Elections Canadian Federal Election 2019 Thread

I see it somewhat the same way, but the election of Trump is a far more damaging outcome than anything that could have come of a different result in the Canadian election. I don't expect you to take my word for it; just wait and see. And it doesn't really have anything to do with being liberal or conservative in his case; he's a crook plain and simple, he's surrounded himself with crooks and cronies, and as bad as we already know it is, even more severe damage is being done that we won't find out about until after he is out of office--mark my words.

I get people hate Trump, but honestly, has your life REALLY changed in the last 3 years?

Donald Trump isn't the first crook to hold the presidency. He's not the first asshole egomaniac to hold it, either. I don't think there'll be any damage that can't be compared to other presidents.

By all means, EVERYONE should get involved in politics. Discuss it, complain about it, yadda yadda. But life goes on. Everyone has control over their own destiny. If you're letting who is the president or prime minister ruin your well being, you're a retard IMHO. People get way too wound up over this shit.

By all means, EVERYONE should get involved in politics. Discuss it, complain about it, yadda yadda. But life goes on. Everyone has control over their own destiny. If you're letting who is the president or prime minister ruin your well being, you're a retard IMHO. People get way too wound up over this shit.

Agreed. Our systems are set up in such a way that one leader only has the possibility of limited long term impact. People stress over Trump, people stress over Trudeau. In 20 years they’ll be a faint memory and we’ll have a whole new set of assholes and problems to deal with.

I get people hate Trump, but honestly, has your life REALLY changed in the last 3 years?

Donald Trump isn't the first crook to hold the presidency. He's not the first asshole egomaniac to hold it, either. I don't think there'll be any damage that can't be compared to other presidents.

Hold onto that thought. The effects of Trump's presidency will be felt for a long time to come.

Well that's great for you, but some people do actually have interactions with the government. Voting and whining about politicians is not just a game and about triggering liberals to a lot of people. For example, anyone with an immigrant in their family.

For example, anyone with an immigrant in their family.

The fuck are you talking about? As far as I know, America and Canada still have legal immigration. Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals.

Or are you advocating for the right to just jump a fence and become a citizen?

143 out of 230 is actually not bad for a politician IMO.

If you've kept over 50% of your promises, you're way ahead of the curve.

Yes and no. Majority of what he accomplished was low hanging fruit with no edge. The stuff he hasn't accomplished or failed to act on were things he campaigned hard on.

Majority of what he accomplished was low hanging fruit with no edge.

That sounds fuckin great to me. I love Canada, and I think the less they change about it, the better. So hopefully he doesn't follow through on his promises with "edge", like the gun banning bullshit.

People always want politicians to come in and change a bunch of shit. That's great if you live in some shithole. Us Canadians have the luxury of living in a country that consistently ranks among the top in the world to live in. So lets not fuck with that. I'm happy with small changes.

The fuck are you talking about? As far as I know, America and Canada still have legal immigration. Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals.

Or are you advocating for the right to just jump a fence and become a citizen?

No. do you think legal immigration had been unaffected by his policies, and inability to staff agencies?

I'll give you a hint. It has become more difficult.

You can not be pro legal immigration and pro trump at the same time.

I obviously have my political preferences, but I can't imagine stressing out over an election result. But maybe that's just my "winner" privilege. Jagmeet, Scheer, Trudeau, May... I'm still going to have my job, I'm still going to live my life the same way. My life was pretty much that same under Harper as it was Trudeau.

So Albertans, I get it. You wanted Scheer. But the whining and hysterics going on from them is just sad. It's like liberals when Trump won. Calm the fuck down and continue to live your life.
I don't see much whining. Yeah, it sucks that the prairies go without representation, but our discontent isn't anywhere near what was seen in the US in 2016.

Other than that, just because your life hasn't been as negatively impacted as ours, and not by a longshot, doesn't make our gripes any less relevant or justified. There's a reason why libs didn't win one seat in Sask and Alberta. Instead of dismissing it perhaps it should be given some thought. I thought we were all Canadians?

That sounds fuckin great to me. I love Canada, and I think the less they change about it, the better. So hopefully he doesn't follow through on his promises with "edge", like the gun banning bullshit.

People always want politicians to come in and change a bunch of shit. That's great if you live in some shithole. Us Canadians have the luxury of living in a country that consistently ranks among the top in the world to live in. So lets not fuck with that. I'm happy with small changes.

Well im talking about him promising to balance the 2019 budget, and not run long term deficits. Instead he went with increasing deficits and running them long term.

Him campaigning hard on ending the muzzle implementation of scientist, and increasing public access to information - but we have slipped to 55th in the world in access to information and the muzzle implement is still in effect.

Increasing R&D funding but rather going with Canada slipping in innovation rankings.

I mean he did accomplished the hard hitting stuff like equal amount of women in cabinet positions and energy saving lightbulbs in government offices

Last edited:
No. do you think legal immigration had been unaffected by his policies, and inability to staff agencies?

I'll give you a hint. It has become more difficult.

You can not be pro legal immigration and pro trump at the same time.

If the member of your family is an immigrant, that means they already got in so what are you complaining about.

If they're looking to immigrate, they're not a citizen so they're not a fuckin priority. Tell them to go fuck their mother.

I don't see much whining. Yeah, it sucks that the prairies go without representation, but our discontent isn't anywhere near what was seen in the US in 2016.

Other than that, just because your life hasn't been as negatively impacted as ours, and not by a longshot, doesn't make our gripes any less relevant or justified. There's a reason why libs didn't win one seat in Sask and Alberta. Instead of dismissing it perhaps it should be given some thought. I thought we were all Canadians?

I've seen a TON of whining, especially now there's a huge Alberta vs Newfoundland thing because we voted in 6 or 7 liberals.

I never said people's gripes aren't relevant or justified. In my post I said people should be involved in politics and complain and gripe all they want. I just think people get too riled up about it.

That's it. It's a democracy. People voted in Trudeau. Tough shit. He ain't my choice but that's the way it went.

Well im talking about him promising to balance the 2019 budget, and not run long term deficits. Instead he with increasing deficits and running them long term.

Him campaignjng hard on ending the muzzle implementation of scientist, and increasing public access to information - but we have slipped to 55th in the world in access to information and the muzzle implement is still in effect.

Increasing R&D funding but rather going with Canada slipping in innovation rankings.

I mean he did accomplished the hard hitting stuff like equal amount of women in cabinet positions and energy saving lightbulbs in government offices

All good points. My hope is that this idiot just does as little as possible and in a couple of years we can get someone competent in there to get stuff done. Trudeau has no substance. Just keep the seat warm, Trudeau.

If the member of your family is an immigrant, that means they already got in so what are you complaining about.

If they're looking to immigrate, they're not a citizen so they're not a fuckin priority. Tell them to go fuck their mother.

I've seen a TON of whining, especially now there's a huge Alberta vs Newfoundland thing because we voted in 6 or 7 liberals.

I never said people's gripes aren't relevant or justified. In my post I said people should be involved in politics and complain and gripe all they want. I just think people get too riled up about it.

That's it. It's a democracy. People voted in Trudeau. Tough shit. He ain't my choice but that's the way it went.

All good points. My hope is that this idiot just does as little as possible and in a couple of years we can get someone competent in there to get stuff done. Trudeau has no substance. Just keep the seat warm, Trudeau.

Yeah.like I said, Trump is anti legal immigration and so are you. You are just a selfish scumbag.

Conservatives (no red Tories) in Canada, even those that voted for the PPC are worried about Trudeau selling out to the UN. I prefer Canada to be sovereign but Liberals prefer foreign domination.

When the Liberals ban guns, many people will lose their jobs and or businesses. Hundreds of thousands of (if not a million or more) Canadians are stressed out because they don't want to have their property confiscated and receive not even half of what they paid and put into the rifle. Plus all the other equipment. With crime increasing, people want semi auto rifles. People do need AR-15s for personal protection and recreation. It's just an ergonomic and reliable self loader. People in rural areas need them.

Conservatives are also worried about ethnic vote banks and mass immigration. Most Canadians want immigration reduced not increased. It's not because we're racist it's because we can see the problems it's creating. The Conservatives won't be able to win in the future if it continues.
I'm interested to see your source for these assertions, especially the bold text.

I thought we were all Canadians?

I'm not even sure we are all Canadians anymore.

I don't know what the vision for our country is. I keep wondering why we are a country and I can't think of good reasons. I don't feel like we have a national identity.

I can't remember the last time being Canadian was actually celebrated, except in the narrow context of celebrating how Canada is no longer as awful a bunch of bigotted shitheels as it was in years gone by. It's exhausting and dispirriting., Like when Trudeau spent the 150th anniversary apologizing for Canada's failings.

So we have immigration, multiculturalism, public health care. So does all of western Europe. Why the hell should anyone want to be Canadian, except as a matter of convenience? Why should anyone care?

Maybe Trudeau was right; maybe we are a post-national state.
Yay us.

So voter turnout was pretty close to the same as the 2015 election.

• 65.95 per cent: Preliminary estimate of voter turnout (not including voters who registered on election day)

• 68.3 per cent: Voter turnout in the 2015 federal election.

So voter turnout was pretty close to the same as the 2015 election.

• 65.95 per cent: Preliminary estimate of voter turnout (not including voters who registered on election day)

• 68.3 per cent: Voter turnout in the 2015 federal election.

Voter turn out in Canada is a funny number. We have a statistical flaw in our system because people who move can register in their new district without having to tell the registration officer their old address, so technically they could still be on the electors list in their old riding which would show up as a person who didn't vote and skew the numbers to make it lower than it is. This gets compounded with youth who tend to move around alot from 18-34

Bumping this cause it was only 2 years ago we did this shit.... and almost every day since then has been Groundhog Day due to COVID.

I'm not even sure we are all Canadians anymore.

I don't know what the vision for our country is. I keep wondering why we are a country and I can't think of good reasons. I don't feel like we have a national identity.

I can't remember the last time being Canadian was actually celebrated, except in the narrow context of celebrating how Canada is no longer as awful a bunch of bigotted shitheels as it was in years gone by. It's exhausting and dispirriting., Like when Trudeau spent the 150th anniversary apologizing for Canada's failings.

So we have immigration, multiculturalism, public health care. So does all of western Europe. Why the hell should anyone want to be Canadian, except as a matter of convenience? Why should anyone care?

Maybe Trudeau was right; maybe we are a post-national state.
Yay us.
If you really feel this way I think you should get out more. Do you, still?

"I can't remember the last time being Canadian was actually celebrated." I also hope that's no longer true.

If you really feel this way I think you should get out more. Do you, still?

"I can't remember the last time being Canadian was actually celebrated." I also hope that's no longer true.

I care less about national identity this election than I do about the fact that we are being governed by venal idiots.

But no, although I am less depressed by it than I was two years ago, we are still doing a poor job of fostering and celebrating a unifying Canadian identity.

And I would get out more, but some people keep locking down the country, for some reason.

Back