Elections Californians

Any reason why the Democrat supermajority and governorship couldn't change this absolutely unfair rule?

It's not unfair; it's just dumb. Incentivizes frivolous recalls by the loser party and makes an undemocratic outcome more likely. I agree with you that after Newsom wins, the state should fix the process. I also agree that it's silly (and dishonest) to claim that it's anything but a naked power grab.

You’re not even American. Go away.

American society can’t stay healthy and properly move forward when tens of millions of people deny reality. I don’t know what else you want me to say about it.

You're in the same category as 'doomsday' right wing crazies with your outlook on life. It's not healthy. America has major political problems that Trump exacerbated but you're idea that America can't go on is objectively wrong.

It's not unfair; it's just dumb. Incentivizes frivolous recalls by the loser party and makes an undemocratic outcome more likely. I agree with you that after Newsom wins, the state should fix the process. I also agree that it's silly (and dishonest) to claim that it's anything but a naked power grab.

I don't think it's unfair...sarcasm doesn't translate well via text.

My point was that the Democrats have had plenty of time to change the rule and haven't. Why not?

My point was that the Democrats have had plenty of time to change the rule and haven't. Why not?
Just go to any democrat web page and paste whatever it says into your question. Cut out the middle man.

liberal left and tolerance

william-burroughs.gif

liberal left and tolerance

If the recall fails and some still buy into the current Governor promises. Well the Governor did just ban oil and gas vehicles. I wonder how well that will work out?

Buying EVS is going to get very expensive.

First time I got to vote in CA. Voted no. There's virtually nothing that Larry Elder promotes that I agree with.

[
Nah, I don't think you are correct. I just read 53% of counties allow it. And the real funny thing is, OC is listed as not allowing it.....yet you can't drive more than 5 miles in OC without driving by a dispensary.

Maybe you are talking growing it. But, it looks like the majority of CA counties do in fact, allow the sell of it.
that was such a small part of my point, its funny that you would nitpick that particular statistic, whether it is a majority or 47%, or whatever , hardly matters. The point is that millions of californians dont have access to local dispensaries despite the legalization bill , because counties are allowed to opt-out…. Also, the rest of the issues i listed are still a thing. Prop 64 was the worst thing to happen to producers and consumers.

Last edited:
Bullshit. The numbers have continued to climb dramatically since he took office. There was a 16% spike in 2019 before any of this pandemic shit happened.

And then the post-pandemic numbers were pretty muted. Obviously one wouldn't expect immediate impacts. I think reasonably (assuming your goal is to get things right rather than just political messaging bullshit), you start with a qualitative analysis, and then you start moving toward a more quantitative look as time passes.

They didn't prioritize it. That's kind of tautologous, but I don't think the system is defensible on its merits so it just comes down to that. I agree that they've generally as a party been slow to appreciate what's happened to the GOP (witness also the failure to fix the filibuster, among other manifestations of that oversight). Trump illustrated how you can't rely on gentlemanly behavior from the right.

First time I got to vote in CA. Voted no. There's virtually nothing that Larry Elder promotes that I agree with.

That's too bad. I guess we can continue down this road of failure created by Democrats and Newsom.
  • Fathers in Homes
  • Legalization of Marijuana - Reduction of restrictions from current law
  • Pro Choice - Who knew a "Republican" would think this way?
  • Mental Health Care for Homeless - New Homeless facilities
  • Reduction in Foreign Defense Forces and anti-War
  • Improve Californians Aquifers
  • Not closing Diablo Canyon Nuclear Plant in 2024 with a current energy shortage
  • Ending the Welfare State
  • Parents over Teachers' Unions - School Choice

You are against all of these?

Do I want him out? Sure. Is there a better alternative? I really can't say.

Dems go hard on impeaching Trump and then use the "waste of time/money + threat to our democracy" when people want to recall Newsom.

I don't know if it's relevant because he's not getting recalled

I have lived in Cali since the 80s. Will be voting for Elder. Funny thing is when California was republican it was flourishing and in songs like Mamas and Papas California Dreaming. People were dying to live in California. Now it's an exodus with everyone who can afford to leave doing so. Even my rich liberal friends wanna move to Texas and dont see their own hypocrisy in doing so

Democrats and liberals have been running Cali for decades now. If their ideas were so successful it wouldnt look like a third world country now. We should be flourishing as a state. Also lol whenever people bring up how much money the state produces. I promise you it goes to all the elite and the rats stay in the rat zone. I'd go as far as to say California is hard evidence of the delusional fantasies the left has of the government fixing all their problems.

This doesnt mean Republicans are the answer to me however it's clear people vote democrat hoping for hand me outs which invite more hand me out type people and then you get this vicious cycle. In fact the down fall of America is here because of the hand me out crowd v the you have to earn it crowd. Granted medical health care is not something I think should be earned.

And then the post-pandemic numbers were pretty muted. Obviously one wouldn't expect immediate impacts. I think reasonably (assuming your goal is to get things right rather than just political messaging bullshit), you start with a qualitative analysis, and then you start moving toward a more quantitative look as time passes.
Excuse me, you tried to make the case that Newsom shouldn't be held responsible for the homeless crisis in California, yet in the second year of his term we saw the largest increase in homeless population in history at a massive 16% increase. Even at half that in the following year that is still a terrible number, it's still increasing. Come talk to me when we see a negative number.

Go take a trip to San Francisco to see what Newsom has accomplished with the homeless issue there. His track record is absolutely abysmal. He ruined that city and he's doing it to the state now.

I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life, since the early 80's. I've seen this happen first hand.

Jebus, 76% of ballots haven't been returned yet. Republicans could pull this off simply based on classic perfunctory nature of democratic voters; especially in anything other than a federal vote.

Excuse me, you tried to make the case that Newsom shouldn't be held responsible for the homeless crisis in California, yet in the second year of his term we saw the largest increase in homeless population in history at a massive 16% increase. Even at half that in the following year that is still a terrible number, it's still increasing. Come talk to me when we see a negative number.

Well, I pointed out that it has absolutely nothing to do with him, as it long predates him even coming into office, and that he's taking real steps toward fixing it (which involves fixing the housing shortage in the state, particularly in a few desirable areas). And then I pointed out that if we want to be accurate, the way we'd judge policy is first on how reasonable it is as a solution to the problems its trying to address, and then over time, as we expect it to have an impact, on the numbers. This is kind of a consistent thing that people get wrong with politicians (like looking at the president's impact by judging stuff from when he takes office). Not really Newsom-specific. He's already made a lot of good decisions on the issue, and we'll see the impact as things play out.

Go take a trip to San Francisco to see what Newsom has accomplished with the homeless issue there. His track record is absolutely abysmal. He ruined that city and he's doing it to the state now.

Again, it's silly to say that construction in SF is constrained by Newsom. NIMBYs are the issue, and that's often at the hyperlocal level. Newsom's been fighting them for his whole career (we can argue about whether he's fought hard enough or done everything he can to beat them, but he's one of the few prominent local politicians who has been consistently on the right side of the issue).

I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life, since the early 80's. I've seen this happen first hand.

I've also been here a while (not quite as long as you), but with all due respect, you don't learn about the impact of policy or the cause of economic issues by looking around.

Back