Can a human be able to run 100m in less than nine seconds one day?

Can a human be able to run 100m in less than nine seconds one day?

• Yes it will happen one day.

• No it will never happen.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Usain Bolt is like the perfectly built specimen for a sprint runner.

Before Usain Bolt nobody would have called 6'5" 207 lb "the perfectly built specimen for a sprint runner", so who knows what that really is? I don't see any reason why 9 seconds can't be broken some day. Now that we see what taller sprinters are capable of, we'll start to see far more of them lining up in the generations to come.

Before Usain Bolt nobody would have called 6'5" 207 lb "the perfectly built specimen for a sprint runner", so who knows what that really is?

There have been other sprinters that were tall but none had even close to the turnover of Bolt. Just remember, they wanted to make him a 400m runner when he was a junior.

Ahhh, not really.

TLDR : Lots of reasons for times coming down across the board have to do with changes in courses (synthetic track surfaces versus cinders and clay), new techniques (flip in swimming when doing lanes, rather than a normal turn around), and new technology (better shoes, better swimwear, lighter equipment such as bicycles). Also he speaks about how people with specific body types are being attracted to specific sports and events.

Even if that is true, is not going to change, equipment is going to be getting better, nutrition will be getting better, people will discover how to adapt different body types to sports.

Also population is getting bigger and bigger, talent pool is much larger than it was in the 30s.

Before Usain Bolt nobody would have called 6'5" 207 lb "the perfectly built specimen for a sprint runner", so who knows what that really is? I don't see any reason why 9 seconds can't be broken some day. Now that we see what taller sprinters are capable of, we'll start to see far more of them lining up in the generations to come.

Pretty much, before Bolt conventional wisdom was that somebody that size couldn't be competitive in the 100 meters because they wouldn't be able to get up to speed quickly enough out of the blocks. I mean even Bolt was never the best starter but he was good enough to not be greatly disadvantaged by it.

Its up in the air as to whether Bolt was a bit of a freak to be able to do that or not, you've had a few taller guys like Zharnel Hughes come though but it does mostly seem to still be guys around 5 foot 10 who are involved. You could argue I spose with the US being such a big player in sprinting that the pull of the NBA to taller men is a factor in what sport gets chosen.

Oh shit Wayde van Niekerk. Speaking of freaks of freaks, the only person in history to run Sub 10, sub 20 and sub 44.

Not anymore...

Norman (36):
100m - 9.86 (20th)
200m - 19.70 (12th)
400m - 43.45 (4th)

Kerley (85):
100m - 9.86 (20th)
200m - 19.90 (57th)
400m - 43.64 (8th)

Van Niekerk (108):
100m - 9.94 (73rd)
200m - 19.84 (34th)
400m - 43.03 (1st)

Last edited:
The world population was more than 3x larger when Bolt set the current 100m WR, than when Owens set his last 100m WR.

Also, Bolt's 100m record was set more than 11 years ago and he's 0.11s faster than the next best.
I would bet a significant amount of money that it will last over 15 years.

Some records just don't get broken, from men's Olympic athletics events, the oldest current WRs and the guys most likely to break them by all-time rank:
  1. Discus (1986) - 4th Stahl
  2. Hammer (1986) - 20th Winkler
  3. Long Jump (1991) - 10th Gayle
  4. High Jump (1993) - 6th Lysenko
  5. 4x400m Relay (1993) - 11th USA

Last edited:
All it takes is the perfect storm of genetic mutation and you've got an 8.9 100m sprinter.
I think we could get there with genetic engineering. It will probably be the chinese who create the first super soldier with genetically engineered DNA.

Dont know if we will be capable of that...but about the evolving argument
Epstein brings up a lot of good points, but he's also an idiot who tried to argue that Jesse Owens would have been as fast as Usain Bolt given the same equipment, so take anything he says with a grain of salt, because that's laughably ignorant.
I dont find that implausible at all...dont know if he would beat bolt...but he could be winnig medals in big events....keep in mind that owens with his long jump mark of 1935 would do very well in modern competions..didnt look at it al lot, but for example in London 2012 he would get the bronze medal...so image him with modern footwear, modern surfaces, food suplements, and better training (I mean he even had a job while competing if im not mistaken) that would represent a huuuge boost to his marks.

Dont know if we will be capable of that...but about the evolving argument

I dont find that implausible at all...dont know if he would beat bolt...but he could be winnig medals in big events....keep in mind that owens with his long jump mark of 1935 would do very well in modern competions..didnt look at it al lot, but for example in London 2012 he would get the bronze medal...so image him with modern footwear, modern surfaces, food suplements, and better training (I mean he even had a job while competing if im not mistaken) that would represent a huuuge boost to his marks.
No, Owens fastest legal time was a 10.3, not a 10.2. Even back then they understood wind adjustment (which is why I cheekily alluded to Boling's 10.00).

Now bear in mind that Owens was hand-timed. There's a reason we don't compare those old hand-timed 40 times. Just look at the Olympic swimming events. There's a difference in the reaction times of 0.2s in Olympic-caliber athletes. Meanwhile, those same hand timers can track the person into the finish, so there is no reaction delay. As I discussed in past threads, as we know from sports like swimming which have measured this, the average time gained is usually 0.15-0.30 seconds. So Owens time is more like a 10.5.

Now keep in mind this debate isn't about Owens being afforded modern training or nutrition or drugs. That Russian lady did what she did with the same sophistication of training that everyone else had in her time. No, in this hypothetical, we're talking about snatching Owens from his time, and transporting him to a modern track, then throwing on modern running shoes. That's it.

You believe that ~10.5 becomes a 9.58? Get real. Just think about it. His raw time is barely faster than the women today. He's closer to the women than he is to the boy's USA winning national high school 100m time on any given year.

For a long time, no one could run under 10 seconds. The WR holder 80 years ago probably wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics today.

People evolve.
Over hundreds of thousands of years, yes.

Mark my word China will have the first person to reach that mark. They will use CRSPER to create ultimate specimen for Olympics glory

Mark my word China will have the first person to reach that mark. They will use CRSPER to create ultimate specimen for Olympics glory

They already gave us Covid, anything is possible!

Jokes aside I don´t think anyone would look at Bolt and figure he had the perfect body for the 100M as OP stated

maybe if usain bolt and shelly ann fraser pryce had a baby...

Under 9 seconds lmao y'all on crack if you think that's remotely possible

Crispr and superior PEDs might get us there at some point, but in the short/mid term I'd say no.

For a long time, no one could run under 10 seconds. The WR holder 80 years ago probably wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics today.

People evolve.

That's not how evolution works. For people to "evolve" to be faster, being fast would have to be a major survival advantage, and you'd need dozens of generations (at least) of selection for that advantage.

Sports evolve, people learn more and train better, but there's a limit. In the last 30 years there's only been a little over 1 second shaved off of the 1 mile record.

No... Bolt's record alone will be extremely hard to beat.

That's not how evolution works. For people to "evolve" to be faster, being fast would have to be a major survival advantage, and you'd need dozens of generations (at least) of selection for that advantage.

Sports evolve, people learn more and train better, but there's a limit. In the last 30 years there's only been a little over 1 second shaved off of the 1 mile record.

I'm not talking biological evolution obviously. Sports evolve too.

People evolve.

That isn't true. Jesse Owen's times on a dirt track are still competitive.

Back