Can we talk about overrated bands?

greatful dead, Rush, Frank Zappa, Sonic Youth… bands that stuck around for literally decades with almost zero commercial success… how can someone say they are overrated?

Last edited:
Tool.

Every single song sounds exactly the same.

Every album, exact same sound.
Undertow has a different feel to it and is their best. imo I agree with the rest of the discography sounding the same though.

I agree with l examples in the op.

I'll add Metallica. Gateway metal band who had 3 good albums. Rest of them are trash.
The record sales don't lie bro The black album still sold more copies than Megadeth's album Dystopia the week it was released.

Since we are saying stupid shit, The Beatles, the Stones, Guns N Roses and AC/DC
I'd say Slash is overrated he hardly wrote any of the music. Izzy Stradlin wrote way more than him and Slash got all the credit.

Too many hot takes for me tbh
This turned into a "bands i don't like" thread who would of thunk it. lol

I don't think I could be friends with someone who doesn't like Queen.
I don't like Queen. ;)

Last edited:
lol at AC/DC being overrated… look at their numbers, especially when they were in those prime years… the proof is in the world wide sales…

not to mention they lost their lead singer, a guy who was on the verge of ruling the world, in their prime… what they could have done with Bon Scott at the helm…

not to mention every rock guitarists dream is to someday get to jam with Angus Young, one of the hardest working and most respected players of all time..

yeah, Brian Johnson is a screamer who basically blew out his vocal chords in the 80s… they suck NOW… they were fucking GREAT tho… overrated my ASS

The record sales don't lie bro The black album still sold more copies than Megadeth's album Dystopia the week it was released.

The sales are one reason I believe they're overrated. Bieber sold more records than Mozart after all.

lol at AC/DC being overrated… look at their numbers, especially when they were in those prime years… the proof is in the world wide sales…

not to mention they lost their lead singer, a guy who was on the verge of ruling the world, in their prime… what they could have done with Bon Scott at the helm…

not to mention every rock guitarists dream is to someday get to jam with Angus Young, one of the hardest working and most respected players of all time..

yeah, Brian Johnson is a screamer who basically blew out his vocal chords in the 80s… they suck NOW… they were fucking GREAT tho… overrated my ASS
I actually thought Axle Rose did a good job filling in for Brian.

The sales are one reason I believe they're overrated. Bieber sold more records than Mozart after all.
That's fine but just understand you are clearly a minority in that line of thinking. Did Metallica drop a few turds? absolutely they did but their good albums are so good that they outshine those turds.

I actually thought Axle Rose did a good job filling in for Brian.

That's fine but just understand you are clearly a minority in that line of thinking. Did Metallica drop a few turds? absolutely they did but their good albums are so good that they outshine those turds.
I know I'm in the minority, their record sales tell me this.

if you have way too much time on your hands you might get a kick out of these

Thanks, that guy's great. Seems to have built up as much lore and inside jokes in six episode as Red Letter Media has in fifteen years.

Reactions: Xuh
RHCP. Anthony Keidis drags the entire band down.
Metallica. They were awesome in the mid 80s but that's about it.

RHCP. Anthony Keidis drags the entire band down.

True and it's a shame. There are a bunch of RHCP songs where I can't help thinking how they'd be good with a better vocalist.

Metallica. They were awesome in the mid 80s but that's about it.

I agree that Metallica has been mediocre to awful for going on three decades now. But those early albums are such landmarks of thrash metal that they can't be denied their place in musical history.

There are bands today who are still trying to sound as good as Ride the Lightning.

greatful dead, Rush, Frank Zappa, Sonic Youth… bands that stuck around for literally decades with almost zero commercial success… how can someone say they are overrated?

Because they're critically overrated instead of commercially overrated?

There's a professional music writing industry that seems to have a hivemind on what is to be praised as genius. Similar to the world of professional modern art critics.

It ends up with people regurgitating opinions so that they will be perceived as educated and part of the hipster elite, rather than giving their honest takes.

In the 90s, I knew a young woman who kept trying to sell me on how great Sonic Youth is. I just did not hear it, and when I asked her to explain what she liked about their music, she could never give me a straight answer.

I still don't hear it. Sonic Youth is some of the least funky music in the world.

Last edited:
Come on people. Most everyone named decent bands.

Focus on the shit bands which are popular now...guantized and auto-tuned to death.

No bands are popular now. Gen Z only listens to rap and pop. Rock is dead, and it's never coming back.

Kids these days don't even have the attention span to listen to a full song. Just 15 second TikTok clips.

Ghost and I still do not understand how they are popular. What pisses me off is that Mastodon who are a million times better and been around much longer are opening for Ghost this tour when it should be the other way around. I've seen Mastodon live last year with Opeth and they were amazing as was Opeth.
2iJm13q.png

Jay-Z.. Just steals samples from great songs

KISS/Tool for me.
Also anything in the “nu metal genre”.

Ten is the only album of theirs I give a shit about.
Honestly, Ten is probably the only PJ album I DON’T listen to anymore.

Pearl Jam has one hell of a catalog, and that really can not be denied at all.

Also, the term “overrated” is overrated.

Back