News Breaking: The PFL x Bellator super-card is set, Feb. 24

There will be a special guest on hand to award the newly-created title belts to the winners of the featured bouts at PFL vs. Bellator.
PFL Chairman Donn Davis revealed to ESPN that former boxing heavyweight champion Mike Tyson will present the Champion of Champion title belt at Saturday’s event in Riyadh, Saudia Arabia.

"I called Mike two weeks ago, because I thought there was nobody more fitting to award the first ever in combat sports belt that goes to a champion beating a champion than the greatest champion of all time in Mike Tyson," Davis said.

The championship hardware will go to the winner of the evening’s headliner, Renan Ferreira vs. Ryan Bader, as well as Impa Kasanganay vs. Johnny Eblen and Patricio Freire vs. Gabriel Braga. The event marks the first cross-promotional venture for both organizations since PFL acquired Bellator last year.

"I'm really looking forward to this because this is the unification of the two champions of different divisions and different organizations," Tyson told ESPN.

The Champion of Champions belt also includes a place for a ring, which can be removed and worn by the fighter. The idea for the championship ring was the brainchild of Davis, PFL CEO Peter Murray and Francis Ngannou.

"What we saw was other athletes who won championships could wear their ring," Davis said. "I win the NFL, I get my ring from the Super Bowl. I win the World Series, I get my ring. And fighters, they can't always take their belts out. You can't just walk around with your belt."

Once the victim of the world’s most viral knockout, incumbent Professional Fighters League light heavyweight champion Impa Kasanganay obtained his respect the old-fashioned way: by beating it out of people.

“Respect is earned, and people can’t give it to you,” Kasanganay told Sherdog.com. “I’m not here to suck up or be in a popularity contest. I go take what’s mine, and I move forward.”

Kasanganay wants to push forward and through undefeated Bellator MMA middleweight titleholder Johnny Eblen when they meet as part of the PFL “PFL vs. Bellator Champs” show this Saturday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Eblen ranks as the most formidable opponent “Tshilobo” has faced to this point, as he has stopped half of the men he has fought and ruled his division for two years. Still, after living in his car just a year ago, Kasanganay does not believe there can be an opponent more brutal than life itself.

“I think people can be arrogant, and it doesn’t have anything to do with their wins and losses; it’s more a revelation of their character,” he said. “Before you know it, that catches up with them, and pride comes before the fall.”

Kasanganay had little to be prideful about a year ago. Having lost two of his last three fights, the 30-year-old was more infamous for his highlight-reel knockout loss to Joaquin Buckley than his merit in the cage. Kasanganay was discarded by the Ultimate Fighting Championship and in need of a new home before the PFL provided him with the opportunity of a lifetime.

The five-fight winning streak Kasanganay rattled off from the PFL Challenger Series to the light heavyweight finale was unlike anything the promotion had ever seen. He was an afterthought, and 11 months later, he reigns as the promotion’s most unlikely titleholder. Kasanganay always wanted to be a champion, but he never imagined becoming a role model.

“It’s one of those things where you’re grateful, but it also puts you in check,” he said. “I realize that there’s something about my life that really influences other people, and I know that I have a responsibility. I mean, there’s nobody that’s said this is your obligation, but I take it as a personal challenge always to give my best self. I want to be the best version that God’s called me to be, but I also ask myself, ‘How do I use my platform to encourage other people?’”

Kasanganay has not gotten caught up in his newfound influence. Friends and teammates like Bellator welterweight champion Jason Jackson keep him grounded. Jackson won his title over Yaroslav Amosov the week before Kasanganay claimed his $1 million prize. He was also in the cage that night. Because of their bond, Kasanganay has not invested himself into the PFL-Bellator rivalry. As such, when Bellator’s Jackson confronts the PFL’s Ray Cooper III at the event, Kasanganay plans to root for his Kill Cliff Fight Club stablemate; and while Kasanganay remains grateful for the opportunity the PFL gave him, he made it clear he only fights for himself once the cage door closes behind him.

Ever since the Professional Fighters League acquired Bellator MMA in November, there were speculations that the company would host a champion-versus-champion event in 2024. Holding true to the commitment and the vision for global outreach, the organization will set foot in the Middle East for the historic PFL “PFL vs. Bellator Champs” card this Saturday at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The event will witness four championship fights in the heavyweight, middleweight, welterweight and featherweight divisions. In the main event, heavyweight stalwarts Ryan Bader and Renan Ferreira will seek to defend their respective organizational titles.

Bader boasts an impressive resume, having previously reigned as Bellator light heavyweight champion. He went on to compete in the heavyweight division, where he is still undefeated with wins over Fedor Emelianenko, Valentin Moldavsky and Cheick Kongo. Meanwhile, Ferreira arrived on the PFL scene with flair, defeating former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum. However, the result was overturned to a no contest after replays showed Ferreira tapping out while “Vai Cavalo” had him locked into a triangle choke right before he finished Werdum via technical knockout.

Ahead of the anticipated Bader-Ferreira clash, let us delve into some of the numbers they will carry into their showdown:

3: Bader boasts the most successful consecutive heavyweight title defenses in Bellator MMA history with three.

15: Bader holds the record for third-most victories in UFC light heavyweight division history behind only Jones and Glover Teixeira.

20: Appearances ties Bader with Rashad Evans and Jan Blachowicz for fifth-most bouts in UFC light heavyweight division history.

9: Decision victories for Bader as a UFC light heavyweight, second-most ever for a fighter at 205 pounds.

13: Bader victories by knockout or technical knockout.

3: “Darth” also has three submission victories under his belt.

12: Bader was undefeated in 12 fights after he turned professional in 2007.

10: Ferreira holds 10 victories by knockout or technical knockout, underscoring his explosive fighting style.

83: Ferreira boasts an impressive 83% finish rate as a pro.

Leading up to his most recent fight against mixed martial arts icon Fedor Emelianenko at Bellator 290, Ryan Bader was ready to don the black hat if required. All eyes were on Emelianenko’s retirement fight, and Bader himself would have wanted the Russian to ride off into the sunset with a victory had circumstances permitted a different opponent.

Bader made quick work of Emelianenko with a Round 1 technical knockout, which marked the third defense of his Bellator heavyweight championship. Emelianenko was draped in an aureole of reverence for his last bout, but make no mistake, Bader is swathed with distinctions that eclipse many of his other counterparts. A professional fighter since 2007, “Darth” competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s light heavyweight division.
Before he even got into mixed martial arts, Bader amassed wrestling accolades as a three-time Pac-10 Conference champion and a two-time NCAA All-American. For Bader, his journey from the outset was purpose driven. He was hardwired for competition with a burning ambition to excel.

Now entrusted with the main event duties in facing 2023 Professional Fighters League heavyweight champion Renan Ferreira in the PFL “PFL vs. Bellator Champs” card on Saturday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Bader has the opportunity to etch another jewel in the crown of his storied career. With that, let us take a look at some of the moments that have come to define him:

1. Dominant Run Ushers in Future Opportunities​

Bader started his professional MMA journey in March 2007 against Dave Covello at a Worldwide Fighting Championship show. He won the fight by TKO in the first round. That victory served as the springboard for a remarkable streak. The American went on to win six more fights, pushing his streak to 7-0 with six finishes. “Darth” collected signature victories over the likes of Buckley Acosta and Brad Peterson in the process. This stretch of dominant victories thrust him into the glare of the UFC spotlight as a contestant on Season 8 of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series.

2. Glimmering Success on ‘The Ultimate Fighter’​

Bader set out on his path to the UFC as a contestant on “The Ultimate Fighter 8” in 2008. He would become the first light heavyweight selected by coach Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. The American impressed with three solid victories and went on to lock horns with Vinicius Magalhaes at “The Ultimate Fighter 8” Finale on Dec. 13, 2008. He outclassed his opponent without barely breaking a sweat, delivering a decisive blow with an overhand right and follow-up strikes to clock an emphatic victory at 2:18 of the first round. With this victory, Bader earned the title of “The Ultimate Fighter” and pocketed the coveted six-figure UFC contract.

3. A UFC Resume with Peaks, Valleys​

Basking in the glory of his triumph on “The Ultimate Fighter,” Bader took the success and ran with it, collecting four solid victories between April 2009 and September 2010. In his first post-reality series fight, Bader defeated Carmelo Marrero via unanimous decision, scoring 30–27 on all three judges’ scorecards. Unfortunately, he tore his medial collateral ligament and posterior cruciate ligament, which kept him sidelined for a while. Following suit after the debut victory, Bader seized pivotal triumphs against Eric Schafer, Keith Jardine and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Bader encountered a stumbling block in his winning streak in 2011, succumbing to back-to-back guillotine choke submissions against Jon Jones and Tito Ortiz. Bader found his stride once again with consecutive victories over Jason Brilz and Quinton Jackson before falling victim to a Round 2 knockout loss against Lyoto Machida. It seems safe to say that Bader has braved the battleground of the UFC, going toe-to-toe with the titans of the division while amassing a solid record of 15-5 in the organization.

4. Striking Gold​

In a rematch fizzing with excitement, Bader marked his Bellator debut in a second meeting with Phil Davis, and fans felt the nerves taut like pins and needles. New York’s Madison Square Garden served as the backdrop for the encounter, as both fighters engaged in a strategic battle. Davis found success with his body and leg kicks, while Bader capitalized on his stinging jab to disrupt his opponent’s flow. Davis did display his brilliance on occasion, yet Bader’s late takedowns and defense earned him a split decision victory. The bout included admonition from referee Dan Miragliotta for inactivity, but Bader’s persistence ultimately prevailed, as he sealed the win with a late takedown and laid hands on the Bellator light heavyweight championship.

5. Conquering Other Frontiers​

Bader’s name was permanently carved into the fabric of Bellator history when he dispatched the aforementioned Emelianenko a mere 35 seconds into their first clash at Bellator 214. Bader landed a crisp left hook followed by a thunderous right hand, clinching the Bellator heavyweight championship and elevating himself to the status of a double champion in the promotion. Following the victory, “Darth” humbly acknowledged the monumental achievement and his opponent’s legacy that will resonate through the ages.

Still no news on Braga’s weight… also that Brazilian in the ammy fight but that’s way less important

I feel sorry for Pitbull. Now he needs to wait even more, since Pico is fighting and Kennedy is fighting next month, so he can't even really be on a near future Bellator card.
They really should just reschedule Pineda vs Pitbull. We absolutely should not miss out on that fight.

Let a contender come out of the Bellator Ireland event and go from there.

They really should just reschedule Pineda vs Pitbull. We absolutely should not miss out on that fight.

Let a contender come out of the Bellator Ireland event and go from there.

That can only happen in Pineda doesn't take part in the season. That's one of the problems with rebooking fights.

That can only happen in Pineda doesn't take part in the season. That's one of the problems with rebooking fights.
That’s true but I think it would be worth it due to it being such an anticipated fight and the possibility of another PFL/Bellator supercard.

The Professional Fighters League will stage a promotion-versus-promotion rumble for its first show of 2024 this Saturday at Kingdom Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. By putting up a few of its champs against the best that Bellator MMA can offer, the two leagues are pulling out a lot of stops to make sure people realize the power of their merger. The three champion-versus-champion bouts are three-round encounters, which might change how some approach these proceedings. In this abbreviated PFL vs. Bellator edition of Prime Picks, we suggest two Ultimate Fighting Championship veterans will get it done while pitching a parlay of Bellator beltholders running the table.

Ryan Bader (-110)​

Bader has more than proven himself since leaving the confines of the UFC as an elite contender who could not get over the hump of the Top 3. The 40-year-old still struggled against Corey Anderson and Vadim Nemkov—both Top 3 light heavyweights—but has had no equal since climbing above 206 pounds. Part of it is the level of competition, as aging names like Muhammed Lawal and Cheick Kongo hardly stack up against the Alexander Volkovs and Ciryl Ganes of the world. Against Renan Ferreira, an extremely rangy striker with a very exploitable ground game, Bader has an apparent and distinct path to victory that makes it somewhat surprising he is not favored.

The 6-foot-8 Brazilian, with an incredible 11-inch reach advantage over his opponent, can do practically whatever he wants from range. “Problema” can create real problems by firing off front kicks that Bader cannot get in on or potshot the former two-division titleholder from afar with piston-like jabs. Bader’s durability has never been immaculate, so he may get clipped trying to find his range or crash the pocket. As long as Bader stays on the outside, it will be Ferreira’s fight, but luckily for “Darth,” he has a trump card of elite wrestling. Putting the 265-pound beanpole on his back, staving off the occasional triangle setup and laying down ground-and-pound will be exactly how Bader should approach this 15-minute affair. This approach is not alien to the two-time NCAA All-American wrestler from Arizona State University, and it can keep his chin off the gunnery range and take him to a clear-cut win that might have a few scares.

Thiago Santos (-125)​

At a combined 86 years of age, Santos and Yoel Romero will engage in the battle of elder statesmen on this bill. Both men have lost numerous steps, and the likelihood of this 205-pound match being a banger is low. Santos’ timing and speed have abandoned him, and his power has seemingly gone with it, as he has not done much with his hands since his thriller with Jan Blachowicz almost exactly five years ago. On the other hand, Romero may have won since departing the promotion in 2020 against exceptionally low-level opposition in the form of an older Melvin Manhoef and Alex Polizzi. On both occasions, Romero looked pedestrian until exploding into action, and that explosion is not likely to work on “Marreta.”

It is for the best that these two do not have five rounds to ply their craft, as their cardio reserves may not be able to take it. Romero did next to nothing for the first 20 or so minutes against Vadim Nemkov, except eat clean one-twos until deciding it was time to fight. Romero blitzed with all he had left, even securing a takedown. Still, the activity may have been more preempted because Romero had seemingly saved all his energy until that point while Nemkov teed off at will. It was not enough. Against Santos, another fighter who has become cautious to a fault, it is a measure of who is willing to give up more rounds. In recent memory, while Santos does little, Romero does almost nothing until going ballistic for a few seconds. It may not be the ideal match to bet on, but it beats guessing if A.J. McKee can outwrestle Clay Collard or whether Claressa Shields will get upset by a sub-.500 fighter on this bedazzled lineup.

TRIPLE THREAT (+293)

Ryan Bader (-110)​

Johnny Eblen (-550)​

Patricio Freire (-135)​

With Bader as the anchor—and he might be a scary one for as long as the fight is upright—the two remaining picks come in the form of a massive favorite and a current champ taking on the man who finished in second place last year. As Bellator middleweight kingpin, Eblen has displayed the skills and dominance that leave fans questioning whether he is some Top 10 middleweight or the best in the world without any way to prove it. Constantly changing his nickname, he appears to have settled on “Pressure” for now, which is perfect given his style and endurance. The NCAA Division I wrestler from Missouri can throw anyone around that he faces like a takedown dummy. Former welterweight-turned-light heavyweight Impa Kasanganay will go down in weight for this challenge, and it is a stiff one that may not bode well for him. To prevail, he must stay off his back or keep his back off the cage wall and be the one leading the dance. If not, it will be an uncomfortable 15 minutes against the heavily favored Eblen.

Kicking off the parlay is a potentially problematic fight, similar to the PFL scheduling Raush Manfio against best buddy Natan Schulte. “Pitbull” has said publicly that he likes Gabriel Braga, his late replacement foe, and that the recent passing of Braga’s father, Diego Braga Alves, weighs heavily on them both. As a result, Freire may take it easy on the 25-year-old in mourning. If fight fans are lucky, the two countrymen will put their emotions aside and take the fight as seriously as any other. However, the opportunity also presents itself, and this could look more like a sparring match than an actual “championship” fight—even though Braga is not the titleholder in PFL, Freire still holds the featherweight strap in Bellator. With the opportunity to triple one’s input by selecting three Bellator fighters to top their PFL counterparts, it may be a better investment than a moneyline four-piece of Jason Jackson (-700), Vadim Nemkov (-550), McKee (-300) and Biaggio Ali Walsh (-1100) combined at an almost even return of -104.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back