Bought My First Shotgun

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Decided it was time. Went looking for a 870 or 590 but they were gone but got a good deal on a barely used FN.

WMXV5rE.jpg

Gonna put some time on it tomorrow morning and seehow she does. Amy recommendations on a sight for it.25yrdd

Is this a panic buy?

Is this a panic buy?

Yes and no. I have other pistols and rifles but no shotguns and been wanting to add one for a while and now seem good as any.

Great buy especially when black friday sales roll around and you wanna get to the front of the line.

Decided it was time. Went looking for a 870 or 590 but they were gone but got a good deal on a barely used FN.

WMXV5rE.jpg

Gonna put some time on it tomorrow morning and seehow she does. Amy recommendations on a sight for it.25yrdd

Are you asking for ammo recommendations or ?

Get some #8 bird shot and some skeets.

You can thank me later.

What is your budget?

Any intended purpose for it? You interested in any magnification?

100$ seem fine.

Home defense for now but maybe small game later.

Not sure about needing magnifying

100$ seem fine.

Home defense for now but maybe small game later.

Not sure about needing magnifying

Alright I'm going to give you an option over your budget first, just because I like the reticle and it works very well for a shotgun out to 25 yards.

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-paralow-hs503g-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle

I've bolded the important part for shotgun use.

HOLOSUN HS503G ACSS CQB

media.nl

Primary Arms and Holosun have collaborated to create one of the world’s smartest red dot sights, the HS503G ACSS CQB. Looking through the Holosun for the first time feels like playing a video game, but nothing here is for show. Every element provides you with more information than you can get with an ordinary red dot.

The first thing you’ll notice is a large horseshoe (A) calibrated to approximate an average shotgun pattern at 25 yards. The ACSS horseshoe grabs the eye instantly for unbeatable sight acquisition in closequarters. Up close, roughly center it over your target and fire immediately.

Mounted on a shotgun, the horseshoe allows you to devastate rows of stationary clay targets or steel plate racks at ranges out to 25 yards. You can select whether the horseshoe appears in the reticle or not by pressing and holding the (-) brightness button on top of the HS503G.

For precision shots with a rifle, the center aiming point is a chevron instead of a dot.

Rest of the reticle info

(B). The chevron is larger than a normal red dot, so your eye finds it more quickly. It is also more accurate, because the tip forms an infinitely small aiming point that never obscures the exact part of the target you want to hit.

What sets the ACSS CQB reticle apart from the traditional red dot is that it provides the shooter with the ability to accurately engage targets out to 600 yards. The chevron itself has bullet drop compensation (BDC) incorporated into the design. When the tip of the chevron is zeroed at 100 yards on a 5.56 NATO AR-15, the bottom legs provide a BDC marking for 300 yards.

Below the chevron are three 1 MOA BDC dots (C) calibrated to 400, 500, and 600 yards. In a 9mm pistol caliber carbine, the BDC marks extend your capability to 200 yards.

The ACSS CQB advantage gets even bigger when a 3x or 6x magnifier is mounted behind the Holosun HS503G. Running a magnifier behind a traditional 3 MOA red dot at longer distances becomes less precise as the magnified dot begins to obscure smaller targets.

The aiming point of the ACSS CQB is above the tip of the chevron, the 100-yard target is not obscured. The 1 MOA BDC dots are significantly smaller than a standard red dot increasing accuracy at all distances.

As far as red dots sig romeo 5, primary arms SLx microdot, bushnell trs25 are around $70-130. Bushnell being cheapest.

Tbh I'm not very familiar with sights in the price range.

Alright I'm going to give you an option over your budget first, just because I like the reticle and it works very well for a shotgun out to 25 yards.

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-paralow-hs503g-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle

I've bolded the important part for shotgun use.

HOLOSUN HS503G ACSS CQB

media.nl

Primary Arms and Holosun have collaborated to create one of the world’s smartest red dot sights, the HS503G ACSS CQB. Looking through the Holosun for the first time feels like playing a video game, but nothing here is for show. Every element provides you with more information than you can get with an ordinary red dot.

The first thing you’ll notice is a large horseshoe (A) calibrated to approximate an average shotgun pattern at 25 yards. The ACSS horseshoe grabs the eye instantly for unbeatable sight acquisition in closequarters. Up close, roughly center it over your target and fire immediately.

Mounted on a shotgun, the horseshoe allows you to devastate rows of stationary clay targets or steel plate racks at ranges out to 25 yards. You can select whether the horseshoe appears in the reticle or not by pressing and holding the (-) brightness button on top of the HS503G.

For precision shots with a rifle, the center aiming point is a chevron instead of a dot.

Rest of the reticle info

As far as red dots sig romeo 5, primary arms SLx microdot, bushnell trs25 are around $70-130. Bushnell being cheapest.

Tbh I'm not very familiar with sights in the price range.

I really like that horseshoe framing. Thanks

I really like that horseshoe framing. Thanks

While you probably won't be using the bdc in there keep in mind these are very fine dots. If your eyes aren't great you may have an issue with the Chevron and dots. But for fast close range you would just use the horseshoe.

HS503G-ACSS_06.jpg

Quality image at 1x
a8GIGSn.jpg

This is probably magnified
IMG_0948.JPG

With and without magnifier
H5IGwKaCINbTmF6XY_BN8GEBdEE4QFhs1caqHIi2mU4.jpg

umocow1j6us11.jpg

Keep in mind with these the cameras probably weren't fantastic or couldn't focus as well with the 1x but I just wanted to make you aware of a complaint by some that it can be difficult to pick up the bdc although I don't actually see you having that issue using a shotgun.

I have this reticle on 1.5x16s acogs and I absolutely love them.

While you probably won't be using the bdc in there keep in mind these are very fine dots. If your eyes aren't great you may have an issue with the Chevron and dots. But for fast close range you would just use the horseshoe.

HS503G-ACSS_06.jpg

Quality image at 1x
a8GIGSn.jpg

This is probably magnified
IMG_0948.JPG

With and without magnifier
H5IGwKaCINbTmF6XY_BN8GEBdEE4QFhs1caqHIi2mU4.jpg

umocow1j6us11.jpg

Keep in mind with these the cameras probably weren't fantastic or couldn't focus as well with the 1x but I just wanted to make you aware of a complaint by some that it can be difficult to pick up the bdc although I don't actually see you having that issue using a shotgun.

I have this reticle on 1.5x16s acogs and I absolutely love them.

Thanks for the info and after real quick compare. I think I am gonna have to up the budget to 250.

Thanks for the info and after real quick compare. I think I am gonna have to up the budget to 250.

I'll post more pictures because I don't want to feel like I have talked you into it. I feel like it's possible I've done that a few times on here lol @Gregolian @Cubo de Sangre

This thing is $250 as well.

burris_shotgun_speedbead_reflex_red_dot_sight.jpg

Here is the bushnell trs25 that is currently $70.85 on Amazon.

m7oq3cud1k9z.jpg

703433cf-62d5-42ba-86bf-759c2238579e.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Bushnell-TRS-Red-Dot-see-through-on-target.jpg

Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-2.png

The holosun is a higher quality optic imo and has a reticle that imo suits a shotgun very well. The bushnell is a 3 moa dot and quite a bit less expensive. So weigh the options.

I'll post more pictures because I don't want to feel like I have talked you into it. I feel like it's possible I've done that a few times on here lol @Gregolian @Cubo de Sangre

This thing is $250 as well.

burris_shotgun_speedbead_reflex_red_dot_sight.jpg

Here is the bushnell trs25 that is currently $70.85 on Amazon.

m7oq3cud1k9z.jpg

703433cf-62d5-42ba-86bf-759c2238579e.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Bushnell-TRS-Red-Dot-see-through-on-target.jpg

Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-2.png

The holosun is a higher quality optic imo and has a reticle that imo suits a shotgun very well. The bushnell is a 3 moa dot and quite a bit less expensive. So weigh the options.

Call me crazy. Not sure how I feel about red dots on shotguns. Love 'em on rifles. My one experience with a pistol hasn't been good. Hmmmm.

Call me crazy. Not sure how I feel about red dots on shotguns. Love 'em on rifles. My one experience with a pistol hasn't been good. Hmmmm.
My goal is to find a pistol (maybe take my G23 down the line) and get an optic cut to run a Vortex one on it.

For me, I don't have enough experience with a shotgun other than my dad's side-by-side

My favorite sight I've used on a shotgun was a fiber optic sight. However I like using them on ribbed shotguns. Without the rib I'm not really a fan of other types of irons with a shotgun and prefer a dot.

Eotech on a ksg is fun as well.

Back