Can't wait until MMA is about 20-30 years older

blacknblue104

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Then maybe people will actually be able to contextualize the sport instead of saying that champions that only have a few defenses are GOATS. Or that a every fighter who beats a contender is going to become champion even if they have multiple losses to other contenders.

I understand that the UFC in particular has always targeted the teen/young male audience, but do all the fans have to think like one too?

Some of you guys please go back and watch some MMA fights from the 90s/2000s or watch other combat sports like boxing, kickboxing, bjj, wrestling, etc and learn some history please.

4yygas.jpg

Then maybe people will actually be able to contextualize the sport instead of saying that champions that only have a few defenses are GOATS. Or that a every fighter who beats a contender is going to become champion even if they have multiple losses to other contenders.

I understand that the UFC in particular has always targeted the teen/young male audience, but do all the fans have to think like one too?

Some of you guys please go back and watch some MMA fights from the 90s/2000s or watch other combat sports like boxing, kickboxing, bjj, wrestling, etc and learn some history please.
You made this entire thread just to say "contextualize" didn't you?

You kinda poke holes in your own logic any real combat sports fan knows anyone can beat anyone in a sport that only takes one punch so any contender CAN string together a dominant run at any time

But then you’ll be 20 or 30 years older and probably have glaucoma and won’t be able to watch.

You kinda poke holes in your own logic any real combat sports fan knows anyone can beat anyone in a sport that only takes one punch so any contender CAN string together a dominant run at any time

By that logic, anyone who competes in the sport can become champion. There are things like odds, probability and jumping on bangwagon too fast though.

I am speaking specifically about people saying that Derrick Lewis is about to go on a title run when they guy got knocked out by JDS and Mark Hunt and has shown no change in his game.

Wow a thrown together meme- brilliant.

Way to prove my point, dork.

Calm down there pancakes. You do realize most of the civilized population considers MMA to be low brow. Just like pro wrestling, bare knuckle boxing, tough man competitions etc... so stop acting like you're some combat sports elitist. For what it's worth I've been watching MMA since the mid 90's and know plenty about the history.

Too much to the point where it's kind of embarrassing actually. I've even gone back into the pro wrestling part of it, but I don't take my self so serious and would rather be 40 years old and have tired debates online about MMA vs being 70 years old, in the autumn of my life and suffering from arthritis.

Last edited:
Calm down there pancakes. You do realize most of the civilized population considers MMA to be low brow. Just like pro wrestling, bare knuckle boxing, tough man competitions etc... so stop acting like you're some combat sports elitist. For what it's worth I've been watching MMA since the mid 90's and know plenty about the history.

Too much to the point where it's kind of embarrassing actually. I've even gone back into the pro wrestling part of it, but I don't take my self so serious and would rather be 40 years old and have tired debates online about MMA vs being 70 years old, in the autumn of my life and suffering from arthritis.

"Can't wait until MMA is about 20-30 years older" is a theoretical about the development of the sport and fan perception. It had nothing to do with your age, his age, or anyone else, and that lame, nonsensical meme most certainly assisted his point about the maturity level of fans.
Who cares what most of the "civilized population" thinks of MMA. That wasn't what his post was about. It's about fans acting more maturely, less knee-jerk in their proclamations. Is that not a reasonable thing to desire?

As has been said, that is the case with literally ANY sport. When we are talking probabilities and variables, I COULD theoretically beat the fastest man on the planet in the 100m. Maybe he gets distracted, has a heart attack, blows his knee, etc.
By your standards, there would never be a reason to use rankings, have belts, etc. since everything is so arbitrary.
Yes, rankings are not concretes of "who beats who" but they are reasonable generalizations, much as it is to say that a guy with 9 title defenses deserves GOAT status over someone who just got a belt.

Of course we should all expect MMA fans to act like civilised historians.

I don't get why some people think MMA is some kind of past time for scholars. If your favourite sport is watching people punch each other in the face, then maybe don't expect nuanced discourse on it.

"Can't wait until MMA is about 20-30 years older" is a theoretical about the development of the sport and fan perception. It had nothing to do with your age, his age, or anyone else, and that lame, nonsensical meme most certainly assisted his point about the maturity level of fans.
Who cares what most of the "civilized population" thinks of MMA. That wasn't what his post was about. It's about fans acting more maturely, less knee-jerk in their proclamations. Is that not a reasonable thing to desire?

I get what you guys are saying, but 20 or 30 years isn't going to change anything, Just look at the people arguing over Jordan and Lebron. It's not so much a young sport thing as that kind of stuff is just the nature of the internet and more than likely always will be.

I guess the meme was kind of a dick move, but the elitist style MMA fan can be just as bad as any other type of irritating fanbase.

They're the type of fan that act like they know more than everybody else because they watch Bellator and JMMA cards and took a couple of BJJ classes 10 years ago. Like I said I'm a combat sports nerd myself, but I'm not going to sit there on my high horse and preach to newer MMA fans about how they want to interpret the sport. .

I get what you guys are saying, but 20 or 30 years isn't going to change anything, Just look at the people arguing over Jordan and Lebron. It's not so much a young sport thing as that kind of stuff is just the nature of the internet and more than likely always will be.

I guess the meme was kind of a dick move, but the elitist style MMA fan can be just as bad as any other type of irritating fanbase. They're the type of fan that act like they know more than everybody else because they watch Bellator and JMMA cards. Like I said I'm a combat sports nerd myself, but I'm not going to sit there on my high horse and preach to newer MMA fans about it.

I don't think that is what he was doing though. I did not see him bragging about his knowledge. He was simply saying that before voicing ones opinion on a subject (especially in a room full of people relatively educated on it), you should probably have at least a reasonable understanding of it. In fact, its a lesson that many of these Sherdogger's parents should have taught them when they were younger. Talk less, listen more, especially among adults (or those more experienced in a subject).
I know that this stuff happens to some degree in any sport, but I feel it happens more in MMA. I mean Lebron has a far greater claim to being GOAT (not saying he is, by any means) than some of the fighters that get hailed as the GOAT on here.
At one time there were literally hundreds of teenagers on here who had just started watching MMA because of McGregor and calling him the GOAT.

I guess the meme was kind of a dick move, but the elitist style MMA fan can be just as bad as any other type of irritating fanbase.

They're the type of fan that act like they know more than everybody else because they watch Bellator and JMMA cards and took a couple of BJJ classes 10 years ago. Like I said I'm a combat sports nerd myself, but I'm not going to sit there on my high horse and preach to newer MMA fans about how they want to interpret the sport. .

Absolutely, I watch probably an unhealthy amount of MMA and hate it when people think it qualifies them to go around calling people casuals just because they watch Bellator twice a month.

Back