Elections Californians

fingercuffs

36CFIST
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you want Newsom out? If so, who is your pick to take over?

This is all new to me, I didn't know there was such a thing as a "recall".

No, he's doing great.

There's a dumb law that makes it much easier for Republicans to win the governor's mansion by recalling the governor than by winning a regular election. Newsom beat Cox by 24 points, and he'd beat Elder by even more, but if he loses the recall, a candidate with 20% support can become governor. So the smart move for Republicans is just to not really waste money trying to win the election, and smear the winner and hope to get his approval underwater so they can get a win in a recall and put an unpopular candidate in power. If they just fix it so the lt. gov. becomes gov. after a recall, we wouldn't see this idiocy. Also, it's an attempt to try to hurt his career, as some Republicans around here are scared he'll be president someday.

Last edited:
Do you want Newsom out? If so, who is your pick to take over?

This is all new to me, I didn't know there was such a thing as a "recall".

Don't you live in CA? How have you not heard of a recall before? You must be younger because that's how Arnold got into office.

Anyway, Newsom needs to go...he's an example of poor leadership. Do as I say, not as I do. His kids were attending in-person classes in private school while our public school kids spent a whole year on Zoom.

His hypocrisy was exposed with him eating at a fancy restaurant indoors with no mask for a lobbyist's birthday while everyone else was allowed to.

His winery managed to stay open while his competitors in surrounding counties mysteriously had to shut down.

His shutdowns helped contribute to small businesses going under, even as they were already reeling from the social justice rioting and other pandemic effects from last year.

His polices do not help the middle class and only serve to widen the already massive wealth inequality gap in this state.

Liberals worry about Elder taking office but the Democrats will still have a supermajority in the state legislature.

If Newsom gets successfully recalled, that should also put an end or seriously hurt his presidential ambitions.

He's gotta go...

<DisgustingHHH>

Don't you live in CA? How have you not heard of a recall before? You must be younger because that's how Arnold got into office.

Anyway, Newsom needs to go...he's an example of poor leadership. Do as I say, not as I do. His kids were attending in-person classes in private school while our public school kids spent a whole year on Zoom.

His hypocrisy was exposed with him eating at a fancy restaurant indoors with no mask while everyone else was allowed to.

His winery managed to stay open while his competitors in surrounding counties mysteriously had to shut down.

His shutdowns helped contribute to small businesses going under, even as they were already reeling from the social justice rioting and other pandemic effects from last year.

His polices do not help the middle class and only serve to widen the already massive wealth inequality gap in this state.

Liberals worry about Elder taking office but the Democrats will still have a supermajority in the state legislature.

If Newsom gets successfullly recalled, that should also put an end or seriously hurt his presidential ambitions.

He's gotta go...

<DisgustingHHH>
I've lived here for 8ish years, it wasn't a thing in the UK.

The way I see it, during this Covid rubbish, better the devil you know but I still don't have my head around American politics, as hard as I try.

That's another aspect of this. Republicans are counting on their voters being more motivated and on everyone else being complacent.

His hypocrisy was exposed with him eating at a fancy restaurant indoors with no mask while everyone else was allowed to.

See, this illustrates the issue. The plan was to get the recall on the ballot and the justifications were to come later. Without nitpicking the details, does anyone think that the governor eating out or having his kids in private school justify a recall? Of course not. People should just be honest and say that they're Republicans and would prefer that the governor be a Republican, and since Republicans are very unlikely to win a gubernatorial race in CA, the recall is their best option. By having to pretend that Newsom actually did something to justify a recall, they just make themselves look ridiculous (the last line was particularly funny--"Newsom isn't left-wing enough so I want to put a rightist extremist in office").

His hypocrisy was exposed with him eating at a fancy restaurant indoors with no mask for a lobbyist's birthday while everyone else was allowed to.

If Newsom gets successfully recalled, that should also put an end or seriously hurt his presidential ambitions.

He's gotta go...

<DisgustingHHH>
Him going to the French Laundry a couple of days after he told everyone we had to stay at home is my main gripe with him, he even tried to lie his way out of that by saying it was outside and socially distanced till a photo emerged of him sat all comfy with 12 people.

Him going to the French Laundry a couple of days after he told everyone we had to stay at home is my main gripe with him, he even tried to lie his way out of that by saying it was outside and socially distanced till a photo emerged of him sat all comfy with 12 people.
The blatant dishonesty and smug attitude about it. Was it him that had sand poured in the skate parks so people wouldn't go there ?

The blatant dishonesty and smug attitude about it. Was it him that had sand poured in the skate parks so people wouldn't go there ?
Smug knocks it on the head completely. He's a good looking guy with a really good speech voice and I was suckered in completely. Debonair, suave. But I reckon a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I've lived here for 8ish years, it wasn't a thing in the UK.

The way I see it, during this Covid rubbish, better the devil you know but I still don't have my head around American politics, as hard as I try.

The Democratic supermajority will keep in line any potential wild card chance of a Republican who gets in. But most likely a Democrat wins and replaces Newsom

The reasons listed by @Paradigm along with many others is why he must go

Smug knocks it on the head completely. He's a good looking guy with a really good speech voice and I was suckered in completely. Debonair, suave. But I reckon a wolf in sheep's clothing.

But he's not your boyfriend; he's the governor. From a policy perspective, he's been excellent.

The Democratic supermajority will keep in line any potential wild card chance of a Republican who gets in. But most likely a Democrat wins and replaces Newsom

The reasons listed by @Paradigm along with many others is why he must go

Huh? There's zero chance that if Newsom is recalled a Democrat will replace him. There aren't even any serious Democratic candidates on the ballot. And the notion that the governor should be recalled because he ate out or has kids in private school is too stupid for words. Again, people should just be honest about what's going on.

Huh? There's zero chance that if Newsom is recalled a Democrat will replace him. There aren't even any serious Democratic candidates on the ballot. And the notion that the governor should be recalled because he ate out or has kids in private school is too stupid for words. Again, people should just be honest about what's going on.

Republicans feel they should run every branch of government in the United States and they’ll do almost anything to make sure that happens.

Didn’t something just happen or am
I mistaken, like overturning the presidential election based off of lies and at some point some people tried to take over the capital. What am I thinking of here? Hmmmm

Or something about not allowing a president to choose a Supreme Court justice during and election year.

But he's not your boyfriend; he's the governor. From a policy perspective, he's been excellent.
Like I said, I would rather he stay in with Covid, he's been living it for 18 months and if I were able to vote I would have kept him in.

Like I said, I would rather he stay in with Covid, he's been living it for 18 months and if I were able to vote I would have kept him in.

Sure. I just think it's weird that we're judging people with power that way (and it's not just you--that's the primary approach of probably most people here). He makes extraordinarily consequential decisions, and they've generally been very good ones, while his replacement should he lose (Elder) is a complete loon. It would have really devastating effects on real people to make the replacement. We're not talking about a reality show.

Voted no on recall. Not a big fan of newsom but
there are no good candidates running with any experience rin recall and nothing needs to be done now that cannot wait until a normal election coming up.

I used to like Larry Elders show years ago. He had a good radio show with a libertarian bend but it deteriorated when he switched and became a Republican and then it became us vs them. Probably got more listeners but I lost interest.

Back