1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Can we all agree Usman is a superior WW to St. Pierre?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Matchup Discussion' started by LilNicky95, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Prologue in the pit

<{cruzshake}>

Wish you were right bro, and maybe that's how you feel. But feels like not too long ago all the same things being said about Usman were being said about Woodley. How he was all GOAT, unstoppable, and miles ahead of GSP, whether it be on here, or in the MMA media in general. Rolled my eyes every time I heard it then about Woodley, roll my eyes every time I hear it now about Usman.

Recency bias is pretty funny sometimes. Already people are talking about Ngannou as the new unstoppable GOAT, like he didn't lose a staring contest against Lewis.

<36>

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    dog y, Gregoire1 and suffersystem like this.
  2. Bork Neslar Brown Belt

Yeah, he's way better.

3. kenetics Gold Belt

Better chin? He was dropped and finished by a smaller fighter...

Bisping was the weakest 185lb champ ever in ufc. Kosheck was a lesser version than gsp skill wise.

Bj was way smaller that gsp and still almost beat him their first fight.

I'm a gsp fan too but I'm not blind .

4. mjfan23 Gold Belt

Foot stomp TKO! Lol

5. ThunderStruck Silver Belt

You should get banned for obviousy trolling.

6. DestinedAussie Purple Belt

We can't agree, but comparing era's is pretty much impossible. Training, techniques, diet and level of professionalism in UFC/MMA have dramatically trained. Most efficient techniques have been developed. Who knows how much better prime GSP would be in a modern era than the era he had his fights in.

7. Jack Bauer Green Belt

Prime GSP would exploit Usmans slow movements and present many problems. If Usman tries to bully him, GSP is the kind of guy who uses your aggression against you and then make you start hesitating. Usman may be able to bully a win, but no way it's not close. GSP would be a giant problem for anyone at 170.

8. AnotherOldGuy Black Belt

GIF too long, didn't watch.

9. LilNicky95 Yellow Card Yellow Card

10. ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

You know by definition occasionally the present bias "the champ is the division GOAT" people are going to right. It's like the boy who cried wolf one day the wolf is actually going to be there even if they're lying most of the time. People being wrong about Woodley(who did compare well to GSP he just got owned by a division that passed him by)doesn't mean they are wrong about Marty.

In a sport as young as this and where talent is still improving quite rapidly generation to generation division goats are going to be quite common. It won't always be this way but AT in goat is all time and if at is 30 years tops the chance the current champ is the greatest is going to be high.

11. Prologue in the pit

Usman has GOAT potential for sure, as do many champs. But many also get defeated not long after people place GOAT status on them. Even Max Holloway had this going on. I'd just like to see more time, for Usman and other champs, before we start giving them that kind of credit. I understand people are eager to get excited about the current champs, as well as the promotors, but in some ways it kind of cheapens the achievements of the fighters that really earned that GOAT cred.

Usman is definitely on the right path though.

12. ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

I think Volk is a generational talent who will reign for years. Him and Max are miles ahead of the rest of that division. Max's 13 fight win streak is becoming more common but it's still pretty fucking rare. Volk and Max are the 2 best UFC champs IMO as well as the only divisional GOATS(Ngannou is tricky cause Stipe beat him the first time pretty clearly).

13. Nova44 Brown Belt

You can always tell when people have been watching MMA for 5 minutes when they make threads like this.