Broke my ankle and in a cast can anybody recommend diet or supps to help expedite healing?

dreden1982

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've read calcium, vitamin d, silica and such. Anybody able to verify those claims based in experience? Got any advice? I can't work and disability ain't shit

If you're already eating a healthy diet full of whole foods while eliminating processed garbage you probably aren't going to eat your way into faster healing times. Get on cronometer or my fitness pal, track a few days of eating to see areas where you can make improvements and then make appropriate adjustments(supplements/better food choices).

Some degree of activity is better than just vegging out on the couch all day. Sit up, work with your hands, keep your mind engaged. Being too sedentary will absolutely decrease healing time. Drink lots of water.

I've read calcium, vitamin d, silica and such. Anybody able to verify those claims based in experience? Got any advice? I can't work and disability ain't shit
Trying doing bicycles on your back and anything else you can to facilitate movement and promote bloodflow to your legs. Also, massage.

If you're already eating a healthy diet full of whole foods while eliminating processed garbage you probably aren't going to eat your way into faster healing times. Get on cronometer or my fitness pal, track a few days of eating to see areas where you can make improvements and then make appropriate adjustments(supplements/better food choices).

Some degree of activity is better than just vegging out on the couch all day. Sit up, work with your hands, keep your mind engaged. Being too sedentary will absolutely decrease healing time. Drink lots of water.
I eat pretty clean already very minimal junk. Eating more protein and mounds of brocolli, kale and or spinach. Thanks for the advice mate.

Trying doing bicycles on your back and anything else you can to facilitate movement and promote bloodflow to your legs. Also, massage.
thanks I'll head your advice.

thanks I'll head your advice.

Just make sure if you're performing self massage to end it with effleurage in the direction of your heart to get good venous return. You don't really want to push a bunch of blood down into an area with poor circulation that's already acutely inflamed and then leave it there.

If you look up "retrograde massage" you'll get a good idea of what to do.

Just make sure if you're performing self massage to end it with effleurage in the direction of your heart to get good venous return. You don't really want to push a bunch of blood down into an area with poor circulation that's already acutely inflamed and then leave it there.

Yeah, I heard that you should always massage toward the heart. I should have mentioned it. Thanks

Well my cast goes to just below my knee so what exactly should I be massaging?

My advice is go easy on the Pain meds. I tend to make bad food choices while I'm on them. ;)

Nothing right now until you get out of the cast.
Oh haha gotcha. It's only been on for a few days I go back for more xrays in a couple weeks but I'll definitely be taking your advice.

Yeah they gave me 10 Percacets I just take 1 before bed cause it aches
I can only take half at a time or they mess up my stomach and eating something is the only way to fix it. I tend to eat a lot of crap when I'm laid up anyway, although I'll admit some of that is just plain boredom and self pity. I HATE being injured... hope you are back up to full speed soon. ;)

Last edited:
I can only take half at a time or they mess up my stomach and eating something is the only way to fix it. I tend to eat a lot of crap when I'm laid up anyway, although I'll admit some of that is just plain boredom and self pity. I HATE being injured... hope you are back up to full speed soon. ;)
Yeah I hear ya. Trying to eat right so I don't get too out of shape and also to help speed up the natural healing process. It's my first major injury really and it sucks being immobile. Thanks for the well wishes.

I think you need fat and vitamin c for calcium to be absorbed. Or maybe it was iron from spinach that needs fat.

Best bet is to not break your ankle TS have you tried that?

I think you need fat and vitamin c for calcium to be absorbed. Or maybe it was iron from spinach that needs fat.
I know iron absorbs better with vitamin c, not sure about the other bone minerals.

I don’t know none of that shit so I won’t recommend anything but I do wish you a speedy recovery :)

A well rounded healthy diet, other than that, probably not no. Healing is holistic, but in regards to your physical rehab, isn't there a physical therapist or anyone else who's managing your recovery?

A guy from work who does crossfit told me that guys with injuries get put on very high fish oil supplement dosages at his gym, I have no idea if it really works though.

Back