Boxing vs MMA : Using the "streetfight approach"

King Kabuki. what are you doing in this? I have read most of it. I mean really it is a bit beneath you and some of the others to even comment on some of the crap that has been said. I posted in it early but come on it was a joke. Even winning this discussion brings no honor.

after reading the entire thread im wondering what would be the best way to train for any situation that may arise.

It would definitely be a hybrid of MMA and boxing.
Im considering taking boxing (maybe kickboxing), however what type of mma training is also good to know.

oh come on youre in a boxing forum. what did you expect, britt

I think the issue with grappling is mainly to avoid the ground. I mean, everyone generally accepts that in a multi-person street-fight, one of the last places you want to be is on the ground, either GnP'ing or getting punched/kicked etc etc... you're far too vulnerable to everyone.

Everyone's seen the footage of the Turkish boxer holding off 4 people in the street, but he was able to do that because there was a lot of space. What happens if he couldn't? A crowded bar, a narrow alley etc etc. People are going to get within clinch range, and as early UFC's showed, if two people with no trained takedown ability grapple, the one going for the takedown normally gets it. If a world class boxer doesn't have room to move, then while he may be able to one-punch some people, what happens if someone grabs him from behind? He trips over someone? Etc etc.

And that's the other point about why grappling is necessary. If you do get taken down, you want to be able to get back up again as quickly as possible. If you don't know how to do that, then you probably won't be able to.

Perfect "bodyguard" for a street-fight? Chuck. Yes, his standup is terrible in terms of technique, but he packs one hell of a punch when he does land... and he'll be standing up throwing punches all night. Apparently he used to roll with the anti-fa back in the day (which is why is genius that Stormfront supported him against Tito), so he's been in the odd ruck before as well.

couldn't agree more

after reading the entire thread im wondering what would be the best way to train for any situation that may arise.

It would definitely be a hybrid of MMA and boxing.
Im considering taking boxing (maybe kickboxing), however what type of mma training is also good to know.

boxing is usually a component of mma training. So your "hybrid" would BE MMA. Personally Muay Thai is probably a must since it covers clinches, there are minimal take downs, use of elbows and knees and finally at the least mediocre boxing skills. Thats the reason I think this topic is pretty moot because I don't know of one MMA practitioner that doesn't value boxing and would never think of themselves as being "better". Think of the term "a puncher's chance" and no one will have a better chance than a boxer.

The reason I like Muay Thai is the use of elbows in a street fight are very effective because elbow strikes to the head have a higher probability to cause a cut. Since most fights don't last to the knockout you generally want to demoralize your opponent and possibly any of their "friends" that might want to jump in. If you cause enough visible damage then your average drunk/bully whatever will quickly lose their drive to continue the fight and if their buddies see it it will most likely deter a majority of them from wanting to jump in. There are always going to be those that will try to jump in at least to throw a sucker punch but even if you cause them to hesitate for a second that might be the second you need to run away/deploy a weapon or allow your "friends" to come in.

To answer your first question, the best way to train is to teach yourself to be "situationally aware" always check where you are going, evaluate things like your alcohol/drug consumption and to what level they will impair you, you also should check out the people in the surroundings (example: I was in a bar with my sister and her friend within the first 30 seconds I notices that almost every male in the bar had a blade of some kind, I suggested to my sister that we take the party some place else). Also be able to run and know when you should run. Fighting for survival is one thing but because some jackass "disrespects you" in a bar is a pretty poor reason to possibly be hurt, arrested or killed.

the typical MMA figher has enough striking skills to defeat your average thug. the typical boxer has way, way more than enough striking skills to defeat your average thug. the MMA figher has even more skills on top of that, the boxer... .not necessarily.

p.s. I am not saying that boxers can't handle themselves in street fights, but I am trying to turn back this idea that the MMA fighter is more likely to lose because his striking skills are inferior. the MMA fighter's striking skills may be inferior relative to the boxer's, but it is still more than enough to prepare the MMA fighter for a street fight

correct. if you want to be prepared for anything it's best to know a little bit of everything, but it would behoove you to have a preference for throwing hands.

MMA fighters will be just as good in a street fight brawl as a Boxer would be.
My mate was a pro-Boxer at Lightweight and knocked out a number of blokes who where bigger then him both in fights and sparring but he wasn't a street fighter.One time out on the drink he got into a fight and tried his hands on the guy and got the better before it was broken up but was dissapointd in himself because he said he should of knocked the guy out as he has knocked out bigger and tougher people in the ring.
My answer was you where merry with the drink thats why.

Real Martial artists who are street warriors.
Geoff Thompson
www.amazon.com/.../dp/1840241845

Terry'o'Neil
www.tekki.co.uk/.../tabid/636/Default.aspx

Gary Speirs
img.photobucket.com/.../Gary/Gary-Reg-1.jpg
Jamie'o'Keefe
www.mickybyrne.com/Me and Jamie 2.JPG

The second you step outside the ring, there's no such thing as a fair fight. You try to throw down on me, I'm going to cut your guts out and call my crew to bash your head in with bats.

That's how "street fights" work.

what if your 'cousin eddie's' best friend slaps your girl on the ass, spits in your drink, and kicks your dog at your buddy's backyard barbecue?... are you going to "cut his guts out" then?

You are THE prime example of what this thread is about.

A street fight is not necessarily a ONE on ONE fight. Please, don't just say that you've read it... but actually READ the first post of this thread. Boxer is more effective than MMA in a street fight. A one on one fight, on pavement, is esentially a boxer vs MMA fighter, on pavement, using MMA rules. NOT a streetfight.

no it's not. a one-on-one fight can mean either there are an equal number of friends to jump in on both sides so they choose not to, or it is not a life-threatening situation... just two guys who feel highly disrespected by each other. not all streetfights have to involve weapons of mass destruction or gang jumpings.

you know why, right?

no, not rly. i can recall watching ricco rodriguez get ktfo'd by tim sylvia and thinking that was bad strategy to try and leg kick someone with such insane reach advantage.

but, i also can recall a couple of scuffles i've had in my younger days when i threw a leg kick in there and saw the guy limping the next day. i remember thinking to myself i could've/should've thrown a few more at him and not even get my hands dirty.:D

You don't know. That's who.

Man you'd think with Soko knocking people out, Houston Alexander knocking people out, Chuck getting knocked out in the 1st round, Cro Cop getting knocked out, GSP getting knocked out, and Forrest beating Shogun that MMA fans would stop trying to act like they know who will win fights.

I think what he's trying to say is...

Who stands a better chance in a street fight, one-on one, a boxer with only boxing experience or a mixed martial artist with multiple martial arts training? It's a simple question if you ask me, a MMA fighter.

On paper,yeah the MMA fighter is the guy to win. But shit....I just re wacthed some of the Cotto Mosely fight, and I don't see any MMA fighter being able to take a clean punch from either of those two. Way too much power.

IMO...MMA is more suitable in a street fight than boxing...most fights end up on the ground or in some sort of wrestling match...MMA would be better defending yourself.....

the only thing is i would not want to be on the ground in a butterfly guard while fighting s/o....anyy body can stomp on your face.....

MUAY THAI------->MMA------------->BOXING

when it comes to street fighting.....

Back