News Cédric Doumbé officially cut from the UFC…

no-michael-scott.gif
<FookIsThatGuy>

Makes sense. Let’s sanction CM punk for an MMA fight and cut Doumbe.
Well the UFC has nothing to do with sanctioning fighters. And maybe they met with this guy’s manager/agent and came to a mutual agreement to let him gain more experience in the minors?

This is the second post tonight mentioning Punk, when the situations are nothing alike. Not just two different American commissions involved here. But a foreign country that just legalized mma. Kinda odd fellas.

… and set to make his KSW debut in Paris.
What a UFC run he had:D

What I don't get is why the commission stopped it in the first place. The guy is an accomplished combat fighter. Imagine getting him in your second or third MMA fight? He has a skillset that translates well to MMA and has been very successful in Glory.

I assume he wins a couple of fighters then the UFC picks him up and tries again. Missing the france event means there isn't right now urgency for UFC anymore.

What I don't get is why the commission stopped it in the first place. The guy is an accomplished combat fighter. Imagine getting him in your second or third MMA fight? He has a skillset that translates well to MMA and has been very successful in Glory.

I assume he wins a couple of fighters then the UFC picks him up and tries again. Missing the france event means there isn't right now urgency for UFC anymore.

KSW is a main stream promotion. He's locked with them for the long term. I doubt he ever signs with the UFC now.

Yeah the French commission failed big time preventing Doumbé from making his UFC debut in France due to that rule.
According to their rules, someone <10 pro MMA bouts can’t fight someone with more than 4 MMA bouts than he got himself. When someone has 10 or more fights he can fight whoever he wants to fight. I will explain to you how it works below:

The originally scheduled Cédric Doumbé - Darian Weeks fight is off because Doumbé is an Elite 2 fighter in France (<10 fights, someone with 10 fights or more is an Elite 1 fighter), which means he can only fight against someone with no more than 6 MMA fights, since Doumbé has a MMA-record of 2-0.
Weeks got 7 fights, so the fight is not allowed to take place.

Weeks ‘only’ has 7 pro bouts (his amateur MMA-career not included). Doumbé got 2 MMA fights, but is a very experienced kickboxer.
Imo there should be no issues sanctioning this fight, unfortunately I’m not the French sanctioning body…

I agree that it’s a good rule to prevent guys from padding their records, but there should be exceptions for guys like Doumbé, Pereira, etc. who are very experienced/accomplished in other combat sports.
For example:
5-1 Alex Pereira KO’d 25-3 Sean Strickland inside 3 minutes despite a huge gap in ‘MMA’ experience.
I hope so bud

Yeah the French commission failed big time preventing Doumbé from making his UFC debut in France due to that rule.
According to their rules, someone <10 pro MMA bouts can’t fight someone with more than 4 MMA bouts than he got himself. When someone has 10 or more fights he can fight whoever he wants to fight. I will explain to you how it works below:

The originally scheduled Cédric Doumbé - Darian Weeks fight is off because Doumbé is an Elite 2 fighter in France (<10 fights, someone with 10 fights or more is an Elite 1 fighter), which means he can only fight against someone with no more than 6 MMA fights, since Doumbé has a MMA-record of 2-0.
Weeks got 7 fights, so the fight is not allowed to take place.

Weeks ‘only’ has 7 pro bouts (his amateur MMA-career not included). Doumbé got 2 MMA fights, but is a very experienced kickboxer.
Imo there should be no issues sanctioning this fight, unfortunately I’m not the French sanctioning body…

I agree that it’s a good rule to prevent guys from padding their records, but there should be exceptions for guys like Doumbé, Pereira, etc. who are very experienced/accomplished in other combat sports.
For example:
5-1 Alex Pereira KO’d 25-3 Sean Strickland inside 3 minutes despite a huge gap in ‘MMA’ experience.

I hope so bud

I agree the rule in general is good. But I just think experience in other combat sports has to be taken into account to make it fair. On paper Doumbe should be destroying most of the fighters the commission would be okay with him fighting in an unfair mismatch.

It was the french MMA commision and I'm not really sure who has influence over that, previously judo and kickboxing have used their influence to keep MMA out of france so I wouldnt be supprised if in this case the UFC have had to deal with a commission that's quite hostile to them and deliberately wanted to try and fuck up events.

Doesnt mean they should have dropped him just because he can't fight in france right away though, thats just being cheap, he could have built up some fights elsewhere first.

It was the french MMA commision and I'm not really sure who has influence over that, previously judo and kickboxing have used their influence to keep MMA out of france so I wouldnt be supprised if in this case the UFC have had to deal with a commission that's quite hostile to them and deliberately wanted to try and fuck up events.

Doesnt mean they should have dropped him just because he can't fight in france right away though, thats just being cheap, he could have built up some fights elsewhere first.

They do fights in UK and Dubai (where anything goes) which are close so cost shouldn't have a been a huge factor.

Back