Caio Terra - "Technique Conquers All"

Stuart0502

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of general martial arts channels nowadays on youtube that contest the BJJ idea that it was designed for a smaller man to beat a larger man and dismiss it as a marketing ploy.

I'm pretty sure the icy mike channel has said that and a few others.

Yet the success of Caio Terra seems to contest this.

Reading his bio from "BJJ Heroes" it says;

"When in the United States Caio Terra became famous for his successful incursions to the sport’s absolute division, conquering several important IBJJF gold medals, being the first truly successful roosterweight in history to do so at the highest level. "

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/caio-terra

I did find a couple of examples of him beating bigger guys. That said I am not up to date with the sport BJJ scene. Is that the exception rather than the standard? Are there a bunch of other matches where he gets smoked by 72kg (or heavier) guys? It seems also that it's not completely unique to him. I did find a match where Bruno Malfacine beats a heavyweight who holds a victory over Buccheca.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around how a 130 pound guy can beat a 220 pound guy. I guess it's a case of physically and tactically being one step ahead of the opponent.

That quote always cracks me up. Lol at a skilled bigger guy sadly pulling guard and then tapping in terror to an equal or lesser skilled smaller guy, because big guy knows his resistance is futile.

Like most combat sports, BJJ was designed for the more skilled man to beat the less skilled man. You get style points if you do it as the smaller man, but size and strength will always be an advantage all else being equal.

That quote always cracks me up. Lol at a skilled bigger guy sadly pulling guard and then tapping in terror to an equal or lesser skilled smaller guy, because big guy knows his resistance is futile.

Like most combat sports, BJJ was designed for the more skilled man to beat the less skilled man. You get style points if you do it as the smaller man, but size and strength will always be an advantage all else being equal.
Size isn't always an advantage. There are a ton of positions where having shorter limbs is a huge advantage (as well as the opossite).

Size isn't always an advantage. There are a ton of positions where having shorter limbs is a huge advantage (as well as the opossite).

By "size" I'm talking weight. Clearly there are pros and cons to being taller or shorter at the same weight, hence weight classes and not height classes. Of course there are diminishing returns with size above a certain weight, but generally speaking at comparable skill levels, being heavier grants an advantage which shouldn't be news to anyone.

His two best students are roided to the gills

This came from the Gracie marketing ploy... there's some truth behind it though.. If all things being equal ...technically that is.. the bigger stronger guy will have the upper hand. That's why there are weight divisions in combat sports.

For those saying it was a Gracie marketing push.

I was talking about the general concept that BJJ is for smaller weaker people.

I don't mean taking the quote in the OP literally, if that were the case then the rooster weight champion would have a 50 : 50 chance of beating the heavyweight champion. In the case of Caio Terra he's obviously using that as a marketing push and doesn't believe it 100%.

That said with performances like this;

He kind of owns the motto even if it is partially BS. Rooster weight champion against a masters heavyweight world champion and the rooster wins.

Nevermind the fact that Caio is 5' 8" 127 pounds with a metabolism disorder and you would think lacks a basic foundation of healthy muscle mass for functional athleticism. Obviously not though. At least in terms of BJJ.

There are several "martial arts influencer" videos like this out there that shit on the idea that BJJ technique is a good equaliser for smaller people;

"In a lot of ways BJJ is one of the worst martial arts for smaller weaker people".

Doesn't the idea that groundwork gives a chance for smaller more technical people to excel come from Judo originally? I remember hearing it pre-dates the popularisation of Gracie BJJ at least.

BJJ isn't for smaller and weaker people, but it can work for smaller and weaker people. Martial arts are basically a weapon that gives you an advantage over other people that don't have it. All martial arts do this and it isn't exclusive to BJJ. What BJJ has going for it, is that most people don't have any idea how to fight on the ground, so there is a larger skill gap than standing.

The video above is somewhat fair and gives a good basic outline. If you are small BJJ can help you. Being small isn't an advantage in BJJ and expect a rough start. If you become good enough you can beat larger people with BJJ. If you are against someone of the same skill level, but larger than you you'll lose.

There are tons of examples of smaller people beating larger people in BJJ, but it is because the smaller person is better at BJJ. Being larger and stronger is better for BJJ generally, but that doesn't mean a small man can't win. You can see the same thing in Judo.

Talking with a pan ams black belt adult silver medalist he actually thinks a combination of being small (short) and super strong (shaped like a brick) like Gustavo Batista is the worst to fight against then a roided out giant as you can't both move the guy (because of strength) and there is no space to go under or insert some limb (because of small size).

I'd like to see anyone in here shit talking small guys try to grapple a 120 pound orangutan. You will get fucked up.

I'd like to see anyone in here shit talking small guys try to grapple a 120 pound orangutan. You will get fucked up.
In a pure IBJJF/ADCC fight with no biting IMHOa 120lbs orangutan would get wrecked by a big human grapplers, orangutans are fat so would be p4p a fuckton weaker than a roided out competitor, and there is a limit to the strength disadvantage you can overcome with just flexibility and feet dexterity if you have no technique.

In a pure IBJJF/ADCC fight with no biting IMHOa 120lbs orangutan would get wrecked by a big human grapplers, orangutans are fat so would be p4p a fuckton weaker than a roided out competitor, and there is a limit to the strength disadvantage you can overcome with just flexibility and feet dexterity if you have no technique.
Orangutans literally grapple all day. I've watched them playing close up, they invert, berimbolo, all sorts of shit. And their feet have thumbs with power lifter level grip strength.

They can box too.

Orangutans literally grapple all day. I've watched them playing close up, they invert, berimbolo, all sorts of shit. And their feet have thumbs with power lifter level grip strength.

They can box too.

Feet with thumbs are great but does this balance out being 3 times weaker?

There's been scientific testing done that suggests Chimps are about twice as strong as us, Gorilla about 5 or 6 times stronger and Orangutans somewhere in the middle but supposedly they're hard to train to actually lift weight for proper tests.

You're getting snapped like a twig by any of them with or without your roids buddy :-D

Probably by one doing simultaneous kimuras on your two arms with both hands and feet while flouting the accepted wisdom of 'no thumbs for the grip' use humans repeat.

There's been scientific testing done that suggests Chimps are about twice as strong as us, Gorilla about 5 or 6 times stronger and Orangutans somewhere in the middle but supposedly they're hard to train to actually lift weight for proper tests.

You're getting snapped like a twig by any of them with or without your roids buddy :-D

Probably by one doing simultaneous kimuras on your two arms with both hands and feet while flouting the accepted wisdom of 'no thumbs for the grip' use humans repeat.

All while they wear a shit eating grin

Back