Can BJ Penn be considered one of the hardest P4P hitters in MMA history?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Prime BJ isn't known for his stopping power. But it seems that no matter what weight class he's fighting against, he manages to hurt or bloody his opponents even if he ends up losing. Even 220 lb Machida had to respect his striking.

So considering that BJ was a natural featherweight who had the muscle mass and reach of a 135er, how in the world did he maintain power so far up the scale? And does this make him one of the hardest hitting P4P?

This may also be a testament to how much MMA has evolved. Back in the day, BJ was able to hurt and KO all-time great welterweights. But nowadays, Conor doesn't seem like he has enough power for 170, even though he tore through 145. The sport has changed.

Last edited:
He had great timing which added to his power. Much like Conor. When he hurt Hughes and finished him it was a shock!

He had great timing which added to his power. Much like Conor. When he hurt Hughes and finished him it was a shock!

I read somewhere that it was scientifically confirmed that BJ Penn had one of the fastest reaction times of any fighter

I mean you didn't have to be a scientist to figure that out but nice to know.

Marinovich Penn... Oh, if only that had lasted. So much talent wasted.
Dude had speed, power, technique, flexibility, precision, great instincts, iron chin, and at that point also cardio and a reasonable physique.
Could've been GOAT or up there.

Marinovich Penn... Oh, if only that had lasted. So much talent wasted.
Dude had speed, power, technique, flexibility, precision, great instincts, iron chin, and at that point also cardio and a reasonable physique.
Could've been GOAT or up there.

With proper diet, training, and mental discipline, he would easily make 135 and he'd be champ today if he had been born later.

With a lack of strong wrestlers in BW, his combination of TDD and power would be a nightmare for anyone in the division.

It's still crazy to think about how hard fighters work today and never get close to UFC gold while BJ Penn literally trolled his way into multiple championships. Probably ate like shit and trained on and off.

BJ really reminds me of the movie Amadeus, where Mozart the young prodigy was able to casually overcome the older guys who had been studying and practicing their whole life. And like Mozart, BJ's career died young.

With proper diet, training, and mental discipline, he would easily make 135 and he'd be champ today if he had been born later.

With a lack of strong wrestlers in BW, his combination of TDD and power would be a nightmare for anyone in the division.

It's still crazy to think about how hard fighters work today and never get close to UFC gold while BJ Penn literally trolled his way into multiple championships. Probably ate like shit and trained on and off.

BJ really reminds me of the movie Amadeus, where Mozart the young prodigy was able to casually overcome the older guys who had been studying and practicing their whole life. And like Mozart, BJ's career died young.

He looked like a twig at 145. By today's standards, IMO his optimal form would still probably be at 155 (after bulking some 10 or 15lbs, but he never liked cutting weight or bulking or working out at all).

I read somewhere that it was scientifically confirmed that BJ Penn had one of the fastest reaction times of any fighter

I mean you didn't have to be a scientist to figure that out but nice to know.

GSP said they studied tape frame by frame and found BJ was far quicker to react than anyone else including GSP. So they used a lot of feints because BJ’s reactions cost mental energy. It worked.

Hardest? Fuck no but his hands are probably the fastest at LW ever.

I don't know, but this guy had some power in his hands.
giphy.gif

Jarl

He looked like a twig at 145. By today's standards, IMO his optimal form would still probably be at 155 (after bulking some 10 or 15lbs, but he never liked cutting weight or bulking or working out at all).

Being a twig works at 145. If he had the mental discipline to do so he could've been shredded at 145. He's never been shredded in his life.

I don't care how good you were for a couple fight run, you can't have a 16-14 record and be considered a GOAT. One of the most overrated fighters of all time.

This isn't a GOAT thread. Read the OP.

This is a goofy argument. What does someone's record have to do with how hard they hit? Melvin Manhoef loses every other fight but he's still one of the hardest hitters of all time.

This.

Back