Catch Wrestling United

There are some pics about Catch Wrestling championship on the Facebook's page of British Wrestling Federation. I think the next step could be the official inclusion as United World Wrestling style.

There are some pics about Catch Wrestling championship on the Facebook's page of British Wrestling Federation. I think the next step could be the official inclusion as United World Wrestling style.

I think that is one of the directions they're heading for in England. Roy Wood also used to be a part of the federation and knows the people. I know Olga who competed this year also represented UK in the olympics in 2012. Also a couple of the of the snakepit wrestlers also been national champions in freestyle before they moved over to catch. Both Wade Barrick and John Byrne got first place last year in their weight categories, and this year they both got 2nd, both been british champions in freestyle. Wrestlers who been with Roy since their start when they were young. Byrne is probably related to Billy Riley since Rileys daughter married and got that name.

I'm not riding you, you said "I trained regularly starting in 1997 at two JKD schools that taught Shooto classes, and also some shooto/bjj mixed classes, whose programs were directly under Yuri Nakamura and Erik." implying you were putting in some serious time training Shooto. I am simply holding you to your statements and insisting you provide some sort of proof for them.

You're only a year older than I am and I know I've been in far more fights but I can remember my HS wrestling coaches and absolutely ALL the people who I started heavily training martial arts under. You never lack thorough details when it comes to your past sparring sessions though...

Josh

Just because you've been in more fights doesn't mean you've been hit in the head more...

"Is BJJ half Catch Wrestling? The story that judokas don't want you to know."

The triangle choke and leg locks being used by the original Gracie brothers is also extremely interesting.

The triangle choke and leg locks being used by the original Gracie brothers is also extremely interesting.

My source for the fights of George Gracie is the journalist Christiano Milfont, maybe it is through him working together with colleague and researcher Elton Silva. One more thing, on the Facebook fan page called George Gracie, there is an interview in which George Gracie describes heel-hook as Helio Gracie's favorite technique. Cool isn't it?

Judo stole from Catch Wrestling. But when the theft started?

The teacher of the teacher of the teacher of Kosei Inoue was a catch wrestler named Pop Moore. Pop was a student of Frank Gotch.

Interestingly Kotani was Kano's last direct student and Kano described Kotani's Judo as "Kotani's Judo is the kind i like". It seems that the kind of Judo that Kano liked was catch wrestling :)

Nobody stole anything, they're all learning from each other.

Judo stole from Catch Wrestling. But when the theft started?

The teacher of the teacher of the teacher of Kosei Inoue was a catch wrestler named Pop Moore. Pop was a student of Frank Gotch.

It is still sad how CACC is practically dying while Judo is full of glory without giving due credit.

I don't normally post in this thread but it seems timely based on these posts.

I just found this book by Gene LeBell at the used book store.

51REifZKyQL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'd say the catch wrestling outnumbers the judo in it. Lots of neck cranks, finger locks, arm scissors (bicep and calf slicers).

Last edited:
I don't normally post in this thread but it seems timely based on these posts.

I just found this book by Gene LeBell at the used book store.

51REifZKyQL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'd say the catch wrestling outnumbers the judo in it. Lots of neck cranks, finger locks, arm scissors (bicep and calf slicers).
Yeah, I read that several years ago. I instantly wanted to fly down to CA and join his gym.

On another note (I can't create a thread because my account is new) is there any catch gyms in Toronto Ontario?

Something very interesting about Luta Livre (here the term is used to talk about Catch Wrestling).

A description of the newspaper “O PAIZ”, from December 8, 1928, of what was understood as “Luta Livre”, in the times of Mestre Tatu and in the time of the Gracies:

“As we have already said, Luta Livre is a very violent sport that makes assistants vibrate.

In Luta Livre, only the following blows are prohibited: headbutting, punching, sticking fingers in the eyes, pulling hair, tip-toe or any blow to the private parts.

Any twist, "tie" (here the Portuguese word means Chokes), keys with legs or arms, etc ... are allowed blows.

How to win:

Victory in Wrestling is achieved by a fighter as long as his opponent considers himself defeated. A fighter in general only considers himself defeated under an empire of tremendous pain, when a blow makes it impossible to continue the fight. ”

So you can't win the fight via the pin.

Variation of the triangle in an old wrestling book. I don't know when the book was released but I do know that the author lived between 1887 and 1940.

The book is E.C. Gallagher's Wrestling

MXZYxJ6kcKphFzqP_ZjRCLq0bxpo_yHFAMcwIJQjOwk.png

Interesting description of a submission in a catch-as-catch-can book.

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

Basically submissions were called "Punishment Hold" and submission victory was also called "Fall".

BookReaderImages.php

Curran Jacobs is back now to defend his title for the first time. Too bad it took two years for his first title defence. It will take place at the Sapateiro invitational August 29. His opponent is Quentin Rosenzweig, I don't know who he is but apparently he's a black belt and leglock expert with an amateur wrestling background, zero catch wrestling experience.

I'll think this will be a hard bout for Jacobs, he never really wrestled a black belt with wrestling experience. He wrestled some high level grapplers before but none of them had any wrestling background except for Brandon Ruiz. All of those other grapplers he pinned quite easy, which is understandable since they weren't wrestlers.

names and styles come and go but fighting doesnt change. yeah some rules changed for sport but aikido and hapkido going to be around for years. the sport martial arts like sumo and judo will be around for some time but they will fade. even sumo is losing popularity on tv ratings.

Here's the latest catch wrestling matches. This event only had 2 catch bouts and a bunch of EBI matches.

No surprise to be honest. 2 catch wrestlers against high level black belts and the catch wrestlers tapped out within a few minutes.

Joshua Hightower got choked out quite quick after his opponent took him down and nearly pinned him.

Curran was doing best out of 3 falls but got submitted twice within a few minutes. First submission was a triangle and the 2nd was a kneebar. That's what happens when you don't crosstrain. I guess Johnny Buck would have better oppurtunities to win. Also over on this side of the pond our undefeated champions like Ian Jones are also blackbelts in BJJ. Curran looked like a white belt.

At the end of the day the basic principle is that iron sharpens iron.

It's not just a question of what capacity you have, but what capacity your training partners all have, as well.

You could say that, perhaps, the format of olympic tae kwon do for instance is maybe not as 'right headed' as say, savate, but the talent pool that presently competes under the banner of the former would also be a lot deeper than the latter.

Last edited:
Below is a newspaper clipping describing Oswaldo Gracie as a Luta Livre coach of one Social Club (the Minas Tennis Club), as all of you know Luta Livre is based on CACC, Dudu more specifically is who is described in many sources as being the teacher \ coach of George and other Gracies. There is a photo of a newspaper clipping on the fanpage dedicated to George Gracie on facebook where you can find a photo of a Social Club, I believe that from Fluminense, where says that George was teaching Luta Livre at the club. Too lazy to find the thing.

For me it's criminal how Luta Livre\CACC is under credited when talking about the BJJ bases, that is when it is credited at all. Do enough research and you will see that Luta Livre was actually everywhere. Even Dudu taught at George Gracie's academy, for example, which the historian who owns the instagram profile above describes as perhaps the first fighter camp known.

Back