Can we talk about overrated bands?

Metallica, I will never need to a wanna be pro wrestler voice singing at me, there are way better metal bands from the same era and megadeth is a better band.
Plus the bus should’ve landed on Lars.

Tool.

Every single song sounds exactly the same.

Every album, exact same sound.

I told one of my friends that I only liked the album "Undertow".
He said why (he's a huge Tool fan), and I said all the other albums sound exactly the same.
Oh boy, he went on a 20 minute rant about how and why they were so good.
As soon as he finished I doubled down and said "Dude they fuckin suck, get over it"... He was sooo pissed lol.

You're right though sir, they are vastly overrated.

I'll start with some obvious ones and then you guys can fill in the rest.

Nirvana: Of all the overrated bands none is more overrated than these guys. Seriously, how do they get called one of the greatest ever? They have one good album and was only around for about 3 years. Every song is just simple power chord stuff with incoherent lyrics. If Cobain doesn't kill himself they'd be lucky to be considered a top 100 band.

Queen: They have 3 amazing songs. Every thing else Is either sub par or lame.

Foo fighters: the ultimate dad rock band. Their debut album was ok and everything else since then has gotten progressively worse. It's like they intentionally make music for suburban moms who need something to listen to when they drive to the mall to buy their husband a sweater. Some of the safest blandest shit you'll hear in your life.
Brah... You so wrong with all three of these.

I never liked Nirvana or Foo Fighters as much as most people did...but saying Queen had 3 songs that were better than subpar / lame is a bold statement. What are the three decent songs in your opinion?

I was never that big on Green Day, Blur or Oasis...but I think Weezer is a band that got substantially more acclaim and attention than necessary.

For some reason Lenny Kravitz and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have their shittiest songs become their biggest hits. They both have good stuff but then shit like Dani California and Fly Away become their signature songs.

I find it more fun to think about underrated and underappreciated bands though.
I guess we have pretty much the exact opposite opinions. Lol.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question.

Guns N Roses.

They have like 5 good songs. And one of those is a Paul McCartney song.

Metallica, I will never need to a wanna be pro wrestler voice singing at me, there are way better metal bands from the same era and megadeth is a better band.
Plus the bus should’ve landed on Lars.
Yeah I kinda agree about Hetfield's voice. In just about any other context I would say his voice is annoying, but it works well for the stuff Metallica plays.

I also feel the same way about Axl and Billy Corgan. Their voices are objectively bad, like to the point of being hideous, but somehow they work within the context of the music they play.

Guns N Roses.

Heh, yeah I guess we do have opposite opinions. I could probably name five good ones from Appetite alone.

Yeah I kinda agree about Hetfield's voice. In just about any other context I would say his voice is annoying, but it works well for the stuff Metallica plays.

I also feel the same way about Axl and Billy Corgan. Their voices are objectively bad, like to the point of being hideous, but somehow they work within the context of the music they play.
I agree sort of more so on corrugated than axl, but definitely the same.

Heh, yeah I guess we do have opposite opinions. I could probably name five good ones from Appetite alone.
Weezer and Blur are my favorite bands ever and Foo is right after. I used to not like Oasis because I was on Blur's side, but then I really listened to What's The Story and even I can admit that's a great album. Fan of Green Day, Nirvana and Queen. Kravitz has some good shit. RHCP are a bit overrated. A lot of good stuff, but not much I get really excited for.

Agree to disagree.

any band using auto-tune and pitch correction software and still being played everywhere ad nauseam -so basically anything from the mainstream pop-music world of the last decade or two. no matter how many tone-deaf people swoon over their pop-princesses or boybands picked by the recording company's for their looks and dancing skill, not their ability to carry a tune. Basically anyone that cannot perform unplugged (people should not sing outside their range. and if they cannot sing in tune at any range, maybe singer is not a career for them).

Weezer and Blur are my favorite bands ever and Foo is right after. I used to not like Oasis because I was on Blur's side, but then I really listened to What's The Story and even I can admit that's a great album. Fan of Green Day, Nirvana and Queen. Kravitz has some good shit. RHCP are a bit overrated. A lot of good stuff, but not much I get really excited for.

Agree to disagree.

Well, I am always willing to take another look at things and once in a blue moon I find some virtues that I missed the first time around.

At least we seem to agree about Kravitz. I'm down with his stuff pretty consistently up to around 1996 or so. Freedom Train, Always on the Run (with Slash), etc.

Is not "stupid shit" is called having an opinion. You snowflake generation of kids get mad over anything now.
Still acting like an ass hat on here I see?

Lol.

Guns N Roses.

That cover sucks. I can't decide which is worse, that or Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Can't stand either.

Well, I am always willing to take another look at things and once in a blue moon I find some virtues that I missed the first time around.

At least we seem to agree about Kravitz. I'm down with his stuff pretty consistently up to around 1996 or so. Freedom Train, Always on the Run (with Slash), etc.
Rosemary. Actually pretty much his whole debut album is great.

I should be clear that I don't think "overrated" necessarily means "bad". There are lots of bands that are really good, but manage to achieve this God-like status that, in my view, just isn't warranted.

For me, AC/DC represents this the most for me. Not bad music, pretty fun. But they're basically the Nickelback, Imagine Dragons, or Avenged Sevenfold of their era. Most songs sound pretty much the same, and follow a distinct formula. And that's not bad per se, consistency can be good. And while I'm not fans of these three bands, I'm not one to change the song or radio station if any other their songs come up. But I just find it really strange that people put AC/DC on this pedestal, while shitting on other bands that are pretty much guilty of the same shit.

To give a bit of a control, my three most disliked bands are Train, Great Big Sea, and New Found Glory. I could say they are over-rated just on virtue that their music is absolute dog shit and they're famous, but really, I don't think any one would put these bands on any pedestal.

Back