Boar/Pig/Hog hunting calibers

In game of thrones the dragons eventually became the size of cats after being locked up and diminished.

Same thing is happening with the domestic dogs. Most sit in the house all day with no purpose in life….. yes it is risky but the actual casualty number in dogs is pretty low slim to none. But at least it gives them a purpose and a chance to improve their qualities and species as a whole.
Yeah it's not slim at all, I know of 6 dogs that were killed pigging in the last year in my local area. I use guns bud, I'm not gunna use dogs.

Got 3 pigs on sunday. Two piglets and one rather large one that we hit on the run who then flipped down a ravine into the creek which made recovery impossible at night.
The .44 magnum did horrific damage to the piglets, I've never seen anything like it. 240gr Federal premium hollow point was disgusting, we're fairly certain the 2nd piglet died from the shrapnel of the first piglets hip going through it like a shotgun.
I won't post the pictures of what the .44 magnum did but if you are some kind of lunatic feel free to PM me and I'll show you
<{hfved}>

Ones here are currently tearing up lettuce and beetroot crops. The local hunters are dropping so many I think they've given up even trying to butcher them. It's an agricultural nightmare here to the point that when I'm dropping them I'm either burying them with the backhoe or just dragging them to a meat ants next to let them deal with it.
90% of the pigs we shoot get left where they fall, if there in good Nick we'll take the back legs and that's about it.

Yeah it's not slim at all, I know of 6 dogs that were killed pigging in the last year in my local area. I use guns bud, I'm not gunna use dogs.
all the guys around have given up using luggers and just run bay dogs for the exact same reason.

UOTE="Woldog, post: 169177059, member: 526611"]I wasn't sure about how much clearance I'd have with the 56mm Low Light scope, and I probably could have gone lower than the 1.3inch height rings. But eye lines up fine. It's only a .223 so I'm not worried about the cheek weld so much.
View attachment 942144[/QUOTE]
Howa make good guns, also it should have a 1-9 barrel giving you the opportunity to run heavy pills. I hit this fella on the run at about 100 or so meters using 55 GRN VMAX, first shot was in the gut needed another to put him downimage000000_07.jpg

UOTE="Woldog, post: 169177059, member: 526611"]I wasn't sure about how much clearance I'd have with the 56mm Low Light scope, and I probably could have gone lower than the 1.3inch height rings. But eye lines up fine. It's only a .223 so I'm not worried about the cheek weld so much.
View attachment 942144
Howa make good guns, also it should have a 1-9 barrel giving you the opportunity to run heavy pills. I hit this fella on the run at about 100 or so meters using 55 GRN VMAX, first shot was in the gut needed another to put him downView attachment 947716[/QUOTE]
That's a decent sized pig for a .223 to drop. So far I haven't bothered taking the Howa out. It's too overgrown to bother with it right now. Been running the .44 magnum at night thanks to its MLOK torch and I'll start running the Marlin 30-30 during the day. I've been looking at the Bushmeister lever release shotguns lately, I might ditch the old double barrel for either one of them or a straight pull of some type.
The Stainless Steel fluted barrel Howa's look great but I do wonder why the Hogue stocks have such a huge recoil pad for a .223 lmao.

Howa make good guns, also it should have a 1-9 barrel giving you the opportunity to run heavy pills. I hit this fella on the run at about 100 or so meters using 55 GRN VMAX, first shot was in the gut needed another to put him downView attachment 947716
That's a decent sized pig for a .223 to drop. So far I haven't bothered taking the Howa out. It's too overgrown to bother with it right now. Been running the .44 magnum at night thanks to its MLOK torch and I'll start running the Marlin 30-30 during the day. I've been looking at the Bushmeister lever release shotguns lately, I might ditch the old double barrel for either one of them or a straight pull of some type.
The Stainless Steel fluted barrel Howa's look great but I do wonder why the Hogue stocks have such a huge recoil pad for a .223 lmao.[/QUOTE]
I'd put off getting a lever release as there looking to introduce a button release fairly soon, there's 2 different models 1 with a button on the tang and another with the button down near the foreend of the stock, they'll be quicker to cycle than a pumpy. Also the Hogue stocks have such a large recoil pad as it's a one size fits all on the short actions, so it's the same stock all the way up to a .308.

I'd also put the 10 shot magazine conversion on your Howa, it's always handy to have a few extra shots available.

The Stainless Steel fluted barrel Howa's look great but I do wonder why the Hogue stocks have such a huge recoil pad for a .223 lmao.
I'd put off getting a lever release as there looking to introduce a button release fairly soon, there's 2 different models 1 with a button on the tang and another with the button down near the foreend of the stock, they'll be quicker to cycle than a pumpy. Also the Hogue stocks have such a large recoil pad as it's a one size fits all on the short actions, so it's the same stock all the way up to a .308.

I'd also put the 10 shot magazine conversion on your Howa, it's always handy to have a few extra shots available.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I kind of like the internal magazine, but I can definitely see why the magazines are more convenient. I generally go out with two guns regardless, Lately we just park the Land Cruiser in the middle of the field and wait. It's usually night time that we hunt lately, so we just sit on the back of the cruiser and look around with the thermal. We do have a .223 with a NV scope on it but we've had more success just lighting them up and blasting them with the 30-30's and the 44 mag.

/QUOTE]
I dunno, I kind of like the internal magazine, but I can definitely see why the magazines are more convenient. I generally go out with two guns regardless, Lately we just park the Land Cruiser in the middle of the field and wait. It's usually night time that we hunt lately, so we just sit on the back of the cruiser and look around with the thermal. We do have a .223 with a NV scope on it but we've had more success just lighting them up and blasting them with the 30-30's and the 44 mag.[/QUOTE]
With thermal and NV don't be scared to walk up on them and get as close as possible as long as the winds in your face you should be able to get within 30 meters or so without spooking them, it gives you the opportunity to shoot multiple pigs as they scatter.

Poachers are getting around with pigging dogs are becoming a bit of an issue.

@Big Tuppy Hole The lever release Bushmeister has really caught my eye right now. I know the button release ones are coming but honestly I think if anything will be banned it would be the button release ones. They sound too much like having fun and the government hates fun.
If they made the Bushmeister in a straightpull honestly I'd get that. I just love how it looks and just discovered it's just a straight up copy of a Benelli M2.

@Big Tuppy Hole The lever release Bushmeister has really caught my eye right now. I know the button release ones are coming but honestly I think if anything will be banned it would be the button release ones. They sound too much like having fun and the government hates fun.
If they made the Bushmeister in a straightpull honestly I'd get that. I just love how it looks and just discovered it's just a straight up copy of a Benelli M2.
There nice guns, but there's whispers they might be in some legal trouble with the design as it very similar to the Verny Carron.

Or go full wanker at get one of thesedownload (3).jpeg

It would but it would cost you close to $3.30 per round. Compared to the average $1 per round for the common calibers we use aka .44 mag, .223, .308, 30-30
You can find 300blk for around $2 a rnd and over here your lucky to get .223 ammo for the same price.
A Howa mini action with a 16 inch barrel would be a good and cheap set up

Back