• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Can protein powder go bad? How can you tell?

James37

White Belt
Reaction score
I have 5 lbs tub of WPI protein powder that smells bad. I got it just a month ago. This is unflavored plain kind. It smells like crap. I live in a hot/dry climate (desert).

Can protein powder go bad?
How can we identify a bad protein powder?

do you keep it covered, do you keep it cool?

perhaps it's just the container itself that smells??

switch it into a different container, but ultimately I would taste it to see if there's any funk you can detect... if so then definitely toss it.

It's not the container. Expiration date is fine. I keep it outside, not in a cool place. Does it need to be refrigerated?

perhaps there's moisture in it and it's starting to turn... I would sift it out on in a wide baking pan or something, allow it to air out for a few hours and then transfer it in a new container. definitely keep the new container air tight and in the refrigerator as well from here on out. if there's still a smell to it after airing it out, then I'd just get a new one perhaps.

The protein is derived from milk and if you're in a hot and humid area, moisture can definitely turn the powder bad. I had to throw out some this weekend myself.

If you get any moisture in it whatsoever I would assume it would turn bad pretty quick.

A few times I have left a mostly empty shaker in the basement for a couple days after I had a shake, and let me tell you it stinks. Would imagine that a little humidity would not take long to ruin an entire bucket.

Can't think keeping it outside is a good idea, regardless if what kinda climate you live in.

My brother had some that smelled bad but he still used it, I think it was also already expired. He didn't get sick of it but I personally wouldn't take it if it smells nasty, food poisoning can be pretty bad.

if you aren't sure of it, then i would toss it. or if you are brave, then you can take a sample shake and then see how that works out for you. next time, leave the protein sealed tightly in a cool, shaded place. a closet works well.

It may not be that it's bad itself, as in expired, just a bad batch. Expired protein powders don't usually smell much different, maybe stale, but not a stink. And usually all you notice at first is the flavor system fades and it doesn't taste like anything. But a bad batch can be foul, definitely. There should be a lot # somewhere on the bottle, if you buy another one, don't get one from that same #.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsalaanx
Back