Can we talk about overrated bands?

Gracious Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll start with some obvious ones and then you guys can fill in the rest.

Nirvana: Of all the overrated bands none is more overrated than these guys. Seriously, how do they get called one of the greatest ever? They have one good album and was only around for about 3 years. Every song is just simple power chord stuff with incoherent lyrics. If Cobain doesn't kill himself they'd be lucky to be considered a top 100 band.

Queen: They have 3 amazing songs. Every thing else Is either sub par or lame.

Foo fighters: the ultimate dad rock band. Their debut album was ok and everything else since then has gotten progressively worse. It's like they intentionally make music for suburban moms who need something to listen to when they drive to the mall to buy their husband a sweater. Some of the safest blandest shit you'll hear in your life.

Last edited:
I never liked Nirvana or Foo Fighters as much as most people did...but saying Queen had 3 songs that were better than subpar / lame is a bold statement. What are the three decent songs in your opinion?

I was never that big on Green Day, Blur or Oasis...but I think Weezer is a band that got substantially more acclaim and attention than necessary.

For some reason Lenny Kravitz and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have their shittiest songs become their biggest hits. They both have good stuff but then shit like Dani California and Fly Away become their signature songs.

I find it more fun to think about underrated and underappreciated bands though.

Last edited:
So many of those 70s-80s bands all sounded the same. Boston, Kansas, Foreigner, Journey, Styx, REO Shitwagon. Bleh.

I'll start with someone ipjs ones and then you guys can fill in the rest.

Nirvana: Of all the overrated bands none is more overrated than these guys. Seriously, how do they get called one of the greatest ever? They have one good album and was only around for about 3 years. Every song is just simple power chord stuff with incoherent lyrics. If Cobain doesn't kill himself they'd be lucky to be considered a top 100 band.

Queen: They have 3 amazing songs. Every thing else Is either sub par or lame.

Foo fighters: the ultimate dad rock band. Their debut album was ok and everything else since then has gotten progressively worse. It's like they intentionally make music for suburban moms who need something to listen to when they drive to the mall to buy their husband a sweater. Some of the safest blandest shot you'll hear in your life.
Agree kind of on Nirvana. They’re great, I don’t hear many these days claiming they’re one of the greatest ever. Kurt himself was pretty open about not thinking they’re incredible musicians. That being said, they propelled the Seattle grunge sound into the mainstream. And also, despite its simplicity, the unplugged album is a masterpiece.

You lost me on Queen. They’re phenomenal musicians.

Agree on Foo fighters. That first album is all I choose to remember them by though. It’s a straightforward power chords 90s rock album, but if you dig that sound it’s as tasty as it gets.

I never liked Nirvana or Foo Fighters as much as most people did...but saying Queen had 3 songs that were better than subpar / lame is a bold statement. What are the three decent songs in your opinion?

I was never that big on Green Day, Blur or Oasis...but I think Weezer is a band that got substantially more acclaim and attention than necessary.

For some reason Lenny Kravitz and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have their shittiest songs become their biggest hits.

Weezer has two good albums, their first and second, and then just a handful of alright tracks.

xer here and dont know this new shit but Led Zeppelin is most overrated of all time IMHO

Stones 100x better

Metallica after Justice can suck my dick..Crue after "shout" can

xer here and dont know this new shit but Led Zeppelin is most overrated of all time IMHO

My goodness! Stairway alone gets them into the Hall of Fame.

Now...as for Jimmy and Robert banging girls with sharks...there may be a bit of explaining to do.

Tool.

Every single song sounds exactly the same.

Every album, exact same sound.

Weezer has two good albums, their first and second, and then just a handful of alright tracks.

Thinks Tool is overrated and sounds the same, but then says Weezer has two good albums and a handful of other alright songs.

<{cruzshake}>

In Utero was a good album by Nirvana, so Nirvana had 2 good albums. I like them, but they are overrated. The narrative that Nirvana came and then all of the sudden, hair metal is not how it really went down.

"Everyone you just mentioned, I think they are great".

Queen has a fantastic series of wildly varied and inventive albums, beyond the handful of songs that everyone knows. Their 70'ies stuff was just magnificent.

Nirvana captured the spirit of the early 90'ies. They might only have existed for a brief while, but they touched a moment of raw nerve and captured it perfectly.

Haven't listenend to much of the Foo Fighters, but they are a good rock band.

My goodness! Stairway alone gets them into the Hall of Fame.

Now...as for Jimmy and Robert banging girls with sharks...there may be a bit of explaining to do.
I only liked that on acid. Otherwise too slow. Better band on acid was Grateful dead. So they still lose

1977 @ Cornell will be best concert you ever heard.

Thinks Tool is overrated and sounds the same, but then says Weezer has two good albums and a handful of other alright songs.

<{cruzshake}>

Literally every single Tool song sounds exactly the same.

They have a formula, and they stick to the same tired themes.

I only liked that on acid. Otherwise too slow.

Not trying to change your mind but most of them have harder driving stuff...

Journey - Separate Ways
Kansas - Carry on My Wayward Son
Foreigner - Say You Will

etc.

Stones 100x better

Metallica after Justice can suck my dick..Crue after "shout" can
trash-opinion.gif

Back