Can AJ simply pay his mandatories to step aside?

alonso

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'll be guided by the older heads. Can he just pay them to go away so he can fight the winner of Wilder/Fury in the summer?

I'll be guided by the older heads. Can he just pay them to go away so he can fight the winner of Wilder/Fury in the summer?
It’s possible but fury / wilder have a third fight signed anyway So he might as well fight a mandatory

oh man that's annoying. As much as I enjoyed the first Wilder Fury fight i'd much rather see Joshua/Wilder than a 3rd fight right away.
It’s possible but fury / wilder have a third fight signed anyway So he might as well fight a mandatory

If you're a fighter, step-aside money is always the right way to go. You basically get paid for doing nothing. Then you eventually get the title shot. So it's kind of like a double dip.

If you're a fighter, step-aside money is always the right way to go. You basically get paid for doing nothing. Then you eventually get the title shot. So it's kind of like a double dip.
Yeah you don’t loose your shot just get paid for moving back in the line

oh man that's annoying. As much as I enjoyed the first Wilder Fury fight i'd much rather see Joshua/Wilder than a 3rd fight right away.
The disrespect you’re showing Fury

Lmao. Its reached a point where I need to actually see someone survive 12 rounds with Wilder or engage him in a firefight and ko him in the exchange to believe it can happen. I know how vastly superior Fury is technically but that Ortiz one hitter just blew me away.
The disrespect you’re showing Fury

It's up to the two other parties involved, that is, whichever sanctioning body the mandatory is under (WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO) has to approve it and obviously the mandatory opponent has to be willing to step aside. Usually it's not a problem because the mandatory gets paid six figures to not have to fight and get to keep their spot in line.

Some mandatories have even been offered lucrative multi-fight deals rather than money in exchange for stepping aside (Eleider Alvarez comes to mind). The mandatory doesn't go away they'll be temporarily deferred so that a more significant fight can be made in its place.

It's up to the two other parties involved, that is, whichever sanctioning body the mandatory is under (WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO) has to approve it and obviously the mandatory opponent has to be willing to step aside. Usually it's not a problem because the mandatory gets paid six figures to not have to fight and get to keep their spot in line.

Some mandatories have even been offered lucrative multi-fight deals rather than money in exchange for stepping aside (Eleider Alvarez comes to mind). The mandatory doesn't go away they'll be temporarily deferred so that a more significant fight can be made in its place.
really hope it happens

that Ortiz one hitter just blew me away.
It was just a short right hand. Pretty textbook.

Not even his best ko of 2019...he nearly decapitated Breazeale

really hope it happens
In AJ's case, since he holds three major world titles, he'll have a mandatory belonging to each organization. I don't think he'll be willing to pay that much (potentially upwards of a few million) to have them all step aside as they're called/ordered. That would be expensive and it's basically flushing money down the toilet for a quick reprieve multiplied by three.

We've seen unified titleholders drop one or more of their titles because their mandatories were piling up and limiting the flexibility of their schedule and due to the added expense involved (sanctioning fees per fight, per organization, multiplied by the number of titles held).

Last edited:
It's probably not a smart move to pay not one but two people to step aside when there is far from a guarantee that he even can make a fight with the winner anyway. He's better off focusing on knocking Pulev and Usyk out than sitting around waiting for Wilder or Fury.

Last edited:
Lmao. Its reached a point where I need to actually see someone survive 12 rounds with Wilder or engage him in a firefight and ko him in the exchange to believe it can happen. I know how vastly superior Fury is technically but that Ortiz one hitter just blew me away.
Fury survived Wilder once

Unless you are Dillian Whyte, then the WBC just moves you back and gives someone else a shot before you.

It doesn’t look like it. I’m fact it looks like he’ll have to relinquish 1 of them

It was just a short right hand. Pretty textbook.

Not even his best ko of 2019...he nearly decapitated Breazeale

that’s one of his best ko’s through his whole career imo. That would’ve knocked fury out. Fair fckin play to breezy for even getting close to standing up

another ref would have counted him out or waved the fight off. He did well to get back up but I'm not so sure he can do it again.
Another ref would’ve stopped Wilder/Ortiz 1, semantics

Back