Law BBB/ Inflation Reduction Act: Signed into Law

I haven't been tracking this as much as I was expecting too but main updates about budget reconciliation (Build Back Better Act)

-Schumer and senate democrats submitted a proposal for DACA recipients having a pathway to citizenship which is still awaiting a decision from the Senate parliamentarian. I don't expect it to go through but I think this is one of those things where they can say they tried. Budget reconciliation only takes 50 votes in the Senate but it's meant to be constrained to budget and debt. Their proposal ties costs that would be necessary to process immigration fees for the DACA recipients. Again, I don't see how this should go through.
-Many democrats are looking to reinstate the SALT deduction into tax law. It was previously stripped down with a cap (10k) when the Trump tax bill went through. It obviously disproportionately affects bluer/ high tax state residents. Expenditure for the deduction is about 85 billion annually.
-Old news but Manchin has called for this all to slow down and that it likely isn't going to be all handled by the end of September as democrats originally intended. Both him and Sinema both have stated they won't be okay with a 3.5T bill but haven't stated where the right number is. Manchin alluded to maybe 1-1.5T
-Mentioned in the other thread specifically about CTC but the House is looking to have the expanded CTC that was temporary for only 2021 extended until 2025 when a lot of other tax provisions expire.
-It's possible the provisions for the Securing a Strong Retirement Act of 2021 might be put in reconciliation as well. This mainly expands limits and adds more flexibility to people looking to save for retirement and builds off a bill from a few years back.

Tax Foundation did their analysis on the bill at this point. A lot of info so check out the link
Build Back Better Act: Details & Analysis of the $3.5 Trillion Budget Reconciliation Bill
The Tax Foundation
Revenue: 1.06Trillion
Long-run GDP: -0.98%
Wages: -0.68%
FTE Jobs: -303,000

FREE MONEY!!!!

Don't you fools worry about that money going to political cronies or being abused! The "Free Press" will keep you informed.

I'm going to be frank. You young people are fucked in so far as jobs. Low skill they import unlimited illegal aliens. High skill they have H1Bs and import cheap labor too. Thats probably why $15 an hour didnt get any traction.

Also climate change and stuff. So glad I'm old. Most ppl want to be young again. Not me
Said same many times the past two years. Feel bad for my kids having to manage through what's coming. Hopefully, what I've been able to build out wlll help them in the future.

Scoop - Manchin: Delay Biden plan to '22
Axios
1632073350812.jpg

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) is privately saying he thinks Congress should take a “strategic pause” until 2022 before voting on President Biden’s $3.5 trillion social-spending package, people familiar with the matter tell Axios.

Why it matters: Manchin’s new timeline — if he insists on it — would disrupt the plans by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to vote on the budget reconciliation package this month.

Driving the news: Back home in West Virginia last week, Manchin told a group of employees at a Procter & Gamble facility in Martinsburg he wanted to pause all the talk about the $3.5 trillion bill until 2022, Axios was told.
  • Those semi-public comments track with some of his private conversations about how long he wants to impose the "strategic pause" he floated in a Wall Street Journal op-ed this month.
  • Manchin didn't give a specific timeline in his op-ed.

If Pelosi actually keeps her word and brings the bipartisan infrastructure bill up for a vote on the 27th will there be enough Republican votes to offset the defecting progressive Democrats? This is going to be interesting.

If Pelosi actually keeps her word and brings the bipartisan infrastructure bill up for a vote on the 27th will there be enough Republican votes to offset the defecting progressive Democrats? This is going to be interesting.

96 votes I believe in that caucus. You'd assume they wouldn't all vote completely as a bloc but even with 70, that could be a hard hill to climb. I think the GOP senators were more on board with the bill than the house. Definitely a big week coming up.

96 votes I believe in that caucus. You'd assume they wouldn't all vote completely as a bloc but even with 70, that could be a hard hill to climb. I think the GOP senators were more on board with the bill than the house. Definitely a big week coming up.
I can remember one Republican Rep claiming to still have enough votes even if the progressives bailed but that was awhile ago.

I can remember one Republican Rep claiming to still have enough votes even if the progressives bailed but that was awhile ago.

Politicians in DC must hate this year because the ideological lines aren't as clear for voting as they usually are with this two track plan and the strategies behind this. Like I don't think there's a consensus on which party/ politician "wins" if either of these pass and I don't think they necessarily have an idea either unless there's some guaranteed project funding in their district. McCarthy is also a big element here as he hasn't shown any support for it.

I'm going to be frank. You young people are fucked in so far as jobs. Low skill they import unlimited illegal aliens. High skill they have H1Bs and import cheap labor too. Thats probably why $15 an hour didnt get any traction.

Also climate change and stuff. So glad I'm old. Most ppl want to be young again. Not me

If they spent less time streaming and taping themselves dancing and more time looking into degrees that get real viable jobs, they'd probably be better off.

A terrorist occupier had been build back better... Illegal immigration has been built back better... What else? Authoritarianism?

The Senate parliamentarian has ruled that the Dems cannot use the reconciliation process to jam through illegal immigration amnesty in this bill. Trying to include that in the process was fucking shameless, especially considering the situation at the southern border currently.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-parliamentarian-deals-blow-to-dems-immigration-push

That had really low odds. If minimum wage couldn’t get in last time, I don’t see how this was going to. It just allows them to tell voters they tried

It appears Sinema also made ultimatums to Biden privately. I think at this point, it seems like the plan is to get their infrastructure bill through and possibly bail completely on the reconciliation. I don't even expect it to be 2.2T if it does come to fruition. Neither side confirmed this was said however.

POLITICO Playbook: Scoop: Sinema issues ultimatum to Biden
The indoor dining area of Le Diplomate closed early Sunday night due to a violent disturbance caused by a man that lasted 15 minutes, an employee told our tipster. Bottles were thrown at patrons, according to NBC’s Justice Green, who was there and tweeted: “We all thought it was a gunman when everyone started running.” One person was arrested, the employee said. At around 9 p.m., there were still a number of people who were dining outside. Photos of the aftermath

MODS TO BIDEN: BIF NOW OR BUST — Sen. KYRSTEN SINEMA (D-Ariz.) delivered a tough message to President JOE BIDEN at a private meeting Wednesday, we’re told: If the House delays its scheduled Sept. 27 vote on the bipartisan infrastructure plan — or if the vote fails — she won’t be backing a reconciliation bill.Tweet this

Sinema is not the only moderate taking this stand. Rep. KURT SCHRADER (D-Ore.) — one of approximately 10 moderate Democratic House members playing hardball with leadership — said he and several members of their group are on the same page. Some of the lawmakers have conveyed that message up the chain to leadership and the White House. A senior Democratic aide confirmed the warnings.

“If they delay the vote — or it goes down — then I think you can kiss reconciliation goodbye,” Schrader told Playbook. “Reconciliation would be dead.”

This is obviously big news if moderates follow through. The threat comes days after Congressional Progressive Caucus Chair PRAMILA JAYAPAL (D-Wash.) declared that House progressives had the votes to tank the infrastructure plan, aka BIF, unless it’s paired with the larger $3.5 trillion reconciliation package. But it’s become abundantly clear the reconciliation bill won’t be ready a week from today, the date when Speaker NANCY PELOSI promised moderates a vote on the $1.2 trillion bill to rebuild the nation’s roads and bridges.

The time crunch and threat from the left has led many to question whether the speaker will try to postpone the infrastructure vote. House Majority Whip JIM CLYBURN (D-S.C.) told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Sunday that a delay is possible.

But the mods’ new threat indicates that a delay would not end well. “That’d be foolish on their part,” Schrader told us, noting that Clyburn, Pelosi and House Majority Leader STENY HOYER were in the room when the promise was made to them to take up the infrastructure plan on Sept. 27. “That would indicate they’re not playing fair in the sandbox. … It would be a travesty if they try to play games.”

It appears Sinema also made ultimatums to Biden privately. I think at this point, it seems like the plan is to get their infrastructure bill through and possibly bail completely on the reconciliation. I don't even expect it to be 2.2T if it does come to fruition. Neither side confirmed this was said however.

POLITICO Playbook: Scoop: Sinema issues ultimatum to Biden
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out this week. I think that Pelosi is going to bail on the Sept 27 vote on the infrastructure bill. And that is going to seriously piss off the moderate Dem Reps.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out this week. I think that Pelosi is going to bail on the Sept 27 vote on the infrastructure bill. And that is going to seriously piss off the moderate Dem Reps.

Yea, a bunch of ultimatum and threats but I think she won't see a problem pushing it back. This might be her last term as speaker so caving this early on the bargaining chip to keep reconciliation alive would leave her in a less favorable light to the base on exit. Just wonder how long they can do a game of chicken if Machin is talking 2022.

When it comes to conversations about the debt, it really doesnt matter. If the government is spending on things that the country needs then its ok. Its when we have wasteful spending that is of no use to the public that it becomes a problem. For example the waste when it comes to military spending is insane. We just wasted trillions on a War in Afghanistan that changef absolutely nothing and was not of benefit to the public. I hate hearing talks of how important the national debt is under democrat presidents from Republicans, when they are fine with it under a republican president.

Build back better is the dumbest name ever

Back