Bold Prediction: Kamaru Usman beats Tyron Woodley

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
There does not seem to be much excitement for this fight because most think it is a walk in the park for Woodley. That is far from the case.

Woodley (who is now 36 years old) has shown in previous fights a tendency to slow down significantly in later rounds. While Usman might not be the better wrestler, their wrestling will likely cancel eachother out and I think in a 5 round fight that Woodley will start to slow down significantly.

Usman just needs to keep the pressure and grapple as much as he can with Woodley. Woodley's massive arms will become slower and slower. His body will not be able to deliver oxygen to his muscles in the later rounds. Usman will then be able to pick him apart.

Don't let Woodley's (admittedly impressive) streak of highlight reel knockdowns and knockouts blind you. What will Woodley do if he can't get a KO and the pressure is on him for 3-4 rounds? He will gas. Usman is not an idiot... he isn't going to exchange fire with Woodley.

Have not seen the odds, I expect them to favor Woodley heavily. I would put some chump change on Usman.

Woodley is at -155 right now. Seems like money to me. Tyron has become a polished fighter. I think he smokes Usman.

Don't let Woodley's (admittedly impressive) streak of highlight reel knockdowns and knockouts blind you.

Impressive streak of knockouts? Did I fall asleep for a few years? Is it 2021 and Woodley just went on a tear knocking fools out?

Impressive streak of knockouts? Did I fall asleep for a few years? Is it 2021 and Woodley just went on a tear knocking fools out?

He has knocked around Lawler, Stephen Thompson, Darren Till pretty silly?

I said knockdowns.

My point is Usman will be game and can hang, and I think his cardio holds up better.

I think so too. That said, I thought Till would beat him as well.

He has knocked around Lawler, Stephen Thompson, Darren Till pretty silly?

I said knockdowns.

My point is Usman will be game and can hang, and I think his cardio holds up better.

All good lol. I was just making fun of the knockouts part.

I think Usman has a good shot at beating Woodley, but he has to play it smart. Grapplefuck him. The strategy that GSP used against BJ Penn in their 2nd fight would work here. Push Woodley up against the cage and tire his shoulders out so that Woodley doesn't have the power left in his strikes.

The only way this fight is exciting though, is if Woodley makes it exciting. And considering his penchant for avoiding that in the past, I'm not holding out much hope.

HorribleCompassionateIndianrhinoceros-max-1mb.gif

Stunned by a step in left hand from Maia, if you replace that with a Woodley overhand things could go south

I think Woodley will put Usman out here.

And not one mention of Woodley's fight IQ, Usman is no cardio machine himself and tends to get real sloppy as he gets real tired and relies on being just stronger than you to get through. Woodley takes all that away just as strong, better mma wrestling, more versatile with fight style and just smarter through 5rds.....

Woodley is at -155 right now. Seems like money to me. Tyron has become a polished fighter. I think he smokes Usman.
There does not seem to be much excitement for this fight because most think it is a walk in the park for Woodley. That is far from the case.

Woodley (who is now 36 years old) has shown in previous fights a tendency to slow down significantly in later rounds. While Usman might not be the better wrestler, their wrestling will likely cancel eachother out and I think in a 5 round fight that Woodley will start to slow down significantly.

Usman just needs to keep the pressure and grapple as much as he can with Woodley. Woodley's massive arms will become slower and slower. His body will not be able to deliver oxygen to his muscles in the later rounds. Usman will then be able to pick him apart.

Don't let Woodley's (admittedly impressive) streak of highlight reel knockdowns and knockouts blind you. What will Woodley do if he can't get a KO and the pressure is on him for 3-4 rounds? He will gas. Usman is not an idiot... he isn't going to exchange fire with Woodley.

Have not seen the odds, I expect them to favor Woodley heavily. I would put some chump change on Usman.

Crazy talk. Usman stays close and Woodley, being both stronger and more explosive, shucks him off and sits him on his ass in record time. You forget his speed, power and explosiveness.

Usman tries to stay at distance and either nothing happens or Woodley closes distance and comes to sit him down on his ass.

Every man TW has fought has had to sit on their ass. Usman wll be no different except that he's not as seasoned a striker as most of them and will sit down sooner.

You saw it in the press conference. Usman boasted how he'd win, TW told him "you don't even believe that" and Usman's response is to laugh like he was caught red handed and say "But you do!"

I mean, Usman himself doesn't believe what you do. And TW is right, he can outwrestle him, outgrapple him or outstrike him. Same as he can do with Colby.

TW is just a lot more dominant than some fans have yet come to terms with.

And not one mention of Woodley's fight IQ, Usman is no cardio machine himself and tends to get real sloppy as he gets real tired and relies on being just stronger than you to get through. Woodley takes all that away just as strong, better mma wrestling, more versatile with fight style and just smarter through 5rds.....
Yup, the IQ is probably second only to Jones, in that octagon.

And he's strongER than Usman too. And a LOT less sloppy. For the first 2 rounds, I don't know how Usman survives. He's not fast enough, crafty enough or possessing good enough footwork to keep TW off him. We just saw what TW did to Till when he came forward. With a fighter as unskilled as Usman is standing, why the fk would he not do the exact same to him??

Ppl are getting a bit crazy with this...

So you think he will win by clinch or wall & stall early, tire him out, last longer, and win 3 or 4 rounds by doing slightly more, but keeping far enough away that he doesn't get KTFO'd by Woodley's very fast, very heavy hands?

I don't think he will. But that approach may in fact be his best chance. Not sure if he can hold Woodley long though, or even get inside on him enough.

EDIT: ya, the more I think about it, what you're really saying is that Usman will win the range game. I disagree.

There isn't much excitement over the fight because Woodley should be fighting Covington and Usman Woodley is going to be boring as fuck...

I like high level wrestling and grappling but Woodley doesn't do that. He uses his wrestling to negate takedowns and throws 5-6 punches per round. It's going to look a lot like Woodley Maia

Well I'd say that his best chance of winning is by decision because that's how he wins almost all his fights these days. But I don't really see this fight going to decision.

Woodley allows fights to draw out because he's looking out for his opponent's strengths. Wouldn't go for the kill against Wonderboy because he knew that WB has the power to annihilate him. Wouldn't get in there with Maia because Maia's the backpack.

Usman doesn't have anything he needs to watch out for. So I don't see Woodley really being too worried, and if he's not worried he's going to just go in there and clobber him.

All good lol. I was just making fun of the knockouts part.

I think Usman has a good shot at beating Woodley, but he has to play it smart. Grapplefuck him. The strategy that GSP used against BJ Penn in their 2nd fight would work here. Push Woodley up against the cage and tire his shoulders out so that Woodley doesn't have the power left in his strikes.

The only way this fight is exciting though, is if Woodley makes it exciting. And considering his penchant for avoiding that in the past, I'm not holding out much hope.

I think you meant the 1st fight with BJ, where BJ faded after the first.

The second fight was more of a: 'take BJ down and beat him mercilessly until he quits' type of affair.

Usman cant wrestle Tyron to win.

Back