Can AJ simply pay his mandatories to step aside?

Im okay with that, Whyte licks ass hairs smh. Although it would be nice to see him get slept.
Yeah because Breazeale was much more deserving of a shot at Wilder and had such a good chance of winning.

That fight was like 5 years ago and before he popped for PEDs by the way. I'd argue there's plenty of HWs who have way better resumés than Ortiz and haven't been around for as long or just as long. Ortiz also looked terrible against Christian Hammer.
If Joshua had fought Ortiz when he was 28-0 there's no way Brits would be constantly shitting him.

If Joshua had fought Ortiz when he was 28-0 there's no way Brits would be constantly shitting him.
But Ortiz has literally beaten nobody decent apart from Jennings. He's been built up to be this monster that Wilder slayed but there is no actual proof of it. I think it would be good for everyone if someone rated in the top ten fought Ortiz. A fight with Whyte, Parker, Ruiz, Povetkin or Pulev vs Ortiz would be good as a marker. If Ortiz beats any of those guys then he is legit as a top HW boxer. But atm we haven't seen anything that can give us a comparison against any of those guys.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't put it in AJs top 5 wins. I'd put it below Parker, Whyte, Povetkin, Wlad, and Ruiz. Just my personal opinion though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't put it in AJs top 5 wins. I'd put it below Parker, Whyte, Povetkin, Wlad, and Ruiz. Just my personal opinion though.
It'd be about equal to Povetkin....but fwiw i hold Povetkin much lower than most. He is ass imo.

It'd be about equal to Povetkin....but fwiw i hold Povetkin much lower than most. He is ass imo.
Yeah, I think that's up for debate and close to call. I'd say Povetkin has the better resume, but then again Povetkin also struggled with David Price.

True story
Many of the same Wilder haters on here were saying that Wilder was going to get destroyed by Ortiz before the first fight.
Ortiz resume was weak because many considered his vast amount of amateur experience very dangerous for a group of heavyweights that had little experience and started boxing late in life.
Some of it is the Cuban amateur system hype.
He was avoided because he was the definition of a high risk low reward fight.
He was considered the 2nd most skilled guy behind Wlad.

All this litterally changed when Wilder decisively proved he was better than Ortiz in the 1st fight.
Then after the rematch it was "Ortiz was never my friend." Then magically he wasn't the boogeyman of the division or even a good name on his resume.

He’s done nothing in his career to show he’s any better than the rest of the top 10. He’s beaten nobody. And his best years were before he gut busted. Add to that he’s over 40.

He’s a good win for wilder, without doubt his best. but I’m sure quite a few of us on here aren’t gonna blow smoke up the arse of a fighter that is a proven cheat, that hasn’t beaten 1 top 10 fighter in his whole career

At 28-0 I’d probably put him in his top 5 wins. He wasn’t a middle aged fighter back then. Him and povetkin have lost a fair bit in the last few years. And both of them looked better in the juice

Guessing Usyk wouldn't hate some step aside money while he's trying to bulk up a bit.

Just give the fight to Pulev! I don't think Pulev has much of a shot, despite being the GOAT of course, but dude has been waiting patiently for his shot. He is near the end of his career and deserves the payday.

He is 8-0 since the Wlad loss.

Just give the fight to Pulev! I don't think Pulev has much of a shot, despite being the GOAT of course, but dude has been waiting patiently for his shot. He is near the end of his career and deserves the payday.

He is 8-0 since the Wlad loss.
They have tried giving it to him before twice, I think. Once was when Pulev pulled out with an injury and Takam stepped in, then they offered it to him when Miller pulled out but Pulev had that cut on his eye from the Dinu fight.

They have tried giving it to him before twice, I think. Once was when Pulev pulled out with an injury and Takam stepped in, then they offered it to him when Miller pulled out but Pulev had that cut on his eye from the Dinu fight.

You are correct on both accounts. But I think Pulev took the Dinu fight as a stay busy fight because AJ and his team wanted a different fight for his US debut (Miller) and asked Pulev to step aside, probably gave him some cash. I could be wrong tho, too lazy to check on the googs.

You are correct on both accounts. But I think Pulev took the Dinu fight as a stay busy fight because AJ and his team wanted a different fight for his US debut (Miller) and asked Pulev to step aside, probably gave him some cash. I could be wrong tho, too lazy to check on the googs.
From what I've seen as well, I think Pulev wants to take a fight again before fighting AJ which seems a bit weird. If that happens then I guess AJ is being stripped of one of his belts as it's gonna take too long to meet the deadlines.

From what I've seen as well, I think Pulev wants to take a fight again before fighting AJ which seems a bit weird. If that happens then I guess AJ is being stripped of one of his belts as it's gonna take too long to meet the deadlines.

it would be wack to strip AJ for what Pulev wants. Also dumb of Pulev to risk yet another injury/cut, just take your damn money and retire!

it would be wack to strip AJ for what Pulev wants. Also dumb of Pulev to risk yet another injury/cut, just take your damn money and retire!
According to Arum, AJ's gonna be the one to retire after Pulev KOs him.

Plus there's always the chance the champ slips on a banana peel and shows up with nothing

Then all the sudden you've doubled or tripled your entire life's earnings in the span of about 6 months with those 2 fights....ask Ruiz

According to Arum, AJ's gonna be the one to retire after Pulev KOs him.

Plus there's always the chance the champ slips on a banana peel and shows up with nothing

Then all the sudden you've doubled or tripled your entire life's earnings in the span of about 6 months with those 2 fights....ask Ruiz

Well to be honest, after the first Ruiz fight, nothing would surprise me. I would pick AJ for sure, but Pulev is technically sound, has a good jab, and can counter fairly well. He did get KOed in only the 5th vs Wlad, but he DID land some decent shots on Wlad, better than anyone for quite a while before and after, until AJ. Landed some better shots than even Fury.

Even in the second Ruiz fight, AJ did get tagged a couple times and reacted to being hit very poorly. Pulev could make it happen, and if AJ takes another loss, I bet he would retire lol (I would also, with all that money)

Well to be honest, after the first Ruiz fight, nothing would surprise me. I would pick AJ for sure, but Pulev is technically sound, has a good jab, and can counter fairly well. He did get KOed in only the 5th vs Wlad, but he DID land some decent shots on Wlad, better than anyone for quite a while before and after, until AJ. Landed some better shots than even Fury.

Even in the second Ruiz fight, AJ did get tagged a couple times and reacted to being hit very poorly. Pulev could make it happen, and if AJ takes another loss, I bet he would retire lol (I would also, with all that money)
People have kinda made a meme of Pulev but he honestly is a sound boxer for hw. He has a lot of experience over many years. That is certainly to be respected by someone like AJ.

But i think Pulev stylistically is a good matchup for AJ. He's not going to try to get up in the clinch and blindside you like Ruiz, that to me is where Joshua was in danger last month. Pulev wouldn't be able to have that explosiveness that was threatening AJ.

Pulev would basically have to be flawless to even make it a questionable decision vs AJ, Ruiz was able to make it a fight due to his physical attributes and sneaky quickness.

Back