Can a woman DB bench 67 lbs each arms for reps without steroids?

I'm a manlet with smaller arms than that and I was doing 60lb+ at 12 reps before I bought a proper barbell and rack.

I see a lot of people on the internet who think you can't curl more than 30lbs or bench more than a 100 without being 6' 6'" or on drugs. It's because their favorite instagrammers and youtube personalities use roids and play with 20lb dumbbells exclusively. Or they think P90x will get you looking like a competition ready bodybuilder and the program limits you to low weights.

I'm a manlet with smaller arms than that and I was doing 60lb+ at 12 reps before I bought a proper barbell and rack.

But if you're a man your "strength potential" is way highter than her and may she is as strong as you was
I already see the same girl doing 60lbs for 12 reps too and she told she could hit 65lbs for 10 reps

But if you're a man your "strength potential" is way highter than her and may she is as strong as you was
I already see the same girl doing 60lbs for 12 reps too and she told she could hit 65lbs for 10 reps
Do you prefer this girl before or after?
u06ujjhhvyx41.jpg

Do you prefer this girl before or after?
u06ujjhhvyx41.jpg
Wood both, but in different ways. Can't rail out a thin girl the same way as a jacked goliath.

As for the actual thread question lol....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if my fiancee hits a 65 - 70 lbs Flat DB Press within a year of training (assuming the gyms open up soon). I genuinely believe that females are A LOT stronger than we give them credit for. The biggest issue seems to be that the vast majority of girls are satisfied lifting the tiniest dumbbells possible, and spend more time doing stuff on stability balls, abs and random hip machines than actually getting stronger.

Compare that to the guys who typically just want to max out all the time lol. At least they're trying to get stronger.

Obviously not saying that the average girl can get as strong as the average guy, but they can get a hell of a lot stronger than they think they can.

Wood both, but in different ways. Can't rail out a thin girl the same way as a jacked goliath.

As for the actual thread question lol....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if my fiancee hits a 65 - 70 lbs Flat DB Press within a year of training (assuming the gyms open up soon). I genuinely believe that females are A LOT stronger than we give them credit for. The biggest issue seems to be that the vast majority of girls are satisfied lifting the tiniest dumbbells possible, and spend more time doing stuff on stability balls, abs and random hip machines than actually getting stronger.

Compare that to the guys who typically just want to max out all the time lol. At least they're trying to get stronger.

Obviously not saying that the average girl can get as strong as the average guy, but they can get a hell of a lot stronger than they think they can.

I don't know, I know many women that lift heavy with the goal of improve increasingly on their upper body and after years they don't get even close of these weights. I follow strong women on Instagram who couldn't handle these weights for years.
Cass Martin is a bodybuilder than probably take steroids and trains very hard for years. She struggles to complete five reps at 70 db pounds

Vilma Olsson, 70 kg profesional powerlifter hit 67 pounds for 11 reps (I think the OP girl could too)

The OP girl is a amateur but seems how her db bench is in a elite level of her weight class. I think most women would to take years and years to get there if they started from zero

Yes, but you're essentially the equivalent of a steroid user in comparison to a natural woman. 60 pound dumbbell press is definitely a much bigger deal for a woman. I know a couple women who are natural and dumbbell press around that much, but they are exceptionally strong, especially relative to the average woman.

Its doable, absolutely, but it is also definitely impressive.

I don't know, I know many women that lift heavy with the goal of improve increasingly on their upper body and after years they don't get even close of these weights. I follow strong women on Instagram who couldn't handle these weights for years.
Cass Martin is a bodybuilder than probably take steroids and trains very hard for years. She struggles to complete five reps at 70 db pounds

Vilma Olsson, 70 kg profesional powerlifter hit 67 pounds for 11 reps (I think the OP girl could too)

The OP girl is a amateur but seems how her db bench is in a elite level of her weight class. I think most women would to take years and years to get there if they started from zero

Lifting is so interesting this way. My female friend whom I have mentioned a few times in this thread, is certainly elite in her squatting and in some other areas of strength (she doesn't compete but could certainly be very successful if she did and won a "most reps relative to bodyweight" contest at the Arnold's last year and another one at her local gym). But her bench press, though certainly stronger than most women of her diminutive stature, is definitely not elite. I was basically her designated spotter, so I knew her numbers well, and while she could rep 135 fairly well, she never broke 185. So it was a strong bench, but not elite.

On the other hand, I've seen her go as high as 70-75 pounds on the dumbbell press for reps (normally she's more in the 60-65 range). She's under 5' and 140 at the heaviest, but probably more like 125-130 and her dumbbell press is just about the best I've seen a woman pull off in person. And yet on the bench, she's been stuck for years repping 135-155. And that's good, but plenty of women--among those that are dedicated lifters--can do that.

Lifting is funny that way.

I actually agree with you overall. I just think that the talent pool of women who lift intensely enough to actually gain significant strength is still so low. As a result, it's not a reach to say that what we perceive as "the upper end of female strength" is still well below the female potential. Personally, my fiancee is aiming for a bodyweight *Standing* Dumbbell Press in a year's time, which would mean pressing the 65 lbs or 70 lbs Dumbbells.

For what it's worth, I also believe the male potential is much higher than what we believe too. Strength sports are still extremely niche, and the best "strength" athletes in the US go into football. Just look at a guy like Julius Maddox coming out of nowhere and setting a new raw Bench record with 770 (and possibly 800 soon). If Powerlifting was as popular in the US as the NFL, we would've had a raw 800 Bench and 1200 Squat a long time ago.

Lifting is so interesting this way. My female friend whom I have mentioned a few times in this thread, is certainly elite in her squatting and in some other areas of strength (she doesn't compete but could certainly be very successful if she did and won a "most reps relative to bodyweight" contest at the Arnold's last year and another one at her local gym). But her bench press, though certainly stronger than most women of her diminutive stature, is definitely not elite. I was basically her designated spotter, so I knew her numbers well, and while she could rep 135 fairly well, she never broke 185. So it was a strong bench, but not elite.

On the other hand, I've seen her go as high as 70-75 pounds on the dumbbell press for reps (normally she's more in the 60-65 range). She's under 5' and 140 at the heaviest, but probably more like 125-130 and her dumbbell press is just about the best I've seen a woman pull off in person. And yet on the bench, she's been stuck for years repping 135-155. And that's good, but plenty of women--among those that are dedicated lifters--can do that.

Lifting is funny that way.

Has she instagram? 70 pouns in DB press at 5' and 140 is just impressive

No I don't think there are woman that can bench 140's without steroids lol. Sorry buddy. I was 255 with 22 inch arms after 5 years of straight heavy weight training, and I got up to 130's 6 times without steroids, and then (I didn't need them and they set me back) 10-11 with some months of steroids. I was about 6-foot 262 with a 39 inch waist. EDIT: At a later time, I could do similar DB weights after getting down to 235-240.

I worked in gyms for years and years and never saw a women approach what you claimed.
You sound weak

I actually agree with you overall. I just think that the talent pool of women who lift intensely enough to actually gain significant strength is still so low. As a result, it's not a reach to say that what we perceive as "the upper end of female strength" is still well below the female potential. Personally, my fiancee is aiming for a bodyweight *Standing* Dumbbell Press in a year's time, which would mean pressing the 65 lbs or 70 lbs Dumbbells.

For what it's worth, I also believe the male potential is much higher than what we believe too. Strength sports are still extremely niche, and the best "strength" athletes in the US go into football. Just look at a guy like Julius Maddox coming out of nowhere and setting a new raw Bench record with 770 (and possibly 800 soon). If Powerlifting was as popular in the US as the NFL, we would've had a raw 800 Bench and 1200 Squat a long time ago.

I totally agree with you in paragraph, but I see many guys that try to lift heavy taking more than a one year to bench as heavy as OP girl (starting from zero)

Why do you're so sure that your fiance is going to reach this standing weight in only a year? How heavy is she?

Has she instagram? 70 pouns in DB press at 5' and 140 is just impressive
She does, but I'm not sure if she'd want me to give it out or not. Her most impressive lift sure is her squat, she's somewhere in the low 300's. I don't work out at the same gym as her anymore, but she got 315 on the squat when I used to spot her all the time.

I was basically her designated spotter, so I knew her numbers well, and while she could rep 135 fairly well, she never broke 185. So it was a strong bench, but not elite.

I think it's expected that a woman can bench 60-65 pounds can't to barbell bench 185 pounds
It's more equivalent to 170 barbell bench pounds IMO

I totally agree with you in paragraph, but I see many guys that try to lift heavy taking more than a one year to bench as heavy as OP girl (starting from zero)

Why do you're so sure that your fiance is going to reach this standing weight in only a year? How heavy is she?
She was 159lbs this Feb, but is down to 139lbs now. She's not really on a diet. She's just eating better while also training to get stronger. But her weight is still trending downward.

As for why I'm confident:

- She's been naturally strong her entire life, and has been complimented by guys for her strength many times. She's definitely a natural athlete.

- Her progress so far has been awesome. She only started training 2.5 months ago, and in that time she got her Standing DB Press from the 5 lbs dumbbells to the 25 lbs dumbbells. Her DB Row also went from the 10 lbs DBs to the 35 lbs DBs (clean reps, I make sure her back is doing the work each rep and she's not cheating. Also, these 35 lbs DBs are adjustable and much closer to 40 lbs).

Also, she couldn't train all of April because she got sick from the coronavirus, so it's really only been 1.5 months of training for her. Obviously linear progression has a limit, but a 65 lbs Standing DB Press for 1 rep doesn't seem *that* crazy of a goal considering she's only been training with limited equipment in my basement so far (so no real assistance exercises).

She was 159lbs this Feb, but is down to 139lbs now. She's not really on a diet. She's just eating better while also training to get stronger. But her weight is still trending downward.

As for why I'm confident:

- She's been naturally strong her entire life, and has been complimented by guys for her strength many times. She's definitely a natural athlete.

- Her progress so far has been awesome. She only started training 2.5 months ago, and in that time she got her Standing DB Press from the 5 lbs dumbbells to the 25 lbs dumbbells. Her DB Row also went from the 10 lbs DBs to the 35 lbs DBs (clean reps, I make sure her back is doing the work each rep and she's not cheating. Also, these 35 lbs DBs are adjustable and much closer to 40 lbs).

Also, she couldn't train all of April because she got sick from the coronavirus, so it's really only been 1.5 months of training for her. Obviously linear progression has a limit, but a 65 lbs Standing DB Press for 1 rep doesn't seem *that* crazy of a goal considering she's only been training with limited equipment in my basement so far (so no real assistance exercises).

I got it, but the level of 67 lbs discussed is of the OP girl - 8 reps or more. One rep only I believe many women can reach in one year (if they was already athletic as your fiance). It's not that impressive if they works really hard
I think a progress of 25 lbs dumbbells to 67 in one year is too abrupt for bench (especially considering that women's strength progress is way slower)

Last edited:

There are no professional powerlifters.

Back