Elections Canada's Racist Elections

Please stop saying alt right playbook page one. I could just as easily say "SJW playbook page one, call everyone who doesn't agree with you alt right or a Nazi."

Stop reading from that page and address the points I'm making, and I will.

Right now you're just spitting out talking points.

It doesn't matter how easy it is to get ID and nobody is saying black people aren't capable, we're saying this is being targeted because they have less ID and vote democrat. It has nothing to do with election security. It's one more obstacle.

I'm saying this whole thing is about voter suppression.

None of the people pushing for ID give a flying fig about election security, everyone involved says elections are safe as houses. Have you seen the stats on voter fraud?

I say ID is better because it can't be worse. Safer is better. ID means safer elections.

I'm just questioning the motivations and pointing out the costs.

If the Democrats come out with legislation to make it easier to get valid ID, you absolutely know Republicans will fight it.

So you are for voter IDs but not at the moment because obtaining an ID is made too difficult?

Alt right playbook, page one.

I don't "think" anything about who has ID, a study showed black people did and the GOP started with ID laws.

FYI, you can do most things poor people do without ID.

I'm not making excuses, these are all facts.
Since you like "facts" I have some of my own.

1. Without an ID you cannot have a legal job.

2. Without having a job you have 730 days between elections to figure out a way to get an ID like the vast majority of the rest of First World citizens have.

Damn, the GOP made it so you need an ID to vote?

Well, if you're not racist, and you agree that minorities can accomplish a simple task they everyone else seems to have no problem with...I guess they will have to take a few hours in the next 2 years and go get one, right?

And if you don't think blacks are too feeble or stupid to be able to do that, then it shouldn't be a problem, just like how it's not a problem for the vast majority of people who also, somehow, managed to obtain one.

Which is it?

1. Are blacks too stupid and feeble to be able to obtain an ID like whites, asians, and immigrants from all over the world do?

Or...

2. This is a tired, worn-out, pathetic and easily disproved racist trope and excuse?

It's either one or the other.

So you are for voter IDs but not at the moment because obtaining an ID is made too difficult?

I'm saying in a vacuum, ID is better. I'm Canadian. We always use ID (but have a dozen different options we can use).

I'm also saying this is being pushed for purely political reasons to suppress black votes and has nothing to do with fraud.

Since you like "facts" I have some of my own.

1. Without an ID you cannot have a legal job.

2. Without having a job you have 730 days between elections to figure out a way to get an ID like the vast majority of the rest of First World citizens have.

Damn, the GOP made it so you need an ID to vote?

Well, if you're not racist, and you agree that minorities can accomplish a simple task they everyone else seems to have no problem with...I guess they will have to take a few hours in the next 2 years and go get one, right?

And if you don't think blacks are too feeble or stupid to be able to do that, then it shouldn't be a problem, just like how it's not a problem for the vast majority of people who also, somehow, managed to obtain one.

Which is it?

1. Are blacks too stupid and feeble to be able to obtain an ID like whites, asians, and immigrants from all over the world do?

Or...

2. This is a tired, worn-out, pathetic and easily disproved racist trope and excuse?

It's either one or the other.

You absolutely can have a legal job without ID.

Please stop saying alt right playbook page one. I could just as easily say "SJW playbook page one, call everyone who doesn't agree with you alt right or a Nazi."

When all else fails, shout "racist", "bigot", "homophobe" or "transphobe". It's on page 1 of the "SJW playbook", like you said.

When someone has sunk to that level, its because they have nothing else. The last gasp of a losing argument.

Literally a meme...

FB-IMG-1485020815282.jpg

I'm saying in a vacuum, ID is better. I'm Canadian. We always use ID (but have a dozen different options we can use).

I'm also saying this is being pushed for purely political reasons to suppress black votes and has nothing to do with fraud.

It could very well be that it's being pushed for political reasons. Most things in US are pushed because either party has a political agenda. That doesn't mean that the policy in itself is bad even if the motivation for it is wrong.

It could very well be that it's being pushed for political reasons. Most things in US are pushed because either party has a political agenda. That doesn't mean that the policy in itself is bad even if the motivation for it is wrong.

The thing is, nobody can make a compelling argument that it's necessary.

Sure, it's more secure, but can anyone argue more voter security is needed?

Cool story bro, prove it.

According to:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/24-things-that-require-a-photo-id

you can't and I'll take their word over yours, as much as that may hurt your feelings.

Edit: And if you can, well I guess they will just have to figure it out like the rest of the people who work and still managed to get an ID.

Actually it appears you're correct. By the letter of the law it seems you have to provide ID in many states, especially by the border where illegal immigration is an issue.

The thing is, nobody can make a compelling argument that it's necessary.

Sure, it's more secure, but can anyone argue more voter security is needed?

I mean based on what's happened in the US the past couple of elections ANYTHING that would restore even a little bit of trust back into their electoral system would do. Mail in voting was probably the worst idea in recent history. Not because there was wide spread fraud or anything but because everyone with a half a brain knew it was going to be a shitshow. It's mainly about public perception. And if the public loses their trust in free and fair elections then they are well and truly fucked.

I mean based on what's happened in the US the past couple of elections ANYTHING that would restore even a little bit of trust back into their electoral system would do. Mail in voting was probably the worst idea in recent history. Not because there was wide spread fraud or anything but because everyone with a half a brain knew it was going to be a shitshow. It's mainly about public perception. And if the public loses their trust in free and fair elections then they are well and truly fucked.

The GOP has been singing fraud for a very long time.

The only funny thing about all this was Trump accusing Cruz of fraud for months and Cruz eventually joining Trump in accusing everyone of fraud.

If I was a Democrat I'd definitely fight the ID restrictions while pushing to get ID for more people, knowing ultimately the best thing would be standardized voting requirements across the country.

I have no idea.

Here is the list of things you can use..

List of accepted ID to prove your identity and address under Option 2
From a government or government agency
  • band membership card
  • birth certificate
  • Canadian citizenship card or certificate
  • Canadian Forces identity card
  • Canadian passport (accepted only as proof of identity)
  • card issued by an Inuit local authority
  • firearms licence
  • government cheque or cheque stub
  • government statement of benefits
  • health card
  • income tax assessment
  • Indian status card or temporary confirmation of registration
  • library card
  • licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
  • liquor identity card
  • Métis card
  • old age security card
  • parolee card
  • property tax assessment or evaluation
  • public transportation card
  • social insurance number card
  • vehicle ownership
  • Veterans Affairs health care identification card
From Elections Canada
  • targeted revision form to residents of long-term care facilities
  • voter information card
From an educational institution
  • correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • student identity card
From a health care facility or organization
  • blood donor card
  • CNIB card
  • hospital card
  • label on a prescription container
  • identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care facility
  • medical clinic card
From a financial institution
  • bank statement
  • credit card
  • credit card statement
  • credit union statement
  • debit card
  • insurance certificate, policy or statement
  • mortgage contract or statement
  • pension plan statement
  • personal cheque
From a private organization
  • employee card
  • residential lease or sub-lease
  • utility bill (e.g.: electricity; water; telecommunications services, including telephone, cable or satellite)
Letters of confirmation
  • letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
  • letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form, or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
    • student residence
    • seniors’ residence
    • long-term care facility
    • shelter
    • soup kitchen
    • a community-based residential facility

Other pieces of ID may be added. We accept e-statements and e-invoices. Print them or show them on a mobile device.
Oh, so Canadian voter ID requirements are less strict than many US states and most everyone in this thread is making snide comments without even knowing what they’re taking about? Shocking.

Since this thread is primarily Canadians thinking they know what’s best for the USA let me explain something.

Conservatives in this country used to believe in “States rights.” I believe in States rights. The principle is that states have the right to their own laws and customs and thus we should limit the overreach of federal laws. It’s a limit on federal power.

Many states have a requirement for photo ID to vote. This is more stringent than you have in Canada. Some states have ID requirements like you all do, that is to say non-photo ID is also accepted. Some states have no ID requirement. I think that’s kind of crazy but ok. That is the right of the state and if they want to change it they can vote among themselves to change it.

Is it only in English? And French I assume in Quebec?

What about Urdu/Hindi, Spanish and Chinese? Arabic?

Canada has two federal languages, English and French. Then a dozen or so indigenous provincial langauges. Anyone who can't speak any of them is in the wrong country.

TLDR: Fit in or fuck off.

Canada has two federal languages, English and French. Then a dozen or so indigenous provincial langauges. Anyone who can't speak any of them is in the wrong country.

TLDR: Fit in or fuck off.

Sorry, no.

This is some racist shit.

The whole voter ID debate in the US can only exist because a huge chunk of the US is painfully ignorant about what goes on in other countries. Showing ID when voting is the norm.

Don't think for a minute I'm ok with any such tactics. You have to try to set people up for success if you want to prosper as a group. That not only applies in a business environment but society as a whole. That includes availing them of the tools neccessary to make the right moves.

As for the student id vs vs gun permit? I can absolutely see that being the right call here in Canada as our Possession and Acquisition License isn't given out like candy by any means. Apples to oranges, but figured I'd provide a bit of perspective as to our differences.
If you were an American conservative, I'd have no doubt that you were on board with these tactics; but your not, sy that gains you some benefit of the doubt. As far as what type of ID being related to legal status. You still have to be registered to vote. I don't know about Canada, but here when you register to vote you provide certain information that verifies citizenship.

The GOP has been singing fraud for a very long time.

The only funny thing about all this was Trump accusing Cruz of fraud for months and Cruz eventually joining Trump in accusing everyone of fraud.

If I was a Democrat I'd definitely fight the ID restrictions while pushing to get ID for more people, knowing ultimately the best thing would be standardized voting requirements across the country.

Agree, different states shouldn't be allowed to make their own rules when it comes to federal elections. To be fair the Democrats were crying Russia for as long as trump was president and now all of a sudden when Biden won it was the most secure election ever. Both sides play the same game. If I was an American I would definitely focus on making the elections more secure. Make voting in person and voter id mandatory, but move the day of the election from Tuesday to Sunday and have more voting locations available.

Ah, the good ol' War Room. Where nuance goes to die and be trod into a little wet spot never to be seen again.

Back