"BOB Dummy" usfeul?

gauta

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone use this guy? I can't hang anything up in my place, so does this make a good bag substitute?

Century_Sparring_BOB_101693.jpg

Well, I've seen Shogun and Lyoto use one, so take that for what it's worth. I don't know if it would benefit you the same as a heavy bag would, tho. They seem to be designed for different uses if you look beyond the whole 'beating the fuck out of something' aspect.

Personally, I would look into a free-standing bag if I were in your situation, or if you've got the space, opt for a heavy bag stand.

Last edited:
I like bob for practicing my accuracy heavy bags are better for conditioning and power unless you fill the base with a lot of sand it's pretty wobbly

I like bob for practicing my accuracy, [but] heavy bags are better for conditioning and power.

Unless you fill the [BOB's] base with a lot of sand, it's pretty wobbly.

+1 (Sorry, I had to edit and punctuate... it's my thing.)

I used a BOB once when I was on vacation and visited a local gym. It really forced me to concentrate on accuracy -- at first I kept whiffing when attempting left hooks (my best punch, lol) to the chin. It was embarrassing.

+1 (Sorry, I had to edit and punctuate... it's my thing.)

I used a BOB once when I was on vacation and visited a local gym. It really forced me to concentrate on accuracy -- at first I kept whiffing when attempting left hooks (my best punch, lol) to the chin. It was embarrassing.

That is why they are good, people are not shaped like a heavy bag... however one of the wavemaster heavy bags would probly be best, I think they are made by the same people.

When I was first learning Muay Thai and trying to increased the accuracy and power of my kicks, I loved working with the BOB.

The BOB is much more forgiving on your shins than a heavy bag is, too.

The only problem I noticed is that, after a while, once the strength of your kicks is up, it's not really that hard to topple them over. (Mind you, I was working with a pretty old one at the time.)

We have a couple of these guys in my gym. People have mentioned their weaknesses, but I think it's the only free-standing "heavy bag" worth having, even if you have more traditional hanging heavy bags around.

Back