it doesn't seem to be denting their population. We don't really have laws about what caliber you can hunt with here in Australia so currently we've been using
.223, a 12 gauge with slugs and a .410 slug to put them down if they're still alive when we get to them.
We have thought about using a .308 but we wonder if that's overkill. We usually get them with a single shot with the .223 but occasionally it'll pass right through and whoever is manning the 12g has to make a 2nd shot quick smart.

My question is, should we drop the 12g and the .410 entirely and go with a 2nd larger calibre rifle or possibly go to a .44magnum or 30-30 lever action?

12 gauge we're using is an Adler Straight Pull shotgun, we mostly brought that in case we ran into a pig up close and had to put it down before it charged us.

The land we're hunting on is very dense scrub with a large dry creek that runs through the entirety, we are usually shooting on a downward angle into the creek. The reason not to use the .308 is more to do with noise levels (And the very low chance of a shot escaping the scrub or ricocheting into a neighboring property) and wanting to keep it quieter for the people who live in the area.

Range of most shots we make are between 50 yards and 300 yards
I'll shoot them with nearly anything I have at hand.

If Im shooting from a moving vehicle I'll use a 12g lever with 00sg or sg, somethime I'll us a lever .410 with slugs

If shooting with NV I use .223 with 65gr progy

If shooting in open paddocks I use a 308 with 150gr progy

357 as a srub gun.

22 wmr 40gr fmj will do the trick up close, you can get a cz 515 lever release with a 15 shot mag. Put a green laser on and spray away

I think the ones that were passing through were FMJ.
It's his .223, so we've been using what ammo he had laying around for it as we only got asked to start coming out there 2 weeks ago. We might pick up some different ammo for it tomorrow.
I've only taken 1 shot with the .223 so far so I can't say what ammo we've been using. I know we're using rifled slugs in the 12 gauge though.
I'm not entirely sure if soft rounds or hollow points would be better. When it comes to the .223. But I will assume they would be more humane than an FMJ
The Hornady tap 60gr work a treat

Overkill? Yes but if your going to cull the population, I prefer it more
Its to much, you want to hit as many as you can, so something a little milder recoiling is needed.

At the range hes shooting a 300blk out or 30-30 would be perfect, even a 357 would be more than capable

If you were interested in trying some baiting, something like this is a popular mix. Put it in burlap bags and hang them from trees and throw some on the ground.

• Whole Shelled Corn, 40 lb bag
  • Molasses, 12 oz
  • Sugar, 3 lb
  • Apple Juice, 0.5L
  • Anise Oil, 4 oz
  • 5 Gallon Bucket

Damn that's quite the headset.
Thats a hell of a mix we just use fermented lupins

Thats a hell of a mix we just use fermented lupins

So this mix allows a very strong scent to travel quickly. A friend from Texas came across this online and said it seems to attract more hogs and more quickly than other mixes or feed they've tried.

The idea with it being thick, sugary and in seeping through burlap is you aren't actually trying to feed them, just get their attention. And with it being elevated the scent travels better and more quickly.

I'm gunna pick up a Mossberg 464 to give me a little more range and accuracy than the smoothbore 12g. In summer I'll probably pick up a .223 or something.

I'm gunna pick up a Mossberg 464 to give me a little more range and accuracy than the smoothbore 12g. In summer I'll probably pick up a .223 or something.

Is there a website for a big sporting goods/firearm store around that shows inventory?

I'm curious what options for stuff you have.

Is there a website for a big sporting goods/firearm store around that shows inventory?

I'm curious what options for stuff you have.
Without doxxing myself I'll send you a PM hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back